Is this a legit copy of Creedence Gold?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doity

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I thought I had read here on this site about some fake Creedence “Gold” Q8 copies at one time on EBay. Not the biggest fan of theirs but of course do like their stuff. This popped up BIN for $25 and I snagged it because of its supposed rarity. Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265000372165

Fake or not? Looks good to me from what I can tell. I have bought fake MFSL cassettes before on EBay so it is not that far-fetched.

It's pretty difficult to fake a Q8 tape. This one's legit unless somebody has recorded over the content.

It's pretty difficult to fake a Q8 tape. This one's legit unless somebody has recorded over the content.

That is what I would had thought but I swear I read on here about some phony tapes that appeared on Ebay at some point. Time to scour the archives so I can verify that I am not going mad 😀

Oh, yeah.... like 18-20 years ago, some wierd-o was trying his luck at selling fake Q8's.... but dude.... I wish we'd kept pictures.... it was so blatantly obvious it was comical.
It was a literal cut-and-paste job! Logo's from RCA tapes crudely glued to other tapes and a soldering iron used to cut the Quad notch. It was like one of the inmates at the asylum stole the keys for a day. Nobody with half a brain bought these tapes but we all had a good chuckle at someone's expense.

Q-Eight, I had read about the fake Creedence tapes fairly recently so that is why I had them stuck in my mind. The bootleg Mobile Fidelity tapes that were on EBay were extremely good fakes. It wasn’t until you got them in your hands did you know for sure and even then only the most informed could tell the difference.

Looks very real to me, even the cutout sign on the spine. If someone can fake a cart that way, well, it's an artist.

Well I guess the BIN price made me a bit suspicious as I said previous I just had read about some fake Q8’s of the same title. You know......maybe someone had bought one and then tried to get rid of the thing. Kind of like playing ‘hot potato’ but with a 8 track tape instead.

So... How does this puppy sound? Discrete, an upmix, maybe front heavy? I'm sure if you gave it a thumbs up, many of us will start salivating to find our own copy!

Well got the tape today and played it through. Not the biggest Creedence fan but do enjoy their stuff on when heard on the radio.

First impression.......they sure did use the cowbell a lot in their music. Second impression......I don’t think that the music of CCR was the ideal kind of music for the quadraphonic format. Not enough going on to make it interesting and it sounds like it was recorded with AM radio in mind. Third impression......they sure did make liberal use of the cowbell.

Besides that it is what it is. I was surprised that my favorite song on there was “Suzie Q”. I had never thought about that song much but that seemed to be pretty much the only song of the bunch that didn’t bore me. I had heard it countless of times before but it was the only song that captured my attention of the bunch. Probably because of the numerous times during the song that kept you wondering where it was going.

As far as the mix it was adequate, but like I said there is not enough going on in the music to really justify a quad mix. My opinion at least. Now where are my Moody Blues tapes..........

Back