Mike Keneally MK Question #2 - Baked Potato, Surround, Holdsworth?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. PUPSTER

💿🐕 Senior Disc Chaser 🎸
QQ Supporter
I've only recently became aware of just how varied and massive Mike's musical history has been... and being a big fan of many of the same artists as Mike from the 70's on; I figured I'd better get up to speed, and ordered a couple of your 4-packs today on your (web site) :LB

Now, I did notice that one I'd like to try out was "bakin' @ the potato!"; but to my horror, I see that it's sold out :eek:, any chance of a repress on that title?

Also, since this is a "Surround" centric forum, any chance of getting any more of your material in a surround format? (loved "Sluggo!" )

I would love to hear how FZ auditioned you in order to get into his band? (the Steve Vai story is very entertaining!)

I see in your The Tour Chronology: 2007 that you had a gig with Allan Holdsworth (one of my fav guitar players); did you get to play with Allan and what did you take from that experience?

Thanks Mike!

Last edited:
Dec 30th
MIKE:
"Regarding "Bakin' @ the potato" being out of print...it's unfortunately not feasible in the current music biz environment to press up another full production run. However I did find a few copies in my storage not too long ago - VERY few - and I'm going to ship them out to Scott Chatfield next week to put them up for sale on store.keneally.com - I'd recommend checking out the store again shortly after the new year.
XMA Header Image
The Mike Keneally Store
store.keneally.com

Re: surround mixes - we have a few more in our back pocket that Mike Harris did for fun, mostly of material from Scambot 2 but also a couple from You Must Be This Tall and Wing Beat Fantastic, and they sound amazing - we were thinking at one point of including them as part of a multi-disc compilation set, but we've gone off the idea of doing a "greatest hits" kind of thing - in the current environment it doesn't feel right to invite people to pay for material they already own - but we haven't yet settled on the best way to present this surround material. I'm thinking a downloadable package makes the most sense but we haven't had this conversation yet. I'm really happy that people responded so well to the "Sluggo!" remix - we put as much time and effort into that mix as we would any mix of brand new music - arguably more, actually, since it was important to us that the new mixes be a significant improvement over what was originally released (I feel that the new stereo mix in the "Sluggo!" deluxe package is an enormous upgrade compared to the original).

I didn't get to play with Holdsworth, just opened for him...I'm not sure my nervous system could have handled actually playing WITH him
🙂
But what I took from the experience was a beautiful memory anyway, of his kindness about my performance and his general friendliness, and the privilege of being able to hear him play, which was always a magical, beyond special experience."

Dec 30th
MIKE:
"Regarding "Bakin' @ the potato" being out of print...it's unfortunately not feasible in the current music biz environment to press up another full production run. However I did find a few copies in my storage not too long ago - VERY few - and I'm going to ship them out to Scott Chatfield next week to put them up for sale on store.keneally.com - I'd recommend checking out the store again shortly after the new year.
XMA Header Image
The Mike Keneally Store
store.keneally.com

Re: surround mixes - we have a few more in our back pocket that Mike Harris did for fun, mostly of material from Scambot 2 but also a couple from You Must Be This Tall and Wing Beat Fantastic, and they sound amazing - we were thinking at one point of including them as part of a multi-disc compilation set, but we've gone off the idea of doing a "greatest hits" kind of thing - in the current environment it doesn't feel right to invite people to pay for material they already own - but we haven't yet settled on the best way to present this surround material. I'm thinking a downloadable package makes the most sense but we haven't had this conversation yet. I'm really happy that people responded so well to the "Sluggo!" remix - we put as much time and effort into that mix as we would any mix of brand new music - arguably more, actually, since it was important to us that the new mixes be a significant improvement over what was originally released (I feel that the new stereo mix in the "Sluggo!" deluxe package is an enormous upgrade compared to the original).

I didn't get to play with Holdsworth, just opened for him...I'm not sure my nervous system could have handled actually playing WITH him
🙂
But what I took from the experience was a beautiful memory anyway, of his kindness about my performance and his general friendliness, and the privilege of being able to hear him play, which was always a magical, beyond special experience."
Fantastic, thank you Mike K. will definitely try and grab some "Bakin"

Back