SPOTLIGHT RARE QUAD LP'S, TAPES or CD'S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• 1613698922613819527357.jpg
    1613698922613819527357.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 181
  • 1613698947823-1866381804.jpg
    1613698947823-1866381804.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 181
Dynaquad or recommendation from Dynaquad

JBL Superrecord Contemporary. WB PRO 496

I can speak to Pentangle -Pentangling as it's very good with rear ch information via QS or Involve.

Attachments

• 1613699291526257578551.jpg
    1613699291526257578551.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 16136993131421893768587.jpg
    16136993131421893768587.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 188
Audio Ideas Guide Surround Test and Reference CD

Recorded in NaturalMatrix . The engineer recommends you play this CD through SQ Decoders , and guess what ...SQ works just great !!

Attachments

• 20210218_200039.jpg
    20210218_200039.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 20210218_200049.jpg
    20210218_200049.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 187
Dynaquad or recommendation from Dynaquad

JBL Superrecord Contemporary. WB PRO 496

I can speak to Pentangle -Pentangling as it's very good with rear ch information via QS or Involve.

Is the Pentangle album, or the sampler, known to be a quad mix? Stealth quad? Or stereo sounding good through a decoder? I think I have that sampler if I could find it.

Is the Pentangle album, or the sampler, known to be a quad mix? Stealth quad? Or stereo sounding good through a decoder? I think I have that sampler if I could find it.

Most of those tracks are recommended for Dynaquad 4D and provide superb surround via QS or RM.
If you have it you've struck GOLD .
It's an unusual stereo recording ....early PROMOTIONAL stereo mix of Warner Bros. Artists.
Promoting both JBL speakers and WB/Reprise recordings in a new studio.
One of the best DYNAQUAD (and QS/RM) albums via Dynaco's recommendation.

So not DY-4D encoded but highly touted.

Last edited:
A Quad cassette , from Radio Shack

Very early w/old black plastic case that has the artists info/label glued on.

London Pops Festival Orchestra-10 Of Tom Jones Greatest Hits.
Realistic 51-3113

originally a Q8 title only, but.........EV-4 encoded tape. Perhaps it was also issued on lp ??

View attachment 29847View attachment 29848

not listed on the Quad Discography , but s/b
Here's one of the lesser known Realistic Radio Shack Q8's that I think is a little on the rare side. It is also a London Pops Festival production of Bridge Over Troubled Water. I don't think I've ever seen this one in Mark Anderson's lists either?

Attachments

• Realistic 30 Min. Simon Garfunkel.jpg
    Realistic 30 Min. Simon Garfunkel.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 75
  • Realistic 51-3203.jpg
    Realistic 51-3203.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 72
  • Realistic Cover Front.jpg
    Realistic Cover Front.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 65
Here's one of the lesser known Realistic Radio Shack Q8's that I think is a little on the rare side. It is also a London Pops Festival production of Bridge Over Troubled Water. I don't think I've ever seen this one in Mark Anderson's lists either?

Well if it is not in the Quad Discography it should be , as it surely is listed in Larry Clifton's Quad Discography .
And all of Larry's quad listings are supposed to be assimilated in The Quadraphonic Discography .
FWIW there s/b 3 Q8'S of the London Pops Orchestra.

I'm not sure where you looked , but all 3 London Pops Festival Orchestra titles are definitely listed in the QUAD DISCOGRAPHY .

URC Matrix Evaluation Test Record

I've never really known what to make of this...if anyone has any info about it would be interesting to hear. It's sort of similar to the UK "quadraphile" LP. One side is encoded in the Cooper UMX format (which I believe is the matrix component of the UD-4 system), so it's probably pretty rare for that reason alone.

View attachment 29947View attachment 29948View attachment 29949
It is the matrix component of UD4.

I wonder if you have seen QMX
I don,t think that there were any UMX released for sale
only demo,s
Ron
Does this mean that my QX discs are not RM/QS encoded, but rather UMX?

I have done research on this:

UMX is the entire system of Denon matrix systems.

UMX - used for the early 2-channel matrixed records.
BMX - used for the later 2-channel matrixed records and broadcasts.
TMX - used for a three-channel matrixed proposal for flat surround
QMX - a 4-channel matrixed (reversible to discrete) system with height.
UD4 - a 4-channel matrixed (reverse to discrete to 3KHz) system (baseband BMX).

Before Denon devised UMX, it was selling a matrix system similar to EV which it called QX and a system similar to Dynaco Diamond called XM..

Japan Phonograph Record Association (JPRA) and Electronic Industry Association of Japan (EIAJ) used the following codes for various types of quadraphonic systems:

RM - Regular Matrix - Equal-separation basic matrix
QM - Quadraphonic Matrix - Forward-oriented basic matrix
PM - Phase Matrix - All SQ-related matrix systems
CD-4 - Compatible Discrete - CD-4
UX - Uniform Matrix - All UMX-related matrix systems

Last edited:
I have the Ovation EV4 sampler (first quad record I bought).

I have the Dynaco sampler (sent by Dave Hafler).

I also have the white-label white-jacket version of the original SQ sampler on CBS Records (sent by Ben Bauer). I wrote the tracks and times on the jacket.

I also have several 7-inch 33 (semi album) records from jukeboxes (I used to repair them) that are marked "quadraphonic" or as the EV or QS matrix. Seeburg had a Dynaquad-type decoder in their quadraphonic jukeboxes.

Unfortunately, they are mixed in with all of my other 7-inch 33s (sorted alphabetic by artist). With one exception, I do not remember which ones they were.

The exception is Deep Purple's Smoke On the Water. Since I have no image capture device right now and no immediate access to the record, I found an image of the 45.

sotw-45.jpg

It looks like this, except:

- It has a 5/16-inch center hole
- It says "extended version"
- The playing time is 10:10
- The disc number is different
- Because the hole is smaller, the printing is closer to the center
- It says quadraphonic under the playing time
- There were two songs on the other side

A WEA record in DQ, QS, or EV???

Last edited:
Back