Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Listened to it on Spotify, guess I didn't realise how much of the album we've actually already heard. Only three new songs really, not counting the opener Unself. I like it, but one thing I do miss a bit on this album and To the Bone is a sense of flow. I remember about 15 years ago when he went on this rant against ipods and how they were destroying the album format (believe there was a video of him smashing up ipods as well). I'm totally fine with the new musical styles and of course do believe that each song on an album should be strong and stand on its own. I just wish they sounded more connected.

That aside, good album. Favourite tracks probably King Ghost and Man of the People.

I think the fact that it does flow & feels connected, makes this album what is is. I think other albums have been more disjointed. This feels like an album, rather than individual songs, to make up an album.

Hi Mcallister, it is my understanding that to make an Atmos file, rip the disc using MKV and then with Music Media Helper you want to convert to an MKA file, but JRiver will not play MKA Atmos files.
I hope I am wrong, and someone can tell me they are playing ripped Atmos files via JRiver, that would be great.
I looked on the JRiver forum and I just don't think they are there yet?

I've got mkv files versions of KRAFTWERK 3D. I can get Atmos (and 3D) to work via Jriver 24. And yes it was a fight.

1611959221553.png

I've a Marantz NR1710

I created a new Zone called "Atmos". After mmm-ing and ahh-ing I changed the Bitstreaming option for this Zone to Yes (HDMI). From the drop down in the Device settings after I'd plugged my Laptop into the amp via HDMI I saw there was an option 1 - marantz -AVR (AMD High Definition Audio Device) [WASAPI] (as below)

1611959566110.png

And lo when I play back an MKV or a Blu-Ray iso with Atmos, Atmos mix streams.

Obviously mileage will vary, errors and omissions accepted (or excepted) solution provided "as is", serving suggestion, enjoy as part of a healthy lifestyle, contents may vary etcetera.

Now for the 3D option from MKV I followed the steps in this post

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,115543.msg803243.html#msg803243
Of course I didn't realise that this only works if you aren't using the screen on the laptop. My laptop can't display a 3D image on a 3D display at the same time it is showing a 2D image on the laptop monitor. So I close the laptop and lo it worked.

EDIT EDIT EDIT

I also changed this from the Device options

1611961654917.png

Last edited:
Listened to it on Spotify, guess I didn't realise how much of the album we've actually already heard. Only three new songs really, not counting the opener Unself. I like it, but one thing I do miss a bit on this album and To the Bone is a sense of flow. I remember about 15 years ago when he went on this rant against ipods and how they were destroying the album format (believe there was a video of him smashing up ipods as well). I'm totally fine with the new musical styles and of course do believe that each song on an album should be strong and stand on its own. I just wish they sounded more connected.

That aside, good album. Favourite tracks probably King Ghost and Man of the People.

Interesting, I happen to be listening To The Bone right now (waiting for The Future Bites). I think the album flows really nicely. The surround mix is really consistent throughout the album and adds to the cohesiveness of the album. Maybe try listening to the instrumental-only version again, perhaps it will shift your opinion a bit.

Then again, I don't tend to hyper analyze music, generally I like something or I don't.

My Deluxe Boxset and the red vinyl are on the way to Canada via DHL from the official store.
But DHL is charging me $41.73 CAD for Taxes/Duties to be able to deliver the parcel.
It seems that the £38.00 ($66 CAD) I paid for shipping didn't cover that. :confused:

Seriously! Pretty expensive for 38 minutes of music!o_O

Anyone having issues seeing the main menu? I'm listening on an Oppo 83 and it's stuck on the start-up caroline International screen
Mine wouldn't even start , so took it out of the Sony X800M2...gave it a careful wipe over, put it back in...all good.
This is not the first time I've had to do this with a new disc... :unsure:
Hope this helps.

That didn't work either. My neighbour tried the disc in his player with no issue. I guess my Oppo 83 is too old. Time to replace? Recommendations.
How do you connect the player to the AVR?HDMI? Then a Sony 800M2 may work,but beware it has no display.:oops:
I would try to find an used Oppo 95 or 105.

How do you connect the player to the AVR?HDMI? Then a Sony 800M2 may work,but beware it has no display.:oops:
I would try to find an used Oppo 95 or 105.
HDMI. I think it may be that the 83 can't cope with seamless branching.

Seriously! Pretty expensive for 38 minutes of music!o_O

Yes. I already had second and third thoughts of pre-ordering the deluxe box set after listening to some of the first songs he released. And I noticed yesterday that the album is only 42 minutes long. Steven's shorter album to date (if you don't count EPs).

Last night I was listening to the album on Apple Music via headphones, and stopped at half (it was late and I was tired), and it sounds great and I kind of like what I heard so far. But man, it has been expensive. I missed some of his previous deluxe boxsets that might have been worth the price. So I hope the contents of this boxset are worth the total price. If not, it will be a lesson learned to not pre-order deluxe boxsets of new content until knowing the full details.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the
Limited Edition Deluxe Box Set
The website says the box is laminated, it doesn't look like it is to me, looks like it could get dirty very quickly, I don't know wether to complain or not. Or is it another part of 'The Joke'?

Last edited:
Back