Forget reality, what is your dream multichannel release?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Goodness, a wishlist. Some bands I would love to hear in surround, in no particular order:

1. Van Der Graaf Generator, especially "Pawn Hearts" and "Godbluff."
2. Dead Can Dance
4. Joy Division
3. Peter Gabriel
5. The Cure
6. Frank Zappa
7. David Sylvian
8. Kate Bush
OMG! Another VdGG fan in Cali? I remember going to see Peter Hammill at the Troubadour in the late 70s and wondering what the crowd would look like, since outside of a few friends I knew of no one who even knew who he was. For years I had a license plate, PawnHrt. And then there's Kate Bush... :)

This has been going on so long, I don't remember if I made a list. I have a lot of dreams Here goes...

1. Patrick Moraz - Story of I (crazy percussion and keyboards would be a wild ride in 5.1)
2. 801 - Live
3. The Who - Who's Next (an obvious missing album)
4. Kate Bush (all of her stuff... It is truly just an impossible dream to how for SW to do this)
5. Van der Graff - God Bluff and Pawn Hearts
6. Roxy Music (The rest of their collection, please)
7. Caravan - For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night
8. The Cars - The Cars
9. Dixie Dregs - What if and Freefall (Imagine imagine the final part of Cruise control bouncing around your living room)
10. Klaus Schulze - Timewind (maybe there will have to be a warning about the final seconds of Bayreuth Returns)
11. Peter Gabriel - Those first "Peter Gabriel" albums.
12. Pointer Sisters - The Pointer Sisters (the first album was really good and well produced)
13. Procol Harum - Grand Hotel
14. Sam Phillips - Martinis and Bikinis (T-Bone did a great production job on that one)
15. Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy (do it right this time)
16. Strawbs - Bursting at the Seams
17. Supertramp - Crime of the Century
18. Traffic (everything, especially Low Spark...)
19. U.K. - U.K.
20. Jean-Luc Ponty - Imaginary Voyage

There's a pretty decent Peter Gabriel hits DVD that has a nice surround mix. Peter Gabriel, Play - The Videos. Also his album Up was released on mch SACD.
https://www.discogs.com/Peter-Gabriel-Play-The-Videos/release/2689652
Would love to hear some Kate Bush (I nearly put something else) at some point... Steven Wilson has said he'd like to work on some of the catalogue so you never know? The Cure would be great too... :)

Oh, right-- I own "Up," though I don't think it's Gabriel's strongest outing. I recall reading (around the time that the Genesis stuff was being released) that he wanted to release all his stuff in 5.1, and I recall reading that they did make a 5.1 of "So," so I figure that one is ready to be released. But he must be a very busy man, ha, ha, ha.

There's a 12-year old article here where Wilson lists his top-20 albums he'd like to mix in 5.1 (he actually did end up doing some of his picks), and he does include Kate Bush.

Some of his choices are predictable, some of them are pretty great. Massive Attack's "Mezzanine" would sound phenomenal in 5.1. He also lists NIN's "The Fragile," which would be great. I also recall reading Trent Reznor a few years back saying he had a 5.1 version of that album ready to be released. Any day now... (Reznor has released 2 of the other NIN albums in 5.1 on the old DualDisk format.)
Wilson lists another one of my favorite albums, Japan's "Tin Drum." Japan Drummer Steve Jansen has mentioned on Facebook that the multitrack tapes of that album (as well as those of "Gentlemen take polaroids") have been irreparably damaged, so, sadly, that ain't happening.

One of the best-sounding 5.1 disks I own is Love and Rockets' "Seventh dream of teenage heaven." I'd love to hear more stuff in that postpunk, goth-y genre--the more creative side of that genre, anyway.

EDIT: now that I'm actually reading the rest of the thread, I see that some of the above has already been mentioned a few times. :)

OMG! Another VdGG fan in Cali? I remember going to see Peter Hammill at the Troubadour in the late 70s and wondering what the crowd would look like, since outside of a few friends I knew of no one who even knew who he was. For years I had a license plate, PawnHrt. And then there's Kate Bush... :)

🙌 I'm in the North Bay! I ended up seeing Hammill live a few times in the '90s, when I lived in Europe. :) It was remarkable how he seemed to give himself completely to his music and the audience. I wouldn't have been able to see him in the '70s though, I was still waddling around in diapers then.

Last edited:
{QUOTE]🙌 I'm in the North Bay! I ended up seeing Hammill live a few times in the '90s, when I lived in Europe. :) It was remarkable how he seemed to give himself completely to his music and the audience. I wouldn't have been able to see him in the '70s though, I was still waddling around in diapers then.
[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. When I saw him, he forgot the lyrics to a House with No Door... mumbling to himself, he suddenly started quoting a line from Richard the 3rd and then the lyrics came back to him and he continued. It was an amazing moment. I'm so glad I have it on tape.

Tangerine Dream - White Eagle, Tangram, Stratosfear, Logos
Andreas Vollenweider - Book of Roses
Vangelis - Heaven and Hell, Spiral
Jean-Michel Jarre - Equinoxe, Les Champs Chants Magnétiques
Peter Gabriel 4
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Alan Parsons Project - EVE
Caravan - Cunning Stunts, Waterloo Lily
Mike Oldfield - QE2
David Bowie - Hunky Dory, The Man Who Sold The World
Prince - Around The World In A Day, Parade

I didn’t know Carlos was still alive! I just double-checked, and she’s 81 years old. At that age she might have other concerns than rereleases of her music, but who knows.

There are so many to contemplate. Here are a generous handful.
On a different day I could come up with 20 more.

Abba
Beck (more than currently available)
Blind Faith
Blur
Bowie
The Bevis Frond
The Cardigans (especially Gran Turismo)
Chumbawamba (Slap and Anarchy)
Death Cab For Cutie
Fairport Convention
Peter Gabriel (first 4 albums)
Roy Harper
PJ Harvey
George Harrison
Jayhawks
Sinead O'Connor (first album especially)
Pink Floyd -Animals and Relics
The Police
Richard Thompson (only 2 releases so far)
The Waterboys
Ween
The Who
World Party

There are so many to contemplate. Here are a generous handful.
On a different day I could come up with 20 more.

Abba
Beck (more than currently available)
Blind Faith
Blur
Bowie
The Bevis Frond
The Cardigans (especially Gran Turismo)
Chumbawamba (Slap and Anarchy)
Death Cab For Cutie
Fairport Convention
Peter Gabriel (first 4 albums)
Roy Harper
PJ Harvey
George Harrison
Jayhawks
Sinead O'Connor (first album especially)
Pink Floyd -Animals and Relics
The Police
Richard Thompson (only 2 releases so far)
The Waterboys
Ween
The Who
World Party
You had me with ABBA. 😁

Joe Jackson Night and Day.

Attachments

• 37931680-3B47-4673-B4C3-05AE716470E4.jpeg
    37931680-3B47-4673-B4C3-05AE716470E4.jpeg
    18.2 KB · Views: 77
I'm not big on movie scores in 5.1 (would much rather experience them as part of the film then in isolation) but to hear something like the original scores for some of his Leone films in full isolated surround would have been something. I saw The Hateful Eight in theaters more for his music than to see the latest Tarantino movie. Glad I had that opportunity, and to see him win the Oscar for it later.

I was thinking as a San Franciscan, we have Santana and The Doobie Brothers in surround, wouldn't it be cool to have Journey in surround, the perfect San Francisco triple threat.

Back