SPOTLIGHT The classical music general discussion thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always nice to have an excuse to listen to one thing instead of another. I have those two. Any opinion of this one?
View attachment 61734

An Excellent album superbly recorded.
81keduS-NpL._SL1436_.jpg

Read the Review at HRAudio.net

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9044#reviews

Always nice to have an excuse to listen to one thing instead of another. I have those two. Any opinion of this one?
View attachment 61734
I downloaded this one to find out. The performance is OK, to be sure, but the sound is not competitive with the MTT. You only have to listen to the opening minute of "Short Ride" to realize that you can barely hear any of the woodwinds that are so clear and delectable on the MTT.

Last edited:
An Excellent album superbly recorded.
81keduS-NpL._SL1436_.jpg

Read the Review at HRAudio.net

https://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9044#reviews
I read it and I must say that in comparing this with the MTT and saying "Direct comparison between the two recordings does marginally favour the latter" is an unfortunate use of the word "marginally." OTOH, I do agree with his later statement that "Nevertheless, the Chandos trump card for many listeners could well be the inclusion on this disc of Adams's 'Dr. Atomic Symphony' making its first appearance on SACD. "

This week's discounted new title at eClassical is Allan Pettersson's 12th Symphony, part of Christian Lindberg's cycle with the Norrkoping Symphony.

Is anybody here a Pettersson fan? If so, can you "testify" (about his symphonic music and/or about these recordings on BIS)? I've done some quick Google-reading, but otherwise I don't know the first thing about him.
https://www.eclassical.com/conducto...on-symphony-no-12-the-dead-in-the-square.html

New surround SACD from Tacet! Seems they can do no wrong, so I guess I'm buying it :unsure:. Oh, who am I fooling, I have all their others ;)

View attachment 62042
I am going to be a complainer: Aside from the surround immersion, is there any reason to acquiring yet more versions of these familiar pieces and from comparatively minor artists?

I am going to be a complainer: Aside from the surround immersion, is there any reason to acquiring yet more versions of these familiar pieces and from comparatively minor artists?

For some of us, the reason is precisely the surround immersion! (I know that's emphatically not your thing...)

1611287779814.png

But as it happens, the 9th is also a case of a Shostakovich symphony I don't have in a performance by a more prominent orchestra. For the 5th, I'll probably stick with Ormandy and Honeck.

While I played classical piano in my youth, my later teen years, college, and onward involved rock of all sorts. Surround sound brought me back into listening to classical, so I have no non-surround classical (!) previous to the surround ones. So this is rather fresh for me!

For some of us, the reason is precisely the surround immersion! (I know that's emphatically not your thing...)
But as it happens, the 9th is also a case of a Shostakovich symphony I don't have in a performance by a more prominent orchestra. For the 5th, I'll probably stick with Ormandy and Honeck.
While I played classical piano in my youth, my later teen years, college, and onward involved rock of all sorts. Surround sound brought me back into listening to classical, so I have no non-surround classical (!) previous to the surround ones. So this is rather fresh for me!
Granted but I gather there is no reason for me to want to hear it.

It is fair to point out that there's been a lot of Shostakovich 5ths on SACD: HRAudio.net - Recordings. And I feel like most people have the Kitajenko cycle, and other recordings as well. I'm intrigued but the way Shostakovich can be really percussive has the potential to be kind of unpleasant in a active surround setting.

I count 5!

All great ones. Very excited to hear more Boulez. As for the others: Kal's point about still more versions of familiar pieces (not minor conductor/ensembles) applies. But I'll snap 'em up anyway.

Does anyone know who the mixers are on any of these?

[Edit: partial answers below.]

Last edited:
Back