Steven Wilson - The Future Bites - Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1965 - folk hero Bob Dylan picks up an electric guitar, and many of his most dedicated fans cry out in outrage.

2020 - Prog hero Steven Wilson puts down the electric guitar, and many of his most dedicated fans cry out in outrage.

I would argue that history proved Dylan made the right choice. His decision changed the course of his career, and to some extent, pop/rock music itself. Time will tell the effect SW's change will have on his career and music.

1965 - folk hero Bob Dylan picks up an electric guitar, and many of his most dedicated fans cry out in outrage.

2020 - Prog hero Steven Wilson puts down the electric guitar, and many of his most dedicated fans cry out in outrage.

I would argue that history proved Dylan made the right choice. His decision changed the course of his career, and to some extent, pop/rock music itself. Time will tell the effect SW's change will have on his career and music.

If Steven Wilson doesn't make music for HIMSELF, then there's no point, really. The better artists are versatile, not stuck in the same old, same old. "To The Bone" was the start of breaking out into what HE wanted, imo. It's a masterpiece, again imo. ( & i've NEVER been a fanboy. )

I wouldn't say I cry in outrage, nor am I in the least offended by the lack of electric guitar (although there is plenty of it going around on the album, buried in the mix). The album is just not touching me. I think it misses the soul, warmth and quite frankly the quality of song writing that attracted me to SW's solo material in the first place. I never rated SW high as a singer and on this album his voice is even more reserved and (dare I say) boring...
I'm afraid I just don't like this album, but you won't hear me crying in outrage.
It might make a nice showcase album for Atmos, but that doesn't make the album any better for me.

To anyone who likes this album, more power to you! There is a lot to like, if you like quality pop music, but I just don't get it.
I am not here to rip SW apart or to upset his fans, I am just voicing my opinion and declaring I am NOT outraged :)
Happy listening!

Looks like I've been living under a rock with an infant and forgot that this came out! Binged the stereo version a couple of times this morning and I think its just a wonderful album. I'll have to order the Blu-ray today because I can't wait to hear how it is in 5.1. Unself/Self is really phenomenal and its one of my favorite songs of him in quite some time. I also found the Deluxe edition songs on youtube and I have to say, i'm glad he did not shoehorn most of them into the actual album. There's a couple of good ones and It's awesome that there is a long version of Unself (I was left wanting more from the album version) but most are just b-side worthy.

I wouldn't say I cry in outrage, nor am I in the least offended by the lack of electric guitar (although there is plenty of it going around on the album, buried in the mix). The album is just not touching me. I think it misses the soul, warmth and quite frankly the quality of song writing that attracted me to SW's solo material in the first place. I never rated SW high as a singer and on this album his voice is even more reserved and (dare I say) boring...
I'm afraid I just don't like this album, but you won't hear me crying in outrage.
It might make a nice showcase album for Atmos, but that doesn't make the album any better for me.

To anyone who likes this album, more power to you! There is a lot to like, if you like quality pop music, but I just don't get it.
I am not here to rip SW apart or to upset his fans, I am just voicing my opinion and declaring I am NOT outraged :)
Happy listening!

This is pretty much me at this point. Happy to continue supporting SW and more surround by the purchase!

I'm checking out the 5.1 mix for the first time now and there's some really cool stuff happening--in "King Ghost", one of the synth parts keeps panning around the room for the entire song! In "Self", the vocals are neatly separated with the dry SW voice in the center speaker and low 'robot' voice that doubles it in the rears. I never realized how many harmony parts there actually are in the chorus of "12 Things I Forget". Out of all his solo albums, this might be the best surround mix.

steven_wilson_atmos_mixing__large_full.jpg
image002__large_full.jpg

https://www.stereo.net.au/reviews/steven-wilson-the-future-bites-in-atmos-review

I've only had the chance to listen to this a couple of times so far, but... I'm not sure. The mix is... SW. It is incredible to be in the middle of a room and enjoy almost anything that he creates. Most of his stuff has had to grow on me, although I fell for To The Bone almost immediately. The big question I suppose for me will be: Will this last long. I still pull out Deadwing on a regular basis. TTB gets played regularly. Whether TFB ends up getting "spins" a year from now is still up in the air. But, I'm happy for any SW release.

I feel this is more consistent than the previous record but that may be down to lack of highlights. But I'm not personally offended that I may not end up liking this as much as some of his previous work. This may be a step toward another interesting direction, who knows? Emphasis seems to be on the production side, the songs just don't seem very strong. It's an enjoyable listen - good but not great. Random hot take: Brad Paisley to cover "12 things I forgot".

Rather ironically, dragging the release date past the brexit deadline, for EU customers at least, makes this the luxury item the album appears to criticise. In the end the price is up there with the King Crimson boxsets. But then again, you can't get Crimso on a cassette, can you?

Just given it one spin so far and thought musically and sonically it's very nice and, of course, a great mix. I'm not sure I much liked all the falsetto style singing he does but will give it a chance.

But, did anyone else try ripping it and have problems? I normally never even play the disc and just rip the songs to flac and play that way, but DVDFab just spits it out. Some new format or copy protection? MakeMKV seemed okay with it but I'm going to have to figure out what how to use it and didn't want to spend the time yet.

K

Just given it one spin so far and thought musically and sonically it's very nice and, of course, a great mix. I'm not sure I much liked all the falsetto style singing he does but will give it a chance.

But, did anyone else try ripping it and have problems? I normally never even play the disc and just rip the songs to flac and play that way, but DVDFab just spits it out. Some new format or copy protection? MakeMKV seemed okay with it but I'm going to have to figure out what how to use it and didn't want to spend the time yet.

K
DVD-AE did convert it, but clipped 2 songs, so far that I am aware of. Self and Eminent Sleaze both have a hiccup during the transition to the next song.

DVD-AE did convert it, but clipped 2 songs, so far that I am aware of. Self and Eminent Sleaze both have a hiccup during the transition to the next song.

I noticed that too--the track breaks appear to be slightly off on a few of the songs. The last second of "Unself" is at the beginning of "Self", the last second of "Self" is at the beginning of "King Ghost", same thing with "Eminent Sleaze" into "Man Of The People", etc. I wound up going into Audacity and fixing the breaks manually.

I noticed that too--the track breaks appear to be slightly off on a few of the songs. The last second of "Unself" is at the beginning of "Self", the last second of "Self" is at the beginning of "King Ghost", same thing with "Eminent Sleaze" into "Man Of The People", etc. I wound up going into Audacity and fixing the breaks manually.
He's on to you rippers! just having a bit of fun with you he is- snickers, chortle, snort...

Back