HiRez Poll Pineapple Thief, The - VERSIONS OF THE TRUTH [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Pineapple Thief - VERSIONS OF THE TRUTH

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters
It‘s difficult to pick a favorite track because they are all VG+ to excellent. I‘d probably vote offhand for one of the more “pop” sounding tracks like the title song and Demons; but that could change with more listens to the deeper cuts.

Just boggles my mind the difference between Bruce Soord's latest output and Steven Wilson's...

I compare the two because they're both (to some degree) proggers and are both excellent 5.1 mixing engineers who are delving in to Atmos...

For my tastes, Bruce is the MAN...

Hopefully Bruce makes the transition to ATMOS someday...

Just boggles my mind the difference between Bruce Soord's latest output and Steven Wilson's...

I compare the two because they're both (to some degree) proggers and are both excellent 5.1 mixing engineers who are delving in to Atmos...

Totally. I just put Future Bites in the player again and had to take it off...put in Versions of the Truth and enjoy it so much more. Solid album, great sound and mix and bonus stuff...easy 9, al most a full 10.

Why Bruce gets overlooked for 5.1 mixes over someone like Jakko eludes me...nothing against Jakko but he just seems to need complete handholding through the process to get it right where as Bruce to my senses has the better ear.

Totally. I just put Future Bites in the player again and had to take it off...put in Versions of the Truth and enjoy it so much more. Solid album, great sound and mix and bonus stuff...easy 9, al most a full 10.

Why Bruce gets overlooked for 5.1 mixes over someone like Jakko eludes me...nothing against Jakko but he just seems to need complete handholding through the process to get it right where as Bruce to my senses has the better ear.

Hoping and waiting for Bruce Atmos mixes...

Is the QQ honeymoon with Steven Wilson over? Say it isn’t so.

I didn't like TFB so much,but I like it well enough and the Atmos mix is good.
Because of the Atmos mix I will play TFB mor than VOTT,even if I gave both an 8 score.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges in this situation. The Pineapple Thief is a band while Wilson’s TFB is a solo entity. SW doesn't have to concede anything with any of his solo material, but I think Soord would have to with TPT. Gavin Harrison isn't going to be down with using electronic drums or anything close in a band he joined. And I’m fairly sure everyone else was involved in writing this record as well.

I do think this album is the best thing that TPT has put out and they are in their heyday right now. I’m looking forward to their next album because they just keep getting better with each release since I have been listening to them. If you wanted to compare this band with the late 90s or 2000s Porcupine Tree (Hey, same drummer in the latter!), I think that would be a fair debate.

Now, comparing Soord’s last solo album and TFB is a good discussion as well. I still think you will prefer Soord’s because it is more proggy and guitar based. But it is not this album at all. This one is way better and IMO, that is because there is a good mix of ideas between everyone in the band. If you listen to his 2015 self titled album, that is a hell of a lot more poppy than anything TPT has ever put out.

Most people end up eventually straying towards a pop based sound under their solo material. I can still remember when Grace Potter put out a solo album and it was a far cry from the great indie rock sound with her band, The Nocturnals. Or maybe TFB will be a blip in the radar like Coheed and Cambria’s Year of the Black Rainbow. There was major backlash to how that record sounded (electronic drums and just more of a mix of electronica in general and how they sounded before) and for the most part, they went back to what they were good at and put out possibly my favorite album of theirs, The Afterman. Time will only tell.

Now to get back on topic, I’ve finally ordered this and I await listening to a fantastic mix and album. It looks like there is a great alternate mix which I wish more bands did.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges in this situation.
True, but really beside my point. Soord (the main creative force of TPT, despite their being a band - think PT) put out one of my favorite recent surround albums, and SW has put out one of my least. It has next to nothing to do with one being proggy and the other poppy. It has mostly to do with whether the content resonates. I'll be listening to VoTT for years. Already done with TFB.

I really regret having waited so long to check this album out, given I've had it since (checks Amazon) October 2020. I'm familiar with most of the albums and caught them in Toronto in Nov 2019 on the strength of the Where We Stood Blu-ray - gotta say, damn! The songwriting on this album is really good, I kept waiting for a skipper and it didn't happen. Fantastic production, great songwriting, great mastering, excellent 5.1 mix - 10/10 from me.

......... It looks like there is a great alternate mix which I wish more bands did.

..... Fantastic production, great songwriting, great mastering, excellent 5.1 mix - 10/10 from me.

It's difficult to decide what versions (original or alternate) I like more. I think the alternate has a more discrete sensation with the acoustics/percusion at the side/rear. Much better the alternate to be in a calm down mood.

An easy 10 from me.

I was surprised to receive this in a giant Amazon box. It's almost LP size, has a little lyric book, etc. Nice presentation.

The surround mix is impeccable. Truly one of the best in my collection. The alternate takes are basically, "Let's pretend I'm Peter Gabriel in 1982," and they sound fantastic, but they're all kind of that way. Honestly, I would've preferred that one of those alternate takes show up as the album version to give a little diversity to the album itself. I also think the alternate takes are a bit more sub-friendly. He definitely seems to have more going to the LFE in them. The interesting thing to me is the marimba percussion was all over the surround field in those mixes, so I'm guessing he got individual tracks from GH rather than just a stereo stem like he does with the regular drum kit.

The Swell should've been on the album. It is, in my opinion, the best song in the whole package, not to mention one of the few that can truly classify itself as "prog." I can only guess that the similarity to Our Mire in terms of the ocean theme and general depressing-as-hell-ishness (Bruce really could use a happy pill or two) meant that one of them had to go for the main album. Swell and the title track are the two standouts for me. The rest of the music is very good too, but again mostly straightforward rock n roll like it was on Dissolution. I'm not sure they're really a prog rock band anymore-- maybe more like yacht prog!

At any rate, I'm nitpicking a bit (except about The Swell-- that's a great, great song). This is a Steven Wilson-caliber mix. Really fantastic and worth every penny.

Back