How to make Sony SQR-8750 real SQ? + something else...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thans a lot @par4ken !

What about Antena? Today I can buy for example this 300 ohm antena with coax:

https://www.datart.cz/antena-pokojova-gogen-da-918p-pasivni-cerny-da918p.html
But how to connect it to 2 (or 3 connectors) of antena 2 pieces + ground? Do I have to some hoe strip the cable?

View attachment 59819

----

One more thing...

If everything works fine and I listen for example stereo radio and turn SQ function on. What sound goes out from 4 speakers, quadro or 2+2 stereo?

Thanks

That antenna might work OK if you live in a strong signal area, but it's an expensive way of buying what is really only a simple telescopic aerial. It will probably be no better that just simply connecting a couple of metres of wire to the 75 Ohm antenna connection. But if you live in a poor reception area it will not work very well and you will really need a proper external antenna (roof mounted).

That antenna might work OK if you live in a strong signal area, but it's an expensive way of buying what is really only a simple telescopic aerial. It will probably be no better that just simply connecting a couple of metres of wire to the 75 Ohm antenna connection. But if you live in a poor reception area it will not work very well and you will really need a proper external antenna (roof mounted).

@Soundfield - I live in Capital of CZech republic, so I have pretty got radio signal. Acctually radio work fine with the wire only, but it is not so nice to look at. Thats why antena and I believe signal will be even better... Don't You think? But question persist... How to connect the coax cable?

I'm not sure about the antenna. Radio near me us pretty worthless so I don't bother anymore.

As far as turning on the SQ, you'll get a bit of fake quadraphonic sound. The decoder will try to find some phase shifts in the recording and try to decode that. It won't sound great, but it won't be double stereo either.

Does your receiver have any other quad mode? Maybe a RM for regular matrix? That might be better for a fake quad sound from a stereo source.

@gvl_guy - yes, it has more quad modes. But serviceman bypassed the SQ decoder, so now I have just 2+2 stereo. It's bad but sufficient. I'm happy after so long time and things to solve, that amp si working with 4 speakers..

If the internal decoder has been bypassed, you would have to use an external SQ decoder(like the Involve) which would perform better than the Sony decoder anyway, assuming that the 4 channel tape monitor inputs or 4 channel aux input is still functioning independently in all channels when in discrete mode.

Last edited:
Point was, if SQ decoder is able to make quad sound from stereo source somehow or source has to by recorded in SQ format.
Yes it does work from stereo but is best from an SQ encoded source. Dolby Surround (old version) works well via SQ as well. RM might be better for stereo.

I was reading little bit and it seems amp is able to reproduce "real" 4.0 sound (for example THX standard) if 4 discrete inputs are used. Is that true?

If Yes, what kind of device (maybe sound card to computer?) is able to transform or generate 4.0 sound to 4 cinches (LF, RF, LB, RB)?

Thank You very much for advice.

@furui_suterioo - Thanks for advice

Do I understand well that I need two reductions 3,5 jakc --> 2x cinch to plug them to 4xdiscrete input on my amp and then it is "real" 4.0?
Yes, two 3.5 to rca(a.k.a. "aux cables"). My dollar-store wires were too fat to fit next to each other in the closely spaced outputs on this sound card, I had to flatten the sides of the 3.5 plugs with sandpaper. It's not a pretty solution, I didn't want to spend any extra money though, its easier than burning to disc, but I don't even have a disc player anymore, anyway!

Hello everybody,

next question... :)

I am going to use my amp as home cinema 4.0. Idea is I want to use 6 speakers (2x2 front and only 2 back). But how to do that? If I plugged in just 2 back speakers and choose A+B speakers then back speaker doesnot play bacause of A and B speakers are connected in serial.

So any idea? Somehow short the one of back speakers?

Thanks for advice

Hello everybody,

next question... :)

I am going to use my amp as home cinema 4.0. Idea is I want to use 6 speakers (2x2 front and only 2 back). But how to do that? If I plugged in just 2 back speakers and choose A+B speakers then back speaker doesnot play bacause of A and B speakers are connected in serial.

So any idea? Somehow short the one of back speakers?

Thanks for advice
In order to use systems A and B at the same time, there must be load connected to all 8 speaker terminals(I assume). Maybe you could connect a dummy/false 8ohm load to the rear speaker terminals of system B, otherwise maybe use a seperate amp for the additional two front speakers.

@furui_suterioo - thank for advice! Dummy 8 ohms load should by Ok. Do You think is OK to put there just 8 ohms resistor?

