Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'd be like you're IN the bar!!!

I can ALMOST feel the sawdust .... under my cowboy Boots!

See the source image

Talking about 90s music, 5.1 remixes of Mr. Bungle's records would be life changing, especially Disco Volante and California. Can. You. Even. Imagine!?!?

Talking about 90s music, 5.1 remixes of Mr. Bungle's records would be life changing, especially Disco Volante and California. Can. You. Even. Imagine!?!?
Wow, I had to look that band up. Mike Patton huh? Guess I only knew him through Faith No More. Which, is/was a great band.

Oh and FYI in case anyone cares, the newest Mr. Bungle release from 2020 (most of what comes up first if you google search) is NOT to be considered their reference material. Check out 'California' which incorporates bits of Frank Zappa, the Beach Boys, psychedelic rock, lounge jazz, cartoon music.... It's a brilliant record, and screaming for a surround mix. Ok soapbox done, I'll stop gushing about Bungle. :)

I would consider buying a Garth Brooks release, but in what world is GB American rock? Radiohead is an English band, I believe. Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement attributed to Wilson..

edit:
I guess he doesn't actually say "rock" per the first couple posts here. Tried listening to podcast but not working for me.

All this 'Cloak and Dagger' nonsense regarding the SW release of a 'famous American Album from the 90's" is utter nonsense. We're not talking Pentagon nor Interpol "CLASSIFIED INFO" Here.

Why can't he JUST mention the name of the album and leave it at THAT!

It's considered very bad form to spill the beans before the label's publicity team gives the official announcement. And Steven isn't one to alienate his clients.

Hope it's OK Computer - Radiohead
That would truly kickass!

I'd love it too, but the unusual way it was recorded may cause difficulties for a future surround remix. From Wikipedia:
Yorke...enjoyed working without audio separation, meaning that instruments were not overdubbed separately. O'Brien estimated that 80 per cent of the album was recorded live, and said: "I hate doing overdubs, because it just doesn't feel natural. ... Something special happens when you're playing live; a lot of it is just looking at one another and knowing there are four other people making it happen."

I'd love it too, but the unusual way it was recorded may cause difficulties for a future surround remix. From Wikipedia:

Guys, we gotta keep in mind that SW would only mix bands/artists that he's into, so as much as I hate to say it, Nirvana - Nevermind, Pearl Jam - Ten, RHCP are discarded.
Radiohead on the other hand is a band that he's into, though from that text it sounds like a tough job mixing it, though people change their minds, so hopefully Thom has changed his.

Radiohead isn't American, as others have stated, so I doubt it would be that. And even if it were, if it was recorded 'live' as the quote says, it will mean there is bleed-over in the original recording between channels (i.e you might hear faint drums in the guitar track, or bass in the vocal track, etc), which will make separating individual voices and instruments nearly impossible the way it is needed for 5.1. Agree it would be kickass though, if possible.

IMO, surround NIN would be cool. Tool would be incredible....but Tool hasn't even finished the vinyl remasters they started like 3 years ago, so who knows how long surround mixes could take.

Radiohead isn't American, as others have stated, so I doubt it would be that. And even if it were, if it was recorded 'live' as the quote says, it will mean there is bleed-over in the original recording between channels (i.e you might hear faint drums in the guitar track, or bass in the vocal track, etc), which will make separating individual voices and instruments nearly impossible the way it is needed for 5.1. Agree it would be kickass though, if possible.

IMO, surround NIN would be cool. Tool would be incredible....but Tool hasn't even finished the vinyl remasters they started like 3 years ago, so who knows how long surround mixes could take.

Missed the part where he said American band. Yes, I agree that NIN would be awesome!
Trent Reznor hinted in the past, when they released social network on dolby atmos (amazon music), that The Fragile would go next.

Now that's I've actually listened to the podcast, I'm not sure so sure anymore about it being NIN. Steven talks about some tracks being based on 4 24-track machines running in sync, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think Trent Reznor recorded The Fragile on ProTools. Still, you don't often find such densely layered production--almost 100 channels--which does narrow things down.

Definitely not Garth Brooks. :LOL:

Anyway, very good interview! Steven can be very chatty and informative.

Last edited:
Back