Comments Inspired by Yello - POINT [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip 🤑
Yes - I'm considering maybe purchasing another copy. When this limited edition disc goes out of print, it will probably command Kraftwerk SACD Maximum-Minimum prices. Mind you, you'll have to wait 15 years for that to happen!

Ordered on Grooves-inc. They list it for $39 with free shipping to the US.

Lord British! Now I want to play Ultima 3 again.... I have the deluxe Macintosh fan version (fully hires upgraded graphics) I have yet to get around to.... :D

Yes - rather puzzling this. Where is the individual who usually rates anything brilliant as warranting a 7?

Actually, someone was complaining at AVS that "everything" gets a '10' on these forums so they're worthless for finding out whether an album is any good or not. I pointed out it hit #1 for all surround albums, but they seemed adamant. AVS isn't very good for finding anything, IMO. They're more concerned about the equipment (hardware) than the music (software), so-to-speak. It reminds me of Stereophile magazine. Here, spend $100k on a system and your average reader there probably own 20 CDs, 5 of them test/setup discs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lord British! Now I want to play Ultima 3 again.... I have the deluxe Macintosh fan version (fully hires upgraded graphics) I have yet to get around to.... :D
17152-1.png

Best Role playing series EVER.

Actually, someone was complaining at AVS that "everything" gets a '10' on these forums so they're worthless for finding out whether an album is any good or not. I pointed out it hit #1 for all surround albums, but they seemed adamant. AVS isn't very good for finding anything, IMO. They're more concerned about the equipment (hardware) than the music (software), so-to-speak. It reminds me of Stereophile magazine. Here, spend $100k on a system and your average reader there probably own 20 CDs, 5 of them test/setup discs. :rolleyes:
In all fairness it is hard to gauge by the scores here. I’d prefer the scoring be based on the audio/mix only.

I'm still playing Yello catchup (ok that sounded odd with the alliteration of Catsup/Ketchup). I just bought The Eye and Toy after previewing all their albums I don't have. Somehow, they sounded more interesting to my tastes than previews of Flag (of which I have The Race on Essential already). I put them on my phone to listen while at work.

I'm still playing Yello catchup (ok that sounded odd with the alliteration of Catsup/Ketchup). I just bought The Eye and Toy after previewing all their albums I don't have. Somehow, they sounded more interesting to my tastes than previews of Flag (of which I have The Race on Essential already). I put them on my phone to listen while at work.

Has Yello-Live in Berlin been mentioned yet in this thread? Tipped off by @elmer originally this was my introduction to Yello (excepting for Ferris Beuller). It's a fantastic performance, great recording in glorious 4.1. Highly recommended on Blu-Ray video. Oh, and that sax player....

https://www.discogs.com/Yello-Live-In-Berlin/release/11211447
My order for Point should be here in another 5>6 days. I totally trust the ears & tastes of the members here & when I read nothing but raves I had to have it. Thanks, fellow enablers!

Last edited:
Has Yello-Live in Berlin been mentioned yet in this thread? Tipped off by @elmer originally this was my introduction to Yello (excepting for Ferris Beuller). It's a fantastic performance, great recording in glorious 4.1. Highly reccomended on Blu-Ray video. Oh, and that sax player....

My order order for Point shuld be here in another 5>6 days. I totally trust the ears & tastes of the members here & when I read nothing but raves I had to have it. Thanks, fellow enablers!

Live in Berlin is brilliant ... as is the DVD surround mix for ‘Touch Yello’ from 2009 ... I’ve been a huge fan for years - I buy anything they release!!

Has Yello-Live in Berlin been mentioned yet in this thread? Tipped off by @elmer originally this was my introduction to Yello (excepting for Ferris Beuller). It's a fantastic performance, great recording in glorious 4.1. Highly recommended on Blu-Ray video. Oh, and that sax player....

My order for Point should be here in another 5>6 days. I totally trust the ears & tastes of the members here & when I read nothing but raves I had to have it. Thanks, fellow enablers!
Link to my original post
MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?
if you’re all diggin on Point, then there is no reason not to get this. Great, fun performance and an excellent discrete live mix

I've been doing some more comparisons of Yello's Point between Dolby Atmos, 7.1/5.1 (or in my case 4.1 on my Carver ribbon system) and the original stereo tracks versus using "downmixed" stereo on the same system. It's rather night and day.

The downmixer for Atmos/7.1/5.1 does its best to recreate the same experience using stereo. Sounds that are in the back on that mix are massively out-of-phase and almost sound like they're coming from the back of the room (e.g. The voice "do wah wah da da ding" bits on Basic Avenue and the keyboard bit that echoes in the back really sound like they're coming from the back in stereo on the Carver ribbons. But on the original stereo mix, the same sounds either stay in the center or echo out to the sides (traditional "out of phase" outside the sides of the speakers, not in the back of the room) so I have to wonder if the Atmos mix actually has some kind HRTF or other phasey tricks encoded within it to sound like it's coming from where I'm sitting instead.

