New DV Releases for January 2021! (Mott the Hoople, BTO, Burton Cummings, Grover Washington Jr!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But nothing can compete with the Burton Cummings cover of "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet. That alone is worth the price of admission.

What is with the electric shaver sound around the 1:35 mark? Thought I was listening to a parody version of the song. Gonna pass on the jazz/big band/piano bar version of this song. Happy for those that like this release though.

I ordered all four of the Rock/Jazz SACDs plus all five of the new D~V Classical releases [which, IMO, are stunning] and chose priority shipping/handling.

When one considers how many QUAD/Stereo titles are included in this bonanza, a VERITABLE BARGAIN!

Thanks again to Michael and his hard working staff at D~V for making this frigid January day WAY MORE TOLERABLE.

I'll have to audition these, but I imagine I'm at least in for one or two...

Oh my goodness....

I'm with Baggy. I'll probably buy most of the pop titles more out of duty than excitement. (I'm prepared to be surprised, though.) But the classicals: wow! If the new Boulezes are anything like the Boulez-Bartoks, they'll be reference discs. And the Bernstein/Stravinsky is a dream come true. Not that I need yet another Rite of Spring (let alone, re the Stokowskis, another Mahler 2d or Beethoven 3d). But I'll take 'em.

More than anything, I'm glad the D-V dam has burst!

No surprise they got access to the Columbia Burton. We sort of knew that was coming what with all the Guess Who's and the door virtually wide-open on the CBS library.
But the BTO stuff. Damn. That's impressive. Pretty sure they had to get Mr. B's permission for those. Perhaps all my nattering at him over the years finally made him relent? hehehe
Dreams coming true, really. Who'd have imagined we'd get pretty much all the Guess Who Quads, the Burton and I'm sure the rest of the BTO's will follow. I wonder now if there are other titles under the UMG umbrella that we may see in the future?

So you know damn well I'm ordering those two. Plus the Hoople plus Argent that I missed last time around. That's good enough for me.

Yeah, MORE was always my drug of choice; however, given the current state of affairs on the postal delivery front, i'll be lucky to have them by the Ides of March! Back to listening–i'm on my fourth disc today . . . i really do have a problem. . . .
Nah, you may get your musical drugs from your dealer sooner than that. I’m hopeful that Michael Dutton will say, “I’m your vehicle, baby!”

Wow! I was never all that impressed with the sound quality on the BTO Q8's and had been trying to track down the extremely rare Japanese CD-4 LPs, which have sold in the $200-$500 range. It absolutely blows my mind that we're getting both on SACD for under $20 USD.

Mott The Hoople is one I've been requesting for a while now, thrilled to see it finally materialize. I think it's a really underrated title--the quad mix is radically different than the original stereo version with tons of added echo/delay on the drum kit and vocals, which is interesting as I've usually found CBS' quads to be generally much drier-sounding than their stereo counterparts. The song "Roll Away The Stone" sounds like it might've been upmixed (the rears on the Q8 tape have everything that's in the fronts except the lead vocal), but the rest of the album is very discrete--there's one track where the vocals jump from speaker-to-speaker during the chorus and maniacal laughing comes from one of the rear speakers as it fades in.

DV Jan 2021.jpg

Aw shoot! I was hoping for some more Ray Conniff!! :ROFLMAO:

Just kidding. THIS IS GREAT!!

You just knew they had stuff in the works that just got slowed down due to the freaking horrible pandemic. It's almost a year now since this stuff all happened. What a nightmare.

So this is an AWESOME light at the end of the tunnel. Get your orders in and show them that there is still a market for their stuff and that we support them with our wallets so they can go forward with more and more stuff.

This qualifies for an official QQ "Woo Hoo!" :SB

Dreams coming true, really. Who'd have imagined we'd get pretty much all the Guess Who Quads, the Burton and I'm sure the rest of the BTO's will follow.

I've never heard the quad mixes of Four Wheel Drive and Head On, though I seem to recall reading here that they're less discrete-sounding than the other three. Can you comment?

So, the classical stuff! So exciting.

Boulez conducts Falla: The Three Cornered Hat and Harpsichord Concerto (original full LP) plus Dukas: La Peri (half LP). The Three Cornered Hat is a classic ballet that you've probably heard even if you don't know it (video below). I don't know the harpsichord concerto, but I'm guessing it's neoclassical and typical of the period. Something new at least. La Peri is a ballet by Paul Dukas, who is mostly remembered for The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but wrote some other great music as well. This was originally coupled with the Roussell Symphony No. 3, which was previously reissued by DV.

Stokowski conducts Beethoven (and Brahms): The Beethoven 3rd, the "Eroica," is a cornerstone of the classical repertoire. Stokowski was in his 90s when he recorded this but you wouldn't know it - wonderful music typical of his late period. Ditto the overtures, which are favorites. Even if you're not much into classical you can't go wrong with this one. I believe the Brahms "Academic Festival" Overture was originally coupled on LP with the Brahms 4th Symphony, which was a CD coupling with...

Stokowski conducts Mahler's 2nd Symphony (originally 2LP): This has been one of my top requests. Stokowski was 89 or 90 when he recorded this, one of the last living connections to Mahler himself - he had witnessed Mahler prepare rehearsals and conduct the Munich premiere of his 8th Symphony the year before he died in 1911. 65 years later Stokowski made this recording, having seen everything that had happened to the world in the interim. This has previously been available as a Dolby Surround CD, and I'm so excited to be able to make the switch to discrete SACD. Also great this fit on one disc. Speaking of top requests...

