Pioneer PLX-1000 turntable

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Lamar couldn't wait to lick the tape on the box. Freak....
I can relate; one of our cat visitors (‘cause you don’t really own them ya know) had a thing for cantaloupe, would even bop you on the leg several times to get your attention for some. Never thought I’d see the day a cat would love fruit.
Oh, and nice table also. :) You’ve inspired me to dig deeper into my old LP collection.

Last edited:
Mostly a lurker here, but think I can make a valid contribution to this thread. I have a Technics SL-1300 TT that recently needed a new cable. I did tons of research and what's important with the cable from the TT to the preamp (built into your amp or stand alone) is capaticance. The lower the better. Capacitance is measured by the foot/meter, so the longer the cable, the higher the capacitance will be. In my case, the TT cable is wired (soldered) to the TT PCB. I ended up purchasing a very low capacitance RCA cable from KAB Electro Acoustics - a Mogami W2528 6ft (I needed the extra length in my situation), for $22.00 + $5.00 shipping. I verified the capacitance with a dedicated Capacitance meter and it was as stated. Of course, I had to cut off the connectors on one end in my situation. If you run a stand alone preamp, the cable from it to your amp can be any good quality cable since you're now at a line level signal and capacitance is not a big deal (as long as it's reasonable). No need to break the bank! My situation requires a 40' run from my preamp to the receiver; and it sounds great IMHO. I did have a custom low capacitance cable made for the long run (but only because it was such a long run). I am also running an Ortofon 2M Blue and very happy with it. As far as the stock TT cables go; it would be interesting to check them with a meter just for fun. I've tested a lot of cables, and expensive certainly doesn't equate to low capacitance !! And a lot of manufacturers don't even know what the capacitance of thier cable is !!!!! The only way to know for sure is to get your own meter. Hope this info helps.

Mostly a lurker here, but think I can make a valid contribution to this thread. I have a Technics SL-1300 TT that recently needed a new cable. I did tons of research and what's important with the cable from the TT to the preamp (built into your amp or stand alone) is capaticance. The lower the better. Capacitance is measured by the foot/meter, so the longer the cable, the higher the capacitance will be. In my case, the TT cable is wired (soldered) to the TT PCB. I ended up purchasing a very low capacitance RCA cable from KAB Electro Acoustics - a Mogami W2528 6ft (I needed the extra length in my situation), for $22.00 + $5.00 shipping. I verified the capacitance with a dedicated Capacitance meter and it was as stated. Of course, I had to cut off the connectors on one end in my situation. If you run a stand alone preamp, the cable from it to your amp can be any good quality cable since you're now at a line level signal and capacitance is not a big deal (as long as it's reasonable). No need to break the bank! My situation requires a 40' run from my preamp to the receiver; and it sounds great IMHO. I did have a custom low capacitance cable made for the long run (but only because it was such a long run). I am also running an Ortofon 2M Blue and very happy with it. As far as the stock TT cables go; it would be interesting to check them with a meter just for fun. I've tested a lot of cables, and expensive certainly doesn't equate to low capacitance !! And a lot of manufacturers don't even know what the capacitance of thier cable is !!!!! The only way to know for sure is to get your own meter. Hope this info helps.

Glad to see you posting on the threads.....and a great first post (y)

Reactions: GOS
Heck yes, your post helps me a LOT! I appreciate it and will take note when I make my decisions. My other concerns (I worry a lot, I know) are about flexibility of the cables. I absolutely hate cables that are so stiff you can't put them where you want them.

Heck yes, your post helps me a LOT! I appreciate it and will take note when I make my decisions. My other concerns (I worry a lot, I know) are about flexibility of the cables. I absolutely hate cables that are so stiff you can't put them where you want them.
I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR on flexibility! The Mogami is really nice in that department. I HATE stiff cables. For general use RCA cables, I use Hosa cables. Find them on Amazon (of course); send them back if you don't like them. Did I mention I LOVE Amazon??? They are notably stiffer than the Mogami (but not unreasonably so), but I think they are a happy compromise between price and quality.

But, what is a reasonably low capacitance reading to shoot for? Is there some standard? I only need about 1 foot to the preamp, but if I can get better than what comes with an AT 120 I'll buy one. This is for a second house we bought on the Susquehanna River, I just have vinyl over there running through a second Mani preamp to Klipsch bookcase active speakers.

Deck view.
IMG_20201229_170205319.jpg

If you run a stand alone preamp, the cable from it to your amp can be any good quality cable since you're now at a line level signal and capacitance is not a big deal
That implies that impedance is voltage dependent. It is not.

So, in relation to the immediate topic about cable typle & length between preamp and AVR, what are you saying?
I’m saying that a cable that has an impedance characteristic that causes attenuation at high frequencies does so equally at phono level and at line level. In other words you cannot improve (flatten) the frequency response of a cable by simply applying a higher voltage to it.

But, what is a reasonably low capacitance reading to shoot for? Is there some standard? I only need about 1 foot to the preamp, but if I can get better than what comes with an AT 120 I'll buy one. This is for a second house we bought on the Susquehanna River, I just have vinyl over there running through a second Mani preamp to Klipsch bookcase active speakers.
The lowest cable capacitance I've ever run across is the Blue Jeans Cable BJC LC-1 at 12 pF/ft (per foot of cable length). That's considered extremely low. They are a bit pricey though. In the teens and twenties is considered low. The Mogami cable I mentioned in my earlier comment (the one I actually received) measures in at 23 pF/ft; a bit higher than claimed (variance in materials, my meter, who knows). I've measured various other cables as high as 90+ pF/ft. Remember, If a cable's capacitance is quoted for the TOTAL length of the cable, you will need to divide that number by the length of the cable to get the per foot/meter measurement. Now, all of this "low capacitance stuff" is based on generally accepted knowledge. Whether you personally will hear any difference one way or another is going to be your call. Our ears are the weak link in all of this! In my case, I can't honestly say I hear a difference between a high or low capacitance cable; I've tried both. I just prefer to do things "right" (within reason of course)! Like many things in this hobby, opinions and knowledge will vary greatly.

So, here's the deal. I took my time, got it all set up right. Right off the bat, I put on Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Not to be dramatic, but holy shit. I promise you, this system, as is, BLOWS my previous one clean off the map. I swear, I went and got my wife and made her listen. So, what's different?

1. Separation across speakers
2. Fidelity
3. The upper end fidelity is off the charts compared to what I'm used to. (that's why I chose Piper, cause it has all kinds of stuff going on)
4. Silence between tracks
5. I can put it on my glass shelf, and it doesn't rumble!!!!!

Sorry Kap - I'm not going to do a A/B vs my OM30. Too much of a pain in the ass to change all the settings as they are very different carts. All I know is, this current setup totally blows my previous one away. Hands down, no contest.

So - when I get my preamp, if I can't tell any difference using that, vs my AVR phono inputs.....I'll simply return it.

Back