Comments Inspired by POLL - Talking Heads - REMAIN IN LIGHT [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1797689E-77F9-4899-B272-7853939B12FC.jpeg
061F704B-8145-49A0-8FDC-FA3AE74B9684.jpeg
EF69B3B9-43AE-4CE3-96D1-99235CC5D8B5.jpeg

I got my copy of 77 today and it’s a new pressing as well. Hope this bodes well for the rest of the albums.

I just bought the last copy of 77 currently available at Amazon. $12 after redeeming a $10 gift card I had !

The only one I'm missing is Fear of Music. As others have said, I hope these sell well and the rest are repressed.

I got my '77 and Remain In Light .. keep up the good working finding these and before you know it I will have an à la carte Brick.
That's how i built my Talking Heads Wall--one brick at a time! With equal doses of patience and luck, the whole package came in at under $120; the first four are CD + DVD, and the last four are DualDiscs. What an AMAZING set! Stay Surrounded, Comrades!

I certainly could be wrong but I understood it as that he separated a digital copy from the DualDisc. Anyway, DualDiscs are exactly what it states. Two discs glued together.
You're correct (sorry if I confused anyone with the play on words). The discs were really slow to come out of my Pioneer slot loader...one of them nearly got stuck. They are definitely thicker.

Dualdiscs supposedly play better in top loaders than in front loaders, presumably because of thickness.
An old wives' tail, maybe???
What I remember hearing about that, is that because the discs are a smidge bit thicker than a standard disc to accommodate the double-sided nature, they may jam on loading or ejection from a slot loading player. I wanted to say it was perpetuated by orange/red DualDisc information inserts that came with the discs, but it seems I'm mistaken there. But I do think I own at least one disc that has wording somewhere in the packaging advising against using in slot loading players - that doesn't mean it's not still just a wives' tail though!

How come many DVDs are flippers and have no thickness issues, but DDs do sometimes?

How come many DVDs are flippers and have no thickness issues, but DDs do sometimes?
Do you mean double sided DVD's? You know, good question.

Jonatha Brooke: Steady Pull and Blue Man Group: Audio are I think both double sided DVD's, and I think I have a few films that are that way too.
Perhaps to get around use without license requirements for DualDisc (assuming licensing was required) they did a similar but different approach
which retained the "normal" disc thickness, and avoided this real or perceived issue of DualDiscs and slot loading players? Just guessing at this.

Last edited:
CD is 1.2mm thick.
DVD is 2x .6mm and uses a different wavelength laser to read allowing both sides to be useable at dual layer.
DD is 1.5mm being a 6mm DVD layer and a 9mm CD layer. It appears that that thickness was selected to prevent CD tracking issues.
Bottom line, DD is thicker.

Back