Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the DTS CD has a different mix and mastering from the later SACD & DVD-A, in particular the Centre is used more aggressively than on the SACD/DVD-A but there are also some differences in the Rears 🙂

The most notable difference I found is that the drums are mixed 100% to the front channels on the DTS-CD--no trace whatsoever in the rears. On the later DVD-A/SACD 5.1 mix, the kit is like 75% in the fronts and 25% in the rears. There's also the missing tom fill at the beginning of "My Rival" on the later mix.

Always a good idea to put on a Bibb before i eat lunch
1614629687496.png
Eric Bibb Rainbow People
many thanks to @J. PUPSTER for singing the praises of Mr. Bibb!

THREAD

The most notable difference I found is that the drums are mixed 100% to the front channels on the DTS-CD--no trace whatsoever in the rears. On the later DVD-A/SACD 5.1 mix, the kit is like 75% in the fronts and 25% in the rears. There's also the missing tom fill at the beginning of "My Rival" on the later mix.

did you find the DTS CD Centre channel to have more vocals etc going on in there?

Maybe a more nuanced thing, and possibly just my own perception as an album I listened to a zillion times in stereo and then the DTS CD for nearly 5 years before the SACD came out, I felt like the electric pianos were a bit more prominent on the DTS CD, and a little less so in favour of organ and piano on the SACD mix. At first I didn't like the SACD mix as much as the DTS (we fear change, to quote Garth Algar) but now it's pretty much the only way I listen to Gaucho.

What you gonna do when things go wrong?
What you gonna do when it all cracks up?
What you gonna do when the Love burns down?
What you gonna do when the flames go up?
Who is gonna come and turn the tide?
What's it gonna take to make a dream survive?
Who's got the touch to calm the storm inside?
Who's gonna save you?
Alive and Kicking
Stay until your love is, Alive and Kicking

Stay until your love is, until your love is, Alive
1614652261733.png
Simple Minds Once Upon A Time

POLL

Back