Bernstein conducts Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (1 LP) and Symphony of Psalms, and Poulenc's Gloria (a 2nd LP): This was Bernstein's 2nd recording of The Rite of Spring, and has been long seen as sonically difficult in stereo. I'm really curious to hear a proper quad transfer. The second LP was never released in quad, but a quad mix of the Symphony of Psalms has circulated in reel form. Michael Dutton has completed the picture with a new quad mix of the Poulenc, which is cause for celebration itself. Speaking of new quad mixes...

Boulez conducts Ravel's Daphnis & Chloe (1LP) plus Stravinsky's Song of The Nightingale (???): Another Boulez/New York recording we're lucky to get of the complete ballet in the original quad mix. He also recorded the suites, which Sony released on a stereo-only SACD - HRAudio.net - Boulez Conducts Ravel - but this recording of the complete ballet is a completely different one. There aren't that many recordings of the complete ballet on SACD - the essential Charles Munch one (2-channel living stereo) and two others in modern surround. This is a welcome addition. It kind of looks like The Song of the Nightingale was recorded in the 70s but not actually released on LP, and was first released on CD in the 80s. Once again, it looks like Michael Dutton has done a quad mix himself of this piece.

I've never heard the quad mixes of Four Wheel Drive and Head On, though I seem to recall reading here that they're less discrete-sounding than the other three. Can you comment?

They're not four-corner, Larry Keyes discrete, but don't forget they also transitioned from 16-track to 24-track by those albums. 24-track is almost an entirely different method of recording because they then had space to record a single guitar in stereo; or use 12 mikes and record the drums across 6 or even 8 tracks. It's sort of like how stereo narrowed significantly in the late 70's with 24-track, because they were recording instruments in stereo. While it gives you added flexibility in mixing, on the consumer end.... it just comes out fat mono.

But, in regards to those BTO albums, there's still quite a bit going on. Lots of front and rear separation, but the drums are definitely miked with many, many microphones to the point you can practically have a cymbal crash in BL, a snare hit in FL, kicker Dead Center, a tom strike in FR and the floor tom in BR. But, remember with 24-track, you have the added benefit of being able to mic the drum piece up close and personal AND have another track capture the air space around it.

Quad could have gotten very interesting in the late 70's had it kept going. Some engineers and producers had some really cool ideas on how to record things when they had the space to do so.

So, the classical stuff! So exciting.

Boulez conducts Falla: The Three Cornered Hat and Harpsichord Concerto (original full LP) plus Dukas: La Peri (half LP). The Three Cornered Hat is a classic ballet that you've probably heard even if you don't know it (video below). I don't know the harpsichord concerto, but I'm guessing it's neoclassical and typical of the period. Something new at least. La Peri is a ballet by Paul Dukas, who is mostly remembered for The Sorcerer's Apprentice, but wrote some other great music as well. This was originally coupled with the Roussell Symphony No. 3, which was previously reissued by DV.

Stokowski conducts Beethoven (and Brahms): The Beethoven 3rd, the "Eroica," is a cornerstone of the classical repertoire. Stokowski was in his 90s when he recorded this but you wouldn't know it - wonderful music typical of his late period. Ditto the overtures, which are favorites. Even if you're not much into classical you can't go wrong with this one. I believe the Brahms "Academic Festival" Overture was originally coupled on LP with the Brahms 4th Symphony, which was a CD coupling with...

Stokowski conducts Mahler's 2nd Symphony (originally 2LP): This has been one of my top requests. Stokowski was 89 or 90 when he recorded this, one of the last living connections to Mahler himself - he had witnessed Mahler prepare rehearsals and conduct the Munich premiere of his 8th Symphony the year before he died in 1911. 65 years later Stokowski made this recording, having seen everything that had happened to the world in the interim. This has previously been available as a Dolby Surround CD, and I'm so excited to be able to make the switch to discrete SACD. Also great this fit on one disc. Speaking of top requests...

Bernstein conducts Stravinsky's Rite of Spring (1 LP) and Symphony of Psalms, and Poulenc's Gloria (a 2nd LP): This was Bernstein's 2nd recording of The Rite of Spring, and has been long seen as sonically difficult in stereo. I'm really curious to hear a proper quad transfer. The second LP was never released in quad, but a quad mix of the Symphony of Psalms has circulated in reel form. Michael Dutton has completed the picture with a new quad mix of the Poulenc, which is cause for celebration itself. Speaking of new quad mixes...

Boulez conducts Ravel's Daphnis & Chloe (1LP) plus Stravinsky's Song of The Nightingale (???): Another Boulez/New York recording we're lucky to get of the complete ballet in the original quad mix. He also recorded the suites, which Sony released on a stereo-only SACD - HRAudio.net - Boulez Conducts Ravel - but this recording of the complete ballet is a completely different one. There aren't that many recordings of the complete ballet on SACD - the essential Charles Munch one (2-channel living stereo) and two others in modern surround. This is a welcome addition. It kind of looks like The Song of the Nightingale was recorded in the 70s but not actually released on LP, and was first released on CD in the 80s. Once again, it looks like Michael Dutton has done a quad mix himself of this piece.

Fabulous to have all that context, @ubertrout.

And for fans of specific quad mixers: the Boulez discs were mixed by Ray Moore, and the Bernstein/Stravinsky by Larry Keyes.

Soul Box and BTO are a instant buy.... and three conversion to retire for good.
BTW, the Soul box blurb make me think they used a commercial quad reel. Which is ok anyway.
It has been done that way in the past.

Back