OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the passenger seat area is a Nagra-Kudelski 1/4in reel to reel tape recorder
Donohue67TAMarlboro-vi.jpg

The Audi Bose system does so good chance in the Caddy.

Whack some MCH FLACs on a USB and go for a test drive.

Anyone knows about any plans for turning Dolby Atmos into multichannel flac? I wonder how Tidal are streaming D.A. As compressed ac3? Is this the only way?

You can't turn Atmos into FLAC (generally), since FLAC is limited to 8ch, and no official standard for dynamic panning.

TIDAL is streaming Atmos as lossy EC3.

Seriously though I guess this would be a purely data driven system without an optical drive but if that is the case then Atmos digital files will need to be available for download unless it is to be cloud based only? I don't know about cars outside of the UK but it is illegal to have video from a disc whilst the car is moving hence my cheeky comment above. This disables the disc menu so you have to get an album playing before moving. If the USB inputs are used, say with FLAC files, the usual menu works fine.

This was a long winded way of saying that Atmos in cars can probably only really work if digital Atmos files can be purchased. I

A minority of artist(s) are selling Atmos or 3D audio as DL files. There's TIDAL streaming as above.

Ford/Lincoln has DTS Neural & Porsche has Auro-3D upmixing apparently, but those may not support discrete surround (would be nice if they did).

Thought this was quite cool. So Dolby Atmos in cars is coming... :phones

Think the car in the video is a de-badged Volvo? I can see this as an upgrade option from a lot of manufacturers down the line. And I think object based audio will sound great in a car.

Thought this was quite cool. So Dolby Atmos in cars is coming... :phones

Think the car in the video is a de-badged Volvo? I can see this as an upgrade option from a lot of manufacturers down the line. And I think object based audio will sound great in a car.

The concern I have is that Atmos-enabled car audio systems may be streaming only (no native USB playback of other multichannel formats). Think of it as multichannel Sirius XM, complete with the same, lackluster sound quality.

The concern I have is that Atmos-enabled car audio systems may be streaming only (no native USB playback of other multichannel formats). Think of it as multichannel Sirius XM, complete with the same, lackluster sound quality.

A possibility They might have atmos aka DSU upscaling (only). suppose SXM is 64kps HEAAC. So NGA/current codecs should be 20-50% better for the same bitrate. Atmos on TIDAL is 768kps EC3 (transparent), and the minimum is 384kps.

A possibility They might have atmos aka DSU upscaling (only). suppose SXM is 64kps HEAAC. So NGA/current codecs should be 20-50% better for the same bitrate. Atmos on TIDAL is 768kps EC3 (transparent), and the minimum is 384kps.
E-AC-3 is not transparent (at least to me). However, I wonder if anyone aside from VLC will ever support THD files with Atmos in them because that's what I store my Atmos in.

Hi there, after a cursory search I cannot find a mention of the Skoda Scala. I've read a recent review of this model's 'LE' edition which mentioned that it had a premium sound system with up to 12(?) speakers. I wondered whether that might include surround and it seems it does. Here's a screen grab from the owners handbook:

1622947270037.png

Note that it claims flac support at 96kHz 5.1 or 7.1.

Has anyone had any experience with this car's audio? Is it the same basic setup as is found in the Skoda Superb? Is it any good?

The pricing is very good for what you get in the package, about AU$37k here in Oz.

I tested my new Ford Mach-E Mustang with the B&O system today with both 5.1 FLAC and WAV. No luck. I used a Chesky test file and only heard "This is the front left channel... this is the front right channel..." with the center, rear, and sub channel announcements not audible.

If anyone happens to figure out something that does work, please let me know.

I’m back looking for a new car again (with 5.1 minimum of course). I pulled out of a deal for an Audi Q3 Sportsback with a great sounding FLAC multichannel system this time last year.

My 2009 A5 has just had $2500 in repairs and has a list of other parts that need replacing. Time to let it go.

One of the issues with the Q3 was no drivers ‘memory’ seat. This will be a shared car with my wife. We have totally different seating positions and ‘memory’ is nearly as important as surround sound! (I hate these first world problems!) Anyway, the 2022 Q3 will have a memory seat option. So I may be back for a Q3 again.

I got so close to buying last year I even bought a 1TB SSD drive and loaded with my favourite quad and 5,1 FLACs. It’s still sitting there waiting to go on the road... It’s complete with Velcro sticky tape to hide it under the dash...

I've an Audi A5 S-Line Sportback on order with the B&O 3D Sound System

This looks like the same system I tested last year in the Q3. Multichannel FLAC is no problem and the user interface showed cover art etc. In the Q3 it sounded way better than the Jaguar surround system in a E Pace I tested.

Back