Sept 4, 2020 - Official release date for Doobie Brothers Quadio at $59.98 List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the same person mixed both the stereo and the quad, maybe the label thought separate credits were redundant?
I think you're right about that. I was looking on discogs at the Van Morrison titles, Tupelo Honey specifically, and the back of the box for the reel edition said 'remix by Don Landee and Lee Herschberg' for what I think might be a quad reel of that album. I don't know much for details on any of the old quads, but when they are listed as 4-track stereo, are they meaning to say 4-channel?

No, 4-track tape doesn't signify Quad. A 4-track open reel tape signifies that there's 2 channels x 2 programs. In this case, it means a 2ch tape that has a forward and a reverse direction.

A Quad reel is still 4 tracks, all running in the same direction. It will be called Quad, or 4-channel.

There were also 4-track cartridges, the predecessor to 8-track cartridges. These had 2 programs, each with a stereo pair. In this case, both programs read in the same direction.

An 8-track cartridge is not 8 channels. It is either 2ch x 4 programs or 4ch x 2 programs.

I asked earlier in this thread, and the response from our man at Rhino is there were no names on the tape boxes.

Ted Templeman definitely oversaw these remixes as it's mentioned a couple of times in old issues of Billboard - I think it's almost certain (but apparently unprovable if the tape boxes are blank) that the guys that did the stereo mixes, either Lee Herschberg (who was the head of WB's quad program) or Donn Landee, or both of them together, did the quad mixes.

View attachment 63184
Did I miss something, there was a Van Morrison Album done in Quad! I think that it's obvious from that article that the quad mixes were done by the same people as the stereo version and at the same time!

No, 4-track tape doesn't signify Quad. A 4-track open reel tape signifies that there's 2 channels x 2 programs. In this case, it means a 2ch tape that has a forward and a reverse direction.

A Quad reel is still 4 tracks, all running in the same direction. It will be called Quad, or 4-channel.

There were also 4-track cartridges, the predecessor to 8-track cartridges. These had 2 programs, each with a stereo pair. In this case, both programs read in the same direction.

An 8-track cartridge is not 8 channels. It is either 2ch x 4 programs or 4ch x 2 programs.
Thanks Linda - I understand all that, I just thought there might be a mistake in the listing, that's all.

Did I miss something, there was a Van Morrison Album done in Quad! I think that it's obvious from that article that the quad mixes were done by the same people as the stereo version and at the same time!

I mentioned this sometime back in this thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/van-morrison-and-ry-cooder-mixed-for-quad.23220/
It's most likely Hard Nose the Highway given the 1973 date of that Billboard snippet, but it could also be St. Dominic's Preview or Tupelo Honey as well. Van owns the rights to all this stuff now and I think is distributing it through Sony - who knows if the quad mix(es) still exists or if they're aware of them, or at all inclined to release them. I wouldn't count on it with Van though, he reportedly cancelled his 2008 CD reissue campaign becasue the discs weren't selling enough, and has held back Tupelo Honey from digital release since then too, possibly because his ex-wife is on the cover of the album.

That’s the truth. I thought I’d be smart and wait for the inevitable price drop on Pink Floyd Later Years. Took off like a rocket. I feel very very fortunate I found on Amazon Germany 259 euros shipped to USA. That box set is absolutely ridiculous now.

That’s the truth. I thought I’d be smart and wait for the inevitable price drop on Pink Floyd Later Years. Took off like a rocket. I feel very very fortunate I found on Amazon Germany 259 euros shipped to USA. That box set is absolutely ridiculous now.

Early Years too, or just the Later Years?

Early Years too, or just the Later Years?
The Early Years actually came down. But I ordered day one snd got it for $313. I really thought the other would drop. Now the prices are crazy. You can’t find the Chicago Quadio for what you originally paid either )). Really surprised about the Doobie set. It’s a great deal for anybody who sat on the fence.

I finally ordered and received this Quadio set, now listening to The Captain and Me (I also have the CD and the DVD-A [never had a DVD-A player though]).

Back in 1973/4, my friend bought this Quadradisc (I intended to but I never did), but neither of us had quad playback hardware, so stereo it was.

(probably edit this after I listen to all 4 albums)

Edit: Just finished all 4 albums, I'm no music critic, so I'll just say "I like what I like", since I like gimmicks in music, Black Water, Sweet Maxine and Take Me in Your Arms are the most entertaining for me.

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Distortion - Harshness

The Quadio Blu-ray Captain and Me sounded distorted (harsh) to me, I got out my (remixed) DVD-A (DTS soundtrack) Captain and Me and it didn't sound harsh at all.

My systems:
Basement:
Magnavox Blu-ray player-> Pioneer VSX-D514 receiver (DTS core decoding) -> Polk T15s (& Polk PSW108) speakers
Bedroom:
Sony Blu-ray (DTS core downmixed to DS) -> RCA HDMI/Iine out converter-> Pioneer SX-2300 receiver -> Polk Monitor 4s (& Polk computer) speakers

On both my systems, the Blu-ray harshness isn't subtle and is audible thru the whole album.

I read thru the Poll of the Quadio, I didn't see any mention of distortion on the Captain and Me album, anyone else have both the Quadio Blu-ray and the DVD-A and can compare the sound quality?

Kirk Bayne

Back