Comments Inspired by Yello - POINT [Blu-ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friendly reminder: This is a POLL thread so I will need to split off all these off topic posts.

Exactly what is off topic above? The "POLL" is up at the top for anyone to vote and see. The discussion space is not the poll itself. The first post says,

Please post your thought and comments on this 2020 release from the group Yello of their album "Point"

"Thoughts and Comments" seems pretty straight forward to me and IMO covers almost everything imaginable from value to quality to where you can get it to comparing to other surround albums. So what's the discussion space for? Did I miss a blizzard of off topic posts? Where did they go (or are going to?) I don't want to search for them.

Exactly what is off topic above? The "POLL" is up at the top for anyone to vote and see. The discussion space is not the poll itself. The first post says,

"Thoughts and Comments" seems pretty straight forward to me and IMO covers almost everything imaginable from value to quality to where you can get it to comparing to other surround albums. So what's the discussion space for? Did I miss a blizzard of off topic posts? Where did they go (or are going to?) I don't want to search for them.

At the risk of cluttering up this poll thread even further (I'm trusting Tim to disappear this post, too): the mods issued a general reminder about this a few weeks back, after complaints like the one inaugurating the thread below--which in Post #5 specifically references this very poll, which has already been de-cluttered once...:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ry-posts-in-the-high-res-polls-threads.29793/
There's a non-poll thread about Point here:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/yello-in-atmos.29572/

Last edited:
"Thoughts and Comments" seems pretty straight forward to me and IMO covers almost everything imaginable from value to quality to where you can get it to comparing to other surround albums. So what's the discussion space for? Did I miss a blizzard of off topic posts?

The Thoughts and Comments are about the qualities of THIS album; not who's still waiting for theirs, when they ordered, what they paid, other artists albums, equipment and so forth. It's not POLL content. About 72 such posts so far. I move these to a separate thread with a link in the first post to toggle back and forth. Apologies if you missed the previous discussions and clarifications >

The Thoughts and Comments are about the qualities of THIS album; not who's still waiting for theirs, when they ordered, what they paid, other artists albums, equipment and so forth. It's not POLL content. About 72 such posts so far. I move these to a separate thread with a link in the first post to toggle back and forth. Apologies if you missed the previous discussions and clarifications >
Wow, this forum is lame. Too bad, really.

y
The work being done is by request after numerous discussions with members to bring order to the POLLs chaos. Nothing is lost, it is simply moved to the other thread so that readers who want to read actual comments about the POLL title in question can do so without swimming through all of the obsolete acquisition messages that say nothing about the POLL title itself.

The work takes significant time and I like to think the commitment to do it is appreciated and the value of the final product was obvious to all. Apparently not. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Last edited:
In fact I ordered both of those titles a few days ago. I've always had good experience with jpc in the past.

I'm stuck in an endless loop where the item is in my cart, I enter the payment details, then I'm back at the cart where I enter my payment details, them I'm back at the cart where I enter my payment details...

I've been playing with my "Scatmos" Top Middle processor and how it sounds as fully discrete, partially discrete or used as an arrayed phantom image to move the rear height speaker closer to the MLP and the effects it has on the imaging overhead, etc. But it would help if I had a bit of reference as to where other people hear some sounds.

One of the differences I noticed is that in the first track "Waba Duba" the "waba waba" voice sounds right at the beginning (that appear a few times during the song) image at different locations on the ceiling depending on how discrete the top middle speaker is (might actually be a precedence effect since I can't set a separate delay for top middle and rear height and even front height the way the pro logic processor works without it "leaking" into the front/rear heights and being closer to a mixed array.

Namely, the sound appears "near" the front of the room's ceiling with a mixed array (maybe 15-20% out into the room) whereas with the top middle being close to fully discrete, it images just in front of me overhead (maybe 40% into the room). Other sounds like the one overhead at the beginning of "Out of Sight" image in the same place (near front top ceiling and near rear wall at ceiling) regardless.

So where does that "waba waba" sound appear for you on the ceiling and with what type of speaker setup (i.e Heights at 30 degrees or 45 degrees or Tops at 45 or even higher) ???

Thanks.

I've been playing with my "Scatmos" Top Middle processor and how it sounds as fully discrete, partially discrete or used as an arrayed phantom image to move the rear height speaker closer to the MLP and the effects it has on the imaging overhead, etc. But it would help if I had a bit of reference as to where other people hear some sounds.

One of the differences I noticed is that in the first track "Waba Duba" the "waba waba" voice sounds right at the beginning (that appear a few times during the song) image at different locations on the ceiling depending on how discrete the top middle speaker is (might actually be a precedence effect since I can't set a separate delay for top middle and rear height and even front height the way the pro logic processor works without it "leaking" into the front/rear heights and being closer to a mixed array.

Namely, the sound appears "near" the front of the room's ceiling with a mixed array (maybe 15-20% out into the room) whereas with the top middle being close to fully discrete, it images just in front of me overhead (maybe 40% into the room). Other sounds like the one overhead at the beginning of "Out of Sight" image in the same place (near front top ceiling and near rear wall at ceiling) regardless.

So where does that "waba waba" sound appear for you on the ceiling and with what type of speaker setup (i.e Heights at 30 degrees or 45 degrees or Tops at 45 or even higher) ???

Thanks.
I have my 4 heights in a square above me, with the fronts about 4 feet in front of my listening position and the rears about 4 feet behind my listening position (picture an 8-foot square with me at the center). I would say the "waba waba" voices appear to be coming from directly above me, with maybe a little left/right or front/back movement as they play (but just a little - it could be an just an effect or illusion).

Screenshot_20210918-141545.jpg

say that again i dare you

View attachment 71636
say that again i dare you
@birrrdy! has been a member for 7 years & has 39 posts. That's an avg of only 5.571428571428571 posts per year. To complain about the forum being lame & contributing so little is a shame. And yes the mods do a lot of work here we don't see when they could be, you know, enjoying music. So thanks to the members & mods that make this a great place to be!

I have my 4 heights in a square above me, with the fronts about 4 feet in front of my listening position and the rears about 4 feet behind my listening position (picture an 8-foot square with me at the center). I would say the "waba waba" voices appear to be coming from directly above me, with maybe a little left/right or front/back movement as they play (but just a little - it could be an just an effect or illusion).

That sounds more like what I get with a very discrete top middle. I also don't know if it varies by heights or tops, but clearly a discrete top middle combined with heights images closer to Tops and and a more helper array (similar to smaller room heights only?) or using my top middle as rear heights seems to image forward more. I think the precedence effect can change the combined image location as well if the distance/delay is changed.

Yes - I'm considering maybe purchasing another copy. When this limited edition disc goes out of print, it will probably command Kraftwerk SACD Maximum-Minimum prices. Mind you, you'll have to wait 15 years for that to happen!

Just bought last one from Pure Audio.

Looks like it was a limited edition...
Screen Shot 2021-11-24 at 8.40.25 pm.png

Back