-----------

Another question.. :)

How to know what speakers or gramophone is most suitable for (my) amp? Is it about same year of assembe? Or it should be same company (Sony amp, sony speakers, sony gramo, ...) or something else? Or is it just about what sound do You like? Today some person told me for example, the European sound is totally different than Japanesee. So it does not make sence to connect for example German speakers to Sony amp... What is Your oppinion about this topic? What is Your setup?

Thanks for discussion.

@furui_suterioo - thank for advice! Dummy 8 ohms load should by Ok. Do You think is OK to put there just 8 ohms resistor?

-----------

Another question.. :)

How to know what speakers or gramophone is most suitable for (my) amp? Is it about same year of assembe? Or it should be same company (Sony amp, sony speakers, sony gramo, ...) or something else? Or is it just about what sound do You like? Today some person told me for example, the European sound is totally different than Japanesee. So it does not make sence to connect for example German speakers to Sony amp... What is Your oppinion about this topic? What is Your setup?

Thanks for discussion.
I've never tried it, you could also use the speaker terminals to power some kind of cool light display. The SQR-8750 has 30W RMS x 4 with and 80W in 2ch 8ohm so it should be able to power some decent size speakers, I dont think it matters too much if they are Japanese, I wouldn't restrict to only using vintage equipment. I have speakers that I got from a thrift store, a pair of Sansui 3-way circa 1983 with 15 inch woofers paid $25 for the pair, also have some thrift store Fishers of the same size except ported paid $30, both pairs were almost new condition. My Pioneer PL12D turntable also came from the thrift store was $20, I replaced the belt and installed modern cart/stylus and it works fine, even for CD-4. I do want to upgrade to a player with direct drive and quartz lock though.

Last edited:
I've never tried it, you could also use the speaker terminals to power some kind of cool light display. The SQR-8750 has 30W RMS x 4 with and 80W in 2ch 8ohm so it should be able to power some decent size speakers, I dont think it matters too much if they are Japanese, I wouldn't restrict to only using vintage equipment. I have speakers that I got from a thrift store, a pair of Sansui 3-way circa 1983 with 15 inch woofers paid $25 for the pair, also have some thrift store Fishers of the same size except ported paid $30, both pairs were almost new condition. My Pioneer PL12D turntable also came from the thrift store was $20, I replaced the belt and installed modern cart/stylus and it works fine, even for CD-4. I do want to upgrade to a player with direct drive and quartz lock though.

Of course it does not have to be vintage or same company equipment but we are trying to find most suitable combination. I assume for example if some company is offering whole composition (amp, speakers, turntable, ...) it will fit perfectly to each other. Am I right?

Where did You find those prices, in some kind of kids comics? 🤑 Those are unbelievable for me. What is the exact type of each speakers?

Thanks

Where did You find those prices, in some kind of kids comics? 🤑 Those are unbelievable for me. What is the exact type of each speakers?
Those were pretty good deals, it was less than ten years ago, was going to several different thrift stores, there are many thrift stores near me. I still see good deals occasionally(although I haven't been inside since start of covid), found a pioneer RH-65 8 track player at goodwill store for $5 less than three years ago, only needed belt. I have the speaker models on my user profile>About, they aren't high-end speakers but I can't complain, I'm not a speaker expert but I like the sound of the non-ported Sansuis better than the ported Fishers(listening to mostly rock music).

I'm not a speaker expert but I like the sound of the non-ported Sansuis better than the ported Fishers(listening to mostly rock music).

What Does mean ported and non-ported please?

Do You listen music from all 4 speakers? Do You have them in square position? If I listen the music I use just front speakers (actually 4 speakers in front possition). I think about lot of combinations between A+B speakers circuits. A circuit - All 4 speakers in front position just for listening music. And maybe B circuit to square for films...

What Does mean ported and non-ported please?

Do You listen music from all 4 speakers? Do You have them in square position? If I listen the music I use just front speakers (actually 4 speakers in front possition). I think about lot of combinations between A+B speakers circuits. A circuit - All 4 speakers in front position just for listening music. And maybe B circuit to square for films...
A "ported" speaker box has a hole, to help with low frequency sound:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bass_reflex
Yes, I have speakers in a square configuration except with the rear speakers elevated near ceiling level, stacked on top of other speakers from different amps and the front speakers on the floor. I prefer not to use A+B at the same time because it's more demanding for the amplifier but I'm probably being over-cautious. I suggest try out a few different combinations like the one that you have described: front speakers=SPEAKER A FRONT + SPEAKER B FRONT, rear speakers=SPEAKER B REAR,(resistors on SPEAKER A REAR). This would allow you to switch on/off the rear speakers without mixing the front/rear channel locations.

Back