Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dream Theater: Distance Over Time (Blu Ray 5.1)

R-13260016-1550916503-6142.jpeg.jpg

I had no idea that this was released as a quad sacd, did i just assume ap and japanese bb sacd discs were just stereo? I now need to go hunting for this. any other quad bb sacds out there?

Van, you might be a bit disappointed with the QUAD mix as it's really double Stereo as Analogue Productions had NOT 'decoded' it in the proper matrix configuration in which it was encoded.

Worth noting on Surf's Up is Stephen Desper's engineering work — the entire album was mixed to a center channel quad matrix that he was developing at the time. Surf's Up hit the Top 30 on its first release, reaching No. 29 on the Billboard LP charts — the highest chart placement the group had had since 1967.

Note: Acoustic Sounds description does list it as a stereo sacd but audio does come out of all four speakers:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...,chart placement the group had had since 1967.

Last edited:
Van, you might be a bit disappointed with the QUAD mix as it's really double Stereo as Analogue Productions 'decoded' it not in the proper matrix configuration in which it was encoded.

Worth noting on Surf's Up is Stephen Desper's engineering work — the entire album was mixed to a center channel quad matrix that he was developing at the time. Surf's Up hit the Top 30 on its first release, reaching No. 29 on the Billboard LP charts — the highest chart placement the group had had since 1967.

Note: Acoustic Sounds description does list it as a stereo sacd but audio does come out of all four speakers:

https://store.acousticsounds.com/d/...,chart placement the group had had since 1967.

Just did some research on this thread, very disappointing, at least i dont have to now go chasing a copy
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...nnel-with-4-0-mixes.22348/page-10#post-399462

You mean to tell me that I’ve been collecting longer than Clinty? 😲

Although I've always loved music I was indeed a late entrant into the hi rez/surround world...and I had to pay my dues...those titles that early adopters paid $20 for I paid $100 or more...but it was worth it...I lurked on here for several years before joining....Gos and I were buds on another forum...mostly into video at that time...Gos joined in 2013 so I followed a year later....I had to use the polls in the early days to find out what I wanted to purchase...plus help from members like fredblue on what discs to buy...it's been a great ride...I must admit that OLED and advances in video are pulling me back to video again...once my situation changes(being a caregiver for my sister)I will probably jump head first in the video waters again...but I won't abandon hi rez/surround music...not a chance..

Although I've always loved music I was indeed a late entrant into the hi rez/surround world...and I had to pay my dues...those titles that early adopters paid $20 for I paid $100 or more...but it was worth it...I lurked on here for several years before joining....Gos and I were buds on another forum...mostly into video at that time...Gos joined in 2013 so I followed a year later....I had to use the polls in the early days to find out what I wanted to purchase...plus help from members like fredblue on what discs to buy...it's been a great ride...I must admit that OLED and advances in video are pulling me back to video again...once my situation changes(being a caregiver for my sister)I will probably jump head first in the video waters again...but I won't abandon hi rez/surround music...not a chance..
Yes, laying out the big bucks for OOP titles hurts but, as time goes on, your collection becomes more and more valuable (not that you’re looking to sell). I was fortunate enough to have a Circuit City(remember them?) up the street, plus I had one of the earlier OPPOs so life was good. Like you, I’m a lifelong music fan and album collector. Truth be told, however, I got into surround through watching videos. I soon learned that there was music out there in surround and figured, why not give it a try? Most of the videos I own are music documentaries or live concerts, however, I do have a small collection of movie dramas. Anyway, all roads lead to Rome, and where would we all be without super helpful guys like Adam?

Meanwhile back in the year one
When you belonged to no one
You didn't stand a chance, son
If your pants were undone

'Cause you were bred, for humanity
And sold to society
One day you'll wake up, in the present day
A million generations removed from expectations
Of being who you really want to be
Skating away, skating away, skating away

On the thin ice of the new day . . .
1610904456475.png
Jethro Tull WarChild (The 40th Anniversary Theatre Edition)
POLL

Back in the early 00's, I cannot recall the vendor but they were selling DVD~A's for under $14 and I couldn't buy them fast enough. Wish I had jumped into the SACD bandwagon at the same time but I had invested heavily in DVD~Audio hardware. Silly me, I should've realized that SONY'S deep[er] pockets would've eventually triumphed as to this day the SACD format has endured. Fortuitously, I did play catchy uppy with SACD although I do lack some of those coveted multi channel SACDs from the early 00's. I technically joined QQ Forum in 2013 but NEVER posted until January 2015 when SA~CD.net's forum ceased and went 'commercial,' at the behest of fredblue [ADAM] who convinced me to actively post.

It's certainly been a joyous ride and should be evident to us all that QQ forum has advanced that shot heard 'round the world to the audio community. Albums we'd never imagine would receive the surround treatment have been and will be released in surround and now with Dolby Atmos, a whole new era is upon us.

As for paying $100 and up for OOP DVD~!A/SACD software ...... NAY! And I've even seen QR reels priced on ebay at upwards of $1K which back in the day I paid under $15 for BRAND NEW. Rather spend the $$$ on UPGRADING my equipment [which I HAVE] and continue to collect UHD4K films, some of which have been deliciously priced at under $8!!!!!

And as we enter this new year, MOST of us quarantining, what better way to wile away the time than revisiting those surround treasures especially those which have remained unopened and look forward to pre~announced surround titles from both the majors ... and the 'minors.'

Life IS Good!

Back in the early 00's, I cannot recall the vendor but they were selling DVD~A's for under $14 and I couldn't buy them fast enough. Wish I had jumped into the SACD bandwagon at the same time but I had invested heavily in DVD~Audio hardware. Silly me, I should've realized that SONY'S deep[er] pockets would've eventually triumphed as to this day the SACD format has endured. Fortuitously, I did play catchy uppy with SACD although I do lack some of those coveted multi channel SACDs from the early 00's. I technically joined QQ Forum in 2013 but NEVER posted until January 2015 when SA~CD.net's forum ceased and went 'commercial,' at the behest of fredblue [ADAM] who convinced me to actively post.

It's certainly been a joyous ride and should be evident to us all that QQ forum has advanced that shot heard 'round the world to the audio community. Albums we'd never imagine would receive the surround treatment have been and will be released in surround and now with Dolby Atmos, a whole new era is upon us.

As for paying $100 and up for OOP DVD~!A/SACD software ...... NAY! And I've even seen QR reels priced on ebay at upwards of $1K which back in the day I paid under $15 for BRAND NEW. Rather spend the $$$ on UPGRADING my equipment [which I HAVE] and continue to collect UHD4K films, some of which have been deliciously priced at under $8!!!!!

And as we enter this new year, MOST of us quarantining, what better way to wile away the time than revisiting those surround treasures especially those which have remained unopened and look forward to pre~announced surround titles from both the majors ... and the 'minors.'

Life IS Good!

i'd love to Love this but Ralphie won't let me! 😘😘 so i'll go back to being a Beatle groupie without a +1 💘

Good advice, Ralph! There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so . . . here are two from Poco that i used to think were "bad" until i heard them in this glorious D-V 2-fer: so very "good"!
View attachment 61833 Poco Cantamos & Seven

POLL

DVs SACD rendering is spectacular sounding and fully discrete and my goto for these albums now.

i do however have the Involve Surround Master Aussie Brainboxes to thank for the initial Poco Quadrorevelation..!! 😱 🎯

that cheeky wee plastic box of antipodean brainboxness rendered the SQ LPs of "Seven" and then "Cantamos" so splendidly i was hooked, cooked, caught in the Quadro trap! 🥰 😋

Back