Steven Wilson Steven Wilson on Bob Lefsetz Podcast

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use Your Illusion is a likely candidate. Not sure if anyone had already posted this 2000 interview with Bill Price.
https://www.mixonline.com/recording/bill-price-interview-375769
"What happened was, having got my way through about 20 songs, I was then in the position of waiting for the next song to be finished. For example, on ā€œNovember Rain,ā€ which was a bit of a baby of Axlā€™s, I had Mike Clinkā€™s original 24-track master, which had just drums and maybe a bit of bass on it. I had a 24-track slave that had a load of vocal ideas on it and a 24-track slave that had a lot of guitar ideas on it and a Sony 48-track slave that had a hell of a lot of vocal and keyboard work that Axl had been doing in his studio. I had another 48-track slave that Slash had been recording on in his studio. I tried a telephonic method of working out which tracks should be used and couldnā€™t get anybody to agree on what of this huge amount was going to be used. I decided that the only way would be to run them all together. We were in Skip Saylorā€™s studio in Los Angeles, which had, if I remember rightly, an 82- or 84-channel SSL. It was a pretty big desk. So we hired a bunch of tape machines in, and, of course, they didnā€™t run in sync, but the Los Angeles hire companies have got some very good technical engineers, and some hairy bloke in shorts arrived with a homemade interface and managed to plug all the machines together and get them to run in sync. Then I could play every track that everybody had recorded on. "

In Slash's autobiography, he mentions that Bob Clearmountain wanted to mix the UYI albums in either QSound or 5.1, which was probably a bit early for that given that 5.1 home theater was still 5 years away from widespread acceptance at that point. I think Clearmountain mixed nearly two-dozen tracks (in stereo at least) but he had some kind of falling out with the band and they fired him and replaced him with Bill Price.

If it does turn out to be these albums, it'll be kind of interesting that they finally get their surround due some 30 years after Clearmountain's initial idea...

Did the sales of the Appetite For Destruction SDE warrant a similar package for UYI? I remember there being a pretty significant price drop on the AFD set (from like $120 to $50) not long after the initial release, so maybe they had trouble unloading them?

Did the sales of the Appetite For Destruction SDE warrant a similar package for UYI? I remember there being a pretty significant price drop on the AFD set (from like $120 to $50) not long after the initial release, so maybe they had trouble unloading them?
It was because of the LiS video detailing the missing kick drum on Think About You and Michelle.

Sorry 'about that!

BAN SNOOD.

That was my worry when the price drop happened. Iā€™m hoping that is part of the reason behind hiring Steven Wilson to do the mix (if it is in fact UYI) because they know he also has a following that will help sell through all they produce......I may just have an overactive imagination also though ha

I gotta concede--reluctantly, 'cause I'm not a GnR fan--that all the clues point to UYI. Still: even though it doesn't fit many of the requisite criteria (apart from the fact that the band is American, and the album moved a lot of units, not to mention butts), I want to show some love on this thread for ATCQ. Low End Theory could sound great in surround.

As I'm mainly into Metal and Hard Rock, most of the albums I would chose are from those stiles. Here's my list:

Nirvana: Nevermind . A pity that the bluray edition only were mixed in stereo.
Pearl Jam: Ten. I bought the Deluxe Edition only for the DVD in 5.1.
Metallica: Metallica (a.k.a. The Black Album). I like the DVD-Audio but a new BD would be amazing.
Red Hot Chili Peppers : Blood Sugar Sex Magik.
Ozzy Osbourne: No More Tears.
Van Halen: For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge. After a lot of vinyls and tapes, my first album in CD format!!! A lot of songs would sound great in surround.
Skid Row: Slave to the Grind. I love this CD.
Death: Human. I would prefer The Sound Of Perseverance, anyway, if I had to bet my money for an album remixed in surround by Mr. Wilson, Human would be one of the last ones of that year.

It seems these two are out as they are European:
U2: Achtung Baby. I don't like too much U2, however this album has my favourite song from them, Until The End Of The World
Queen: Innuendo. So many amazing songs for surrounding this album!!! And none of them included in any of DVD Video Hits compilations.

So it seems the winner for the moment is UYI I&II by G'N'R but if I could chose one album of that year, I have no doubt it would be Fates Warnig Parallels.

Hmm. Could it be R.E.M.'s Out of Time? They revisited Automatic For The People for atmos despite having already being done in 5.1 for the dvda format...

Hmm. Could it be R.E.M.'s Out of Time? They revisited Automatic For The People for atmos despite having already being done in 5.1 for the dvda format...

I doubt it, just because I think the only reissue that REM are looking at for this year is a 25th anniversary edition of "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" later this year.

The only reason they remixed "Automatic for the People" again is because they went from 5.1 to Dolby Atmos.
Otherwise there was no reason to remix that album or any other REM album again.

Except for multichannel mixes of Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Accelerate and Collapse Into Now, of course... =) If they could severely tune down the loudness in the last two albums in the process, that would be much appreciated.

Anyway, enjoying the speculation in this thread. The big mystery for me here is "what does Steven Wilson like?" which you all seem to be far better across.

I'm with the people hoping for a cracking mix of Pearl Jam's Ten - but can't convince myself they would have used all those tracks; but what would I know! I love R.E.M. but can settle 'merely' for 5.1 for Out of Time.

Last edited:
Except for multichannel mixes of Chronic Town, Murmur, Reckoning, Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Accelerate and Collapse Into Now, of course... =) If they could severely tune down the loudness in the last two albums in the process, that would be much appreciated.

Anyway, enjoying the speculation in this threat. The big mystery for me here is "what does Steven Wilson like?" which you all seem to be far better across.

I'm with the people hoping for a cracking mix of Pearl Jam's Ten - but can't convince myself they would have used all those tracks; but what would I know! I love R.E.M. but can settle 'merely' for 5.1 for Out of Time.

He only mixes the stuff he likes as you probably know, so for an idea of his tastes, check out this thread here for a list of his mixes...

"The Album Years" podcast is also a great indicator for what kind of projects he might take. Early in the 1992 episode, he made a comment that he wasn't interested in American grunge music--so Nirvana, Pearl Jam, STP, etc can all be ruled out.

GnR's Use Your Illusion albums seem to be the only title(s) that fit all the hints/prerequisites we've gotten so far:
  • 30th Anniversary reissue
  • American band
  • Best-selling album
  • Densely-layered production with nearly 100 tracks of discrete information (basically confirmed in that Bill Price interview)
Some other points to consider:
  • It's a UMe-controlled title and they are heavily promoting Dolby Atmos
  • The band's last box set reissue (Appetite For Destruction) included a surround mix
  • Steven Wilson's recent comments that his latest remix projects are unlike anything he's done previously and "far from the world of progressive rock"
I'd guess they're aiming for September release to coincide directly with the album's original release date in '91, so we probably won't see an announcement for another few months.

Back