Tidal Adds Dolby Atmos Music

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Supposedly, if you use something like a Dragonfly or some other MQA DAC with TIDAL it will unwrap the whole thing to the highest res of the file.
I've used both the Dragonfly Red and the Chord Mojo with Tidal Masters (MQA). If I remember correctly, when I ask the Tidal app on my computer to decode MQA, I always get 96KhZ files (that's all I can understand from the colours on the DACs, I can't get info on the bit depth). But when the DACs do the decoding, it can also be 48KhZ (so perhaps that was the highest available for the album I was listening to). I'll have to try again. I'll also need to check how the decoding works with my iPhone, via Camera Adapter and Mojo (I sold the Dragonfly).

Qobuz is a great alternative, but it's not available in all countries. In Australia, I think that Tidal is our best option for the moment, and I really like it. I've been having Tidal since 2017 (a family plan that I share with my partner and my sister). We love the interface, the music selection and the fact that it works in wasapi exclusive mode (something that Amazon doesn't do, nor Apple). But I hope Qobuz will come to Australia, at least to try an alternative. I would also buy from them if I was given a chance to!

Hi all, mind if I join you? I'm a beginner and can report that the following setup works:

I have all my music on a PC connected to an Anthem AVM 60 processor. The AVM 60 is Atmos-ready with 11 output channels but I only use four of them, the two fronts and the two surrounds (plus sub). In other words it's a 4.1 setup.

To make this work I had to buy an Apple TV 4K. I connected this to the AVR, not to the TV. I also connected the Apple TV to the network via Ethernet cable to make sure I was getting maximum possible speed. As stated in the Apple instructions, I avoided all ARC inputs and outputs in the chain.

I wondered if I might need to activate the redundant channels on my AVM 60 to make the setup work but in fact it's not necessary. As stated earlier in this thread, as long as your AVR is Atmos-ready, it doesn't matter how many channels you are actually using. You should of course tell your AVR which channels you're not using - it will then mix down those channels into the ones you are using.

I downloaded the Tidal app on the Apple TV and have been using the TV app because I am afraid I would lose resolution if streaming by wifi from an iPhone or iPad.

The one problem I had was that initially, I got the setup wrong and was only getting stereo. Then after correcting the setup, I was still only getting stereo. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the problem is that the Tidal app and/or Apple TV "remembers" an incorrect setting even after you have changed it. It's essential to restart the Apple TV to overcome this. So before giving up on a problem - always try restarting Apple TV.

First impressions: the mixes are a mixed (!) bag - some are very adventurous and others, you wonder why they bothered. I must say I very much like the mastering - I was afraid these would be OTT smiley EQ but in fact I find on the vast majority the top end is extremely gentle on the ear. The bitrate is a bit of a disappointment - I do think they should offer lossless but I can see the problem with so many channels to stream simultaneously. The selection - they have done an extraordinary number of titles in a short space of time so I feel they are doing quite well and it will take me long time to work through the catalogue. My biggest gripe is with the Tidal app - I am really struggling with this and it seems very difficult to use, unintuitive and lacking obvious facilities. The app on the TV is even worse, lacking even the most basic facilities. And the Apple TV remote just makes things worse!

I'm not sure if I'll stick with it. Like many people, I don't like subscription services and £20 a month seems a lot to me. It wouldn't be so bad if it was instead of buying the physical format but much as we might try to persuade ourselves otherwise, I think for most of us, it's as well as! I'm enjoying the experiment, though.

Oh yes - on subscriptions, I only got a one-month Tidal trial. I recommend shopping around to see if you can find a longer one or some other special offer. I've also read that you MUST buy the app on Tidal.com, not via the Apple app store, or you will get surcharged - I don't know if that's true but maybe best to play safe.

You are not getting Atmos with this setup so no reason to pay for Tdal HIFI.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I want to hear the Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks in multichannel surround sound (in my case, 4.1) and that is what I'm getting by subscribing to Tidal Hi Fi. I don't know of any way I can play the Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks in 5.1 or 4.1 or any other multichannel surround sound format without subscribing to Tidal HiFi but if I'm mistaken about that, please tell me!

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. I want to hear the Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks in multichannel surround sound (in my case, 4.1) and that is what I'm getting by subscribing to Tidal Hi Fi. I don't know of any way I can play the Tidal Dolby Atmos tracks in 5.1 or 4.1 or any other multichannel surround sound format without subscribing to Tidal HiFi but if I'm mistaken about that, please tell me!

Well, That's half way.

5.1/4.1 is more than 2.0. That's also exactly what I get on my summer house 5.1 equipment. Have to passthrough to my Vertex 2 to make FireTV/TIDAL 'see' an Atmos capable system.

On my main house Atmos, I get full Atmos from Tidal.

Really, we must be a little geek surround yonkees to pay the TIDAL HiFi subscription, just for Atmos. (But others spend money on other things.... Why not?)

I've used both the Dragonfly Red and the Chord Mojo with Tidal Masters (MQA). If I remember correctly, when I ask the Tidal app on my computer to decode MQA, I always get 96KhZ files (that's all I can understand from the colours on the DACs, I can't get info on the bit depth). But when the DACs do the decoding, it can also be 48KhZ (so perhaps that was the highest available for the album I was listening to). I'll have to try again. I'll also need to check how the decoding works with my iPhone, via Camera Adapter and Mojo (I sold the Dragonfly).

Qobuz is a great alternative, but it's not available in all countries. In Australia, I think that Tidal is our best option for the moment, and I really like it. I've been having Tidal since 2017 (a family plan that I share with my partner and my sister). We love the interface, the music selection and the fact that it works in wasapi exclusive mode (something that Amazon doesn't do, nor Apple). But I hope Qobuz will come to Australia, at least to try an alternative. I would also buy from them if I was given a chance to!
Interseting. Got me thinking. Would there be an improvement putting a Dragonfly between my 4K Fire Cube and AVR?
My Fire Cube is HDMI out to my AVR. I have the Tidal subscription so if the Dragonfly was in then maybe I would get the MQA from Tidal fully unfolded at my end? Or is that just a waste of money?