It doesn't seem possible the renderer itself does it because the Carver system is using an old outboard Technics 5.1 decoder with KODI for the downmix. It's not an Atmos chip rendering. From what I gather how Atmos works, the base track (in this case 7.1 TrueHD) has its own mix and when you use Atmos, the chip actually phase cancels out the TrueHD downmix for the instruments that go into other speakers and especially overhead speakers so that it's no longer present in the ear-level speakers at all. The extra meta data has those new sounds for overheads and uses them in the base layer to cancel out the original ear level version stored in the TrueHD signal. It is then free to use the positional meta data to place the sounds wherever it can use them with your particular layout and outputs the new mix, all in real time. At least that's a basic version of what it's doing if I understood the tech data I read on it.

Thus, the TrueHD 7.1 version could very well contain some extra processing designed to survive a fold down to 2.0 (stereo). All I know for certain is the stereo version of the 7.1 soundtrack sounds MUCH closer to the Atmos and 7.1/5.1 version than the original stereo mix from the CD that's also on the Blu-Ray in "HiRes" 24/96 form. I'm thinking maybe I could use Handbrake to create some "stereo" extracted tracks from the Atmos track and do an enhanced "CD" version to play in the car that would sound much more like the surround mix. I'll have to put it on my things to try and get around to doing at some point list. Sadly, if I had thought about it earlier today when I made a ALAC version of the 2.0 tracks (so cheap me didn't have to buy the CD also), I could have used the same break points in Audacity to quickly turn around a stereo "surround" mix as well and then throw it on my car's USB stick.

I’ll probably be crucified - but Yello is up there with Kraftwerk in my book!! The bass on this recording has forced me to secure a number of loose items in my listening environment ... 😬

Maybe they will release thir back catalog in surround? One can dream!!

Anyone else got the 5.1 surround DVDA of ‘Stella’? It’s actually REALLY good ... I’ve been looking for he retail copy for years - but I think it’s an upmix??

I’ll probably be crucified - but Yello is up there with Kraftwerk in my book!! The bass on this recording has forced me to secure a number of loose items in my listening environment ... 😬

Maybe they will release thir back catalog in surround? One can dream!!

Anyone else got the 5.1 surround DVDA of ‘Stella’? It’s actually REALLY good ... I’ve been looking for he retail copy for years - but I think it’s an upmix??
This is about the friendliest forum I've come across. You most certainly won't be crucified for saying that you rate Yello with Kraftwerk. Instead, you'll get bombarded with likes, smileys and hearts.

I've been doing some more comparisons of Yello's Point between Dolby Atmos, 7.1/5.1 (or in my case 4.1 on my Carver ribbon system) and the original stereo tracks versus using "downmixed" stereo on the same system. It's rather night and day.

The downmixer for Atmos/7.1/5.1 does its best to recreate the same experience using stereo. Sounds that are in the back on that mix are massively out-of-phase and almost sound like they're coming from the back of the room (e.g. The voice "do wah wah da da ding" bits on Basic Avenue and the keyboard bit that echoes in the back really sound like they're coming from the back in stereo on the Carver ribbons. But on the original stereo mix, the same sounds either stay in the center or echo out to the sides (traditional "out of phase" outside the sides of the speakers, not in the back of the room) so I have to wonder if the Atmos mix actually has some kind HRTF or other phasey tricks encoded within it to sound like it's coming from where I'm sitting instead.

It doesn't seem possible the renderer itself does it because the Carver system is using an old outboard Technics 5.1 decoder with KODI for the downmix. It's not an Atmos chip rendering. From what I gather how Atmos works, the base track (in this case 7.1 TrueHD) has its own mix and when you use Atmos, the chip actually phase cancels out the TrueHD downmix for the instruments that go into other speakers and especially overhead speakers so that it's no longer present in the ear-level speakers at all. The extra meta data has those new sounds for overheads and uses them in the base layer to cancel out the original ear level version stored in the TrueHD signal. It is then free to use the positional meta data to place the sounds wherever it can use them with your particular layout and outputs the new mix, all in real time. At least that's a basic version of what it's doing if I understood the tech data I read on it.

Thus, the TrueHD 7.1 version could very well contain some extra processing designed to survive a fold down to 2.0 (stereo). All I know for certain is the stereo version of the 7.1 soundtrack sounds MUCH closer to the Atmos and 7.1/5.1 version than the original stereo mix from the CD that's also on the Blu-Ray in "HiRes" 24/96 form. I'm thinking maybe I could use Handbrake to create some "stereo" extracted tracks from the Atmos track and do an enhanced "CD" version to play in the car that would sound much more like the surround mix. I'll have to put it on my things to try and get around to doing at some point list. Sadly, if I had thought about it earlier today when I made a ALAC version of the 2.0 tracks (so cheap me didn't have to buy the CD also), I could have used the same break points in Audacity to quickly turn around a stereo "surround" mix as well and then throw it on my car's USB stick.

What format is the Technics 5.1 decoder?

Back