So I have a quad LP or not?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
A little while ago, I bought Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Wake Up Everybody, off of a Discogs seller. Good albums, nice deal, no problems. Today, I decided to listen to it again. And I noticed something.

Although the album sleeve shows SQ Quadraphonic with the catalog number as PZQ, the record label does not. It's just PZ and marked STEREO. DAMN. Ripped off (likely not on purpose, I'm sure. Not the first time a seller doesn't really understand the quad thing.)

But, when I look at Discogs, the listing actually shows that this record is quadraphonic, but with the PZ prefix. :unsure: That's the 1975 issue. There's also 1976 issue of the record that shows the PZQ and quad. So I'm totally confused. o_O

Anyone have any experience with this one? Is it really quad and not marked on the record label? Is the Discogs listing wrong? I can't really tell just by listening.

1975 listing
https://www.discogs.com/Harold-Melvin-The-Blue-Notes-Wake-Up-Everybody/release/12236805and
1976 listing
https://www.discogs.com/Harold-Melvin-The-Blue-Notes-Wake-Up-Everybody/release/4655788
(I know what I really need to do. Dump the record and buy the DV disc, right?) :cry:

There were a few that were reissued in the late 90s that used the quad cover but was actually the stereo mix.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/quad-on-the-outside-stereo-on-the-inside.9478
Looks like I have the fake one. 😓 You wrote:

Now some tricky ones. Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes -
Wake Up Everybody. This fake quad looks exactly like
the real quad on the outside. If it is sealed, you will
have no way of telling if it is quad or not except.....
the real quad uses thicker cardboard for the cover and
the inner sleeve is also cardboard. The fake quad
uses thinner cardboard and a plain paper inner sleeve.
The fake has no barcode or any other identifying marks.
But the record inside has the regular stereo LP. I played
the fake quad and it is definitely not quad.

Mine is definitely the thin, shiny cardboard and no barcode (although, did they have barcodes back in 1975?)

Avoid like bad floyd any and all vinyl albums that have quadraphonic on the Front Cover Album jacket but contain a "bar code" on the back cover. (especially the still sealed)
There were absolutely no bar code albums at any time in the 70's quad era.
Those are dead give away stereo repressings from the 90's. Of course it goes without saying the labels should never have taken the consumer for granted.

AND :

Also "extremely rare" were a very small number of accidents, where by a stereo album was mistakenly inserted into a 70's quad album jacket.
I had 2 such albums , one was Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow , the other Seals and Croft -I'll play for you.
Now at the time, they were still available in quad , so easy peezy , to replace. This of course was back in the 70's quad era.

Back