Interseting. Got me thinking. Would there be an improvement putting a Dragonfly between my 4K Fire Cube and AVR?
My Fire Cube is HDMI out to my AVR. I have the Tidal subscription so if the Dragonfly was in then maybe I would get the MQA from Tidal fully unfolded at my end? Or is that just a waste of money?
I don't think that's worth it. To be honest, I don't hear any difference between software-decoded MQA and MQA decoded by an external DAC. My Denon AVR, for instance, decodes MQA in the same way as the Chord Mojo, with most music showing up at 88.2 sample rate and other music at 96. Don't know why to be honest... I'm trying to focus on different masterings, and if the album is offered in master quality I don't care too much. As long as they offer CD quality, I'm happy with it :)

I don't think that's worth it. To be honest, I don't hear any difference between software-decoded MQA and MQA decoded by an external DAC. My Denon AVR, for instance, decodes MQA in the same way as the Chord Mojo, with most music showing up at 88.2 sample rate and other music at 96. Don't know why to be honest... I'm trying to focus on different masterings, and if the album is offered in master quality I don't care too much. As long as they offer CD quality, I'm happy with it :)
Thank you, I was thinking the same. Even if it was technically correct would I even hear the difference, thanks for your input.

Can you use the Tidal app on iPhone 12 to control Dolby Atmos output through Apple TV and your main system? I can't see a way to do it but tell me I'm wrong.

May have missed posts about these Atmos mixes being added to Tidal, sorry if this was already posted. Personal Shopper is an incredible mix, even if you're not into the new stuff! But really, they all are...

Attachments

• 20201204_213511.jpg
    20201204_213511.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 240
  • 20201204_214728.jpg
    20201204_214728.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 255
  • 20201204_215531.jpg
    20201204_215531.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 20201204_215946.jpg
    20201204_215946.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 20201204_221026.jpg
    20201204_221026.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 230
Listening now to Tidal Atmos Alternative mix, pretty good and has a fairly strong Atmos presentation in the heights.

FYI: I could not access my Tidal app on my Fire Cube, it was there, but when I clicked on it, would not open. Thought I needed the Alexa app on my phone, no that didn't work.
Then just "uninstalled" and reinstalled, with link code and now works fine.
Not sure why it stopped, just one of those techy problems I guess?

Listening now to Tidal Atmos Alternative mix, pretty good and has a fairly strong Atmos presentation in the heights.

FYI: I could not access my Tidal app on my Fire Cube, it was there, but when I clicked on it, would not open. Thought I needed the Alexa app on my phone, no that didn't work.
Then just "uninstalled" and reinstalled, with link code and now works fine.
Not sure why it stopped, just one of those techy problems I guess?

I'm guessing almost all of us have had to uninstall and reinstall at least once.

Given the number of bugs we've discovered and unaddressed complaints we have with Atmos on Tidal and/or Fire Stick, it's a small miracle that so many of us are sticking with it.

I just checked to the filesize of a track streamed using MQA and the same track in Dolby Atmos (E-AC-3 JOC / Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos). I must say I am very disappointed. The song itself was "After Hours" by "The Weeknd". Here the results:
  • MQA Version: 1 628 kb/s, 44.1kHz, 2 Channels, 70.1 MB
  • Dolby Atmos: 768 kb/s, 48.0 kHz, 6 Channels, 33.6 MB
I always felt it was lacking some detail, now I know why, which is very disappointing. Not saying that they distribute this mixes in Dolby TrueHD, but their codec supports up to 6.144 Mbit/s.

I wish many of the albums got eventually released in Blu-ray and everyone had a choice on how to enjoy these multi-channel mixes.

Yesterday I spent my first day really exploring a lot of Tidal Atmos, quite enjoyable.
Atmos excluded, it is amazing how many songs are in 5.1, streaming, that in it self is a major revolution from just 5 or 6 years ago. The foundational 5.1 actually sounds pretty good.
Now the Atmos, 4 in ceiling speakers in my case. Just so/so, not as good as hard discs and movies I have.
Pablo, above me, explains well.
I have the discs of Booka Shade and they are certainly stronger than the same in streaming.
I wonder if Tidal, has ever thought about releasing hard discs of there Atmos play lists.
Why have Coldplay not released there latest in surround when they have before? Lots of inconsistent ideas, in the music business, but that is normal.
I am glad I have Tidal and I certainly will keep my subscription. It will only get better. Just think if they said, we don't want to make it better, that would put a lot of people out of a job.
I just believe they listen to us, and if it is band width, they will fix it at some point.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for asking this about the Tidal App but,

How do I search the Tidal App and get all the tracks on Dolby Atmos and not the playlists?

I would like to pick and add to my favorites list just the tracks that I want

Thank you

Regards,

Finally I gave up. :cautious: After another earsplitting,mind blowing high volume burst when the Tidal app suddenly decided to go non Atmos in the middle of a playlist,I cancelled my subscription. Will not come back if they don't fix this.
Found Kraftwerk,The Catalogue for a good price on amazon.de.This one was one of the main reasons for staying with Tidal,but enough is enough😈.

I'm so sorry for asking this about the Tidal App but,

How do I search the Tidal App and get all the tracks on Dolby Atmos and not the playlists?

I would like to pick and add to my favorites list just the tracks that I want

Thank you

Regards,
Go here: Listening to Now (In Dolby Atmos)

We've got a running thread that has links of all the Atmos on Tidal

Back