HiRez Poll Hancock, Herbie - GERSHWIN'S WORLD [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Herbie Hancock - GERSHWIN'S WORLD

• Total voters
I'm guessing the copy you got isn't an SACD. The front and back both have SACD logos:

R-8581269-1464537291-2453.jpeg.jpg

R-8581269-1464537298-2551.jpeg.jpg

Everything that Beerking says above. Gorgeous is the right adjective for it.
Have not listened to this in a while and I rarely vote here so I'll listen more before I decide to not vote again.......:unsure:

Really want this disc badly - tried the link but came up empty. Anyone have a good option to acquire it? Would greatly appreciate it.

Really want this disc badly - tried the link but came up empty. Anyone have a good option to acquire it? Would greatly appreciate it.

Here's one on eBay for only $12.99 plus shipping from a seller in New Jersey.
{Edit: The above statement was fake news! LOL :eek::eek:}

And I agree 100% with the gentleman from the Shire, you need this. It's an exceptional disc.

Last edited:
Looks like that one isn't the SACD. The EU one is - but $50 U.S. I've been looking all over. Amazon is confusing because pic shows SACD symbol, but when you click on the link to buy doesn't appear to be. Also, did it originally come out on SACD in 1998 as well? Is that MC? 2004 is reissue I see.

Looks like that one isn't the SACD. The EU one is - but $50 U.S. I've been looking all over. Amazon is confusing because pic shows SACD symbol, but when you click on the link to buy doesn't appear to be. Also, did it originally come out on SACD in 1998 as well? Is that MC? 2004 is reissue I see.
Whoops! You're right, my bad. It came up when I input the UPC #. The seller must've used the wrong one.

There is another one on eBay that's a bit more expensive and from the UK.

Shoot. As recently as a year ago, it was still available new at Acoustic Sounds. They must have finally sold the last of their back-stock.

There's a copy of the European issue of the disc--but from a US-based seller--on Discogs for $20:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4948982?ev=rb
Pretty sure the album was only remixed in 5.1 in '04.

Last edited:
Shoot. As recently as a year ago, it was still available new at Acoustic Sounds. They must have finally sold the last of their back-stock.

There's a copy of the European issue of the disc--but from a US-based seller--on Discogs for $20:
https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/4948982?ev=rb
Pretty sure the album was only remixed in 5.1 in '04.

You are correct and it was remixed into 5.1 by Al Schmitt. For further info DISCOGS has it all:

https://www.discogs.com/Herbie-Hancock-Gershwins-World/release/8581269
I have been raving about this album for years. Did vote 10. Superbly recorded and when you read the discogs' list of personnel involved with this recording .... ALL HEAVY HITTERS!

Last edited:
This is another example of how valuable this forum is.
When I read posts extolling a particular MC release I look for it and buy it asap.
Before the price sky rockets and its out of print.

I read about this one here bought it for a normal price and am glad I did. You can always take a chance and then sell it off or gift it here when you're not paying $100 plus for a title.

This is another example of how valuable this forum is.
When I read posts extolling a particular MC release I look for it and buy it asap.
Before the price sky rockets and its out of print.

I read about this one here bought it for a normal price and am glad I did. You can always take a chance and then sell it off or gift it here when you're not paying $100 plus for a title.

ImportCD had this listed for years for under $16 and now this and all three Elton John SACDs which have been listed on their website for years, as well, are now on BACKORDER. Wonder if Universal [UMG] will repress all these titles or finally retire them .... indefinitely?

https://www.importcds.com/herbie-hancock-hancock-herbie-gershwins-world/602498610060

Last edited:
Here's one on eBay for only $12.99 plus shipping from a seller in New Jersey.
{Edit: The above statement was fake news! LOL :eek::eek:}

And I agree 100% with the gentleman from the Shire, you need this. It's an exceptional disc.
Baggy, a.k.a. the gentleman from the Shire, refers to it as “my precious.”

Well, I bit the bullet for $46 new. I like Herbie Hancock, and love Joni Mitchel. This combo in hirez 5.1 was too irresistible. Many thanks to those who tried to help - particularly Ted B.
BTW, I'm sure we've all missed a title or two you realize you needed late. My collection is deep with titles I bought long ago for retail that now go for big money - it's the way it goes! But, rather enjoy the music I love rather than wish away my desires over $25 extra!!!

Back