8-track player repair question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I just received the Sony TC-248D quad 8-track player that I won on eBay. As the seller indicated, the player needs a new belt. What I wasn't prepared for is the fact that the original belt had decomposed into a tar-like substance. I was able to pick most of the belt away from the flywheels with my fingers, but there is a gummy, sticky residue that was left behind. What is the best thing for cleaning this so I can get down to the bare metal again before I put on a new belt?

J. D.

Get the 80-90% alcohol. Standard rubbing alcohol is only about 70%. Also, be very aware that the stronger alcohol is also a pretty good paint solvent, so be very careful where you allow the alcohol to touch.

MTGC (Michael)

Get the 80-90% alcohol. Standard rubbing alcohol is only about 70%. Also, be very aware that the stronger alcohol is also a pretty good paint solvent, so be very careful where you allow the alcohol to touch.

MTGC (Michael)

Is the pure denatured alcohol from the paint department at the hardware store OK to use, or is it too strong? It's what I've been using to clean tape heads for years, so I already have that on my shelf.

J. D.

We use rubber cement thinner as a mild solvent for gummy rubbery gunk.
It won't harm most finishes.
Getting harder to find it, though.

When I was in radio, over 30 years ago now, we had a 1 gallon jug of 100% denatured alcohol that we used for head cleaning via long wooden q-tips and for other cleaning uses. It would be safe to use for your purposes, but remember, it is a pretty efficient paint remover, so be careful about where you drop it. As a further precaution, it is, of course, flammable and the fumes can be bad for your health if you inhale a lot of them.

MTGC (Michael)

Thank you all for your advice. I used alcohol and about 10 Q-Tips and the fly wheels are clean and unsticky. Now I just need to order a new belt and I'll be able to play my two Q8 tapes!.

Even money says this is methyl alcohol, probably 100%. I base this on the fact that the label says "flammable" and methyl alcohol, is in fact, flammable. This is a bit steep, in my opinion, for what you are getting.

MTGC (Michael)

I just received the Sony TC-248D quad 8-track player that I won on eBay. As the seller indicated, the player needs a new belt. What I wasn't prepared for is the fact that the original belt had decomposed into a tar-like substance. I was able to pick most of the belt away from the flywheels with my fingers, but there is a gummy, sticky residue that was left behind. What is the best thing for cleaning this so I can get down to the bare metal again before I put on a new belt?

J. D.

Hey J.D. - I am now where you were 12 years ago, scraping and cleaning the remnants of the old belt off a TC-248D. My question to you is, were you successful in getting a belt and getting the unit to run again? Where did you find the belt, if I may ask?

Here are some tips from years ago. Belts can still be found and I suggest measuring yourself instead of looking for the model # of your player

1612232009931.png

Some sites that might help but you might need to search and go down that rabbit hole

SMC ELECTRONICS - VCR Repair Parts - Belts

VCR Belts,Cassette Belts,8-Track Belts,Turntable Belts, Transfer Belts, Neoprene Belts, Bunan Belts

Good luck

Hey J.D. - I am now where you were 12 years ago, scraping and cleaning the remnants of the old belt off a TC-248D. My question to you is, were you successful in getting a belt and getting the unit to run again? Where did you find the belt, if I may ask?
I don't believe I ever got this unit to work. I know that I no longer have it.

I don't believe I ever got this unit to work. I know that I no longer have it.
I will carry on nonetheless. My biggest fear is that the motor wouldn't work, but I have successfully tested that. It also still recognizes the difference between quad and stereo tapes. Hopefully the belt will be the icing on the cake. Stay tuned!

Back