Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried playing off the straight dump of the INXS disc and it still skipped so it's most likely a disc error of some kind. I had just updated the MakeMKV build. I hope it's not a bug.... It plays Atmos without skips on the LG BD player. I could try dumping with another drive. Maybe I could still get the previous binary as well.

OK, I did some searching and it's NOT a disc error with INXS's Kick in Atmos. It's an NVidia Shield KODI issue due to the ultra-high bit-rate used in the tracks according to a post at the Steve Hoffman forums (Ripping Dolby TrueHD / DTS-MA --> FLAC).

Sadly, that doesn't help since the tracks have to be lossless for Atmos to work. You can't reduce the bitrate. It also explains why the core tracks work without skips (lower bit-rate). It seems some UHD movies have a similar problem according to that post. KICK is only 11Mbps peaks (they're talking about a 16Mbps peak file). Only two of the music videos skipped here ("Kick" and "Need You Tonight") in Atmos, oddly enough. "Kick" also skips badly on the music only version so it's probably because they're the same track. I imagine if I checked again, I'd find the same thing on Need You Tonight music only as well.

The "easy" solution is just play them off the disc, but that's a PITA since it defeats the entire point of using a server in the first place (that would make it disc #2 to have an issue here; the other being "Red Tails" in Auro-3D because KODI cannot read the Auro-3D meta data from a straight PCM/FLAC soundtrack file. It has to be wrapped in TrueHD or DTS-HD MA to work.

Woke up this morning to find an email in my inbox from DeepDiscount, cancelling and refunding my order of Booka Shade, Galvany Street. :(

Unfortunately, we are not able to fill the item(s) below . . . We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.​

I took a quick look around. It seems to be currently unavailable just about everywhere (jpc.de has it as part of the huge box set that includes LPs, CDs, etc. but not by itself).

OK, I need another Atmos music fix while waiting for my full Kraftwerk box set version in 3D to arrive from the UK (running late).

I'm looking for something more like Booka Shade, Yello or even Steven Wilson in term of Atmos mixing style, no necessarily that type of music (obviously meaning I have those albums already).

I also already have Lichtmond The Journey (pretty good) and INXS (poor mix by comparison to above). Roger Waters' The Wall was great sounding for a live concert, but still heavily front orientated. I want an Atmos workout.

I also have several Auro-3D albums already (Mando Diao's Aelita was pretty good) and I think I'm aware of all if those available already.

Any recommendations?

New Atmos and Auro-3D title is coming on March 31st:
The J.B. Experience (as in James Bond) album was originally recorded by the band Mister Moto around 2014. Now remixed at msm studios – incl. a dedicated 5.1 mix – it's released as a BD-A digipack (5000 pcs) and pre-order is already up here:
https://www.grobi.tv/pureaudio-blur...ce-alternative-rock-in-dolby-atmos-und-auro3dThe German outfit (fronted by a Canadian/German singer Tomson) has disbanded around 2017. The music is described as alternative rock with electronic elements, more information can be found in this short teaser video:

New Atmos and Auro-3D title is coming on March 31st:
The J.B. Experience (as in James Bond) album was originally recorded by the band Mister Moto around 2014. Now remixed at msm studios – incl. a dedicated 5.1 mix – it's released as a BD-A digipack (5000 pcs) and pre-order is already up here:
https://www.grobi.tv/pureaudio-blur...ce-alternative-rock-in-dolby-atmos-und-auro3dThe German outfit (fronted by a Canadian/German singer Tomson) has disbanded around 2017. The music is described as alternative rock with electronic elements, more information can be found in this short teaser video:

That sounds interesting. I'd order it, but grobi.tv doesn't deliver to the US. I don't see it on Amazon or jpc.de and I don't know where else to look.

After watching the YouTube video, I fail to hear what that has to do with James Bond, though.... I was expecting some remixed covers of James Bond movie songs or something (which could be sweet, especially in Atmos as there were a lot of good theme songs in those movies. I still remember Millennium by Robbie Williams using the sample from You Only Live Twice back around the Y2K).

Last edited:
OK, I need another Atmos music fix while waiting for my full Kraftwerk box set version in 3D to arrive from the UK (running late).

I'm looking for something more like Booka Shade, Yello or even Steven Wilson in term of Atmos mixing style, no necessarily that type of music (obviously meaning I have those albums already).

I also already have Lichtmond The Journey (pretty good) and INXS (poor mix by comparison to above). Roger Waters' The Wall was great sounding for a live concert, but still heavily front orientated. I want an Atmos workout.

I also have several Auro-3D albums already (Mando Diao's Aelita was pretty good) and I think I'm aware of all if those available already.

Any recommendations?

Ambra - Prism of Life (although I remember you told about difficulties to get it from Grobi.tv)
Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot - Very impressive and immersive mix. Not much panning sounds but as there are many instruments in the band, lots of different locations. A lot of use of the Wides.
Lichtmond 3 - Days of eternity - The third release before the fourth The Journey. Similar good Video with other story and other music. Also good the first and second Lichtmond only in 7.1
RPWL - A New Down - Neo-prog RPWL concert in Atmos. Not special Atmos discrete, but good sound. Very interesting if you like that group.
Schiller - Morgenstund - Very good if you like his electronic music
Schiller - Summer in Berlin - Also very good
Max Cooper - Emergence - Also electronic
Matt Darey - Wolf - Good Atmos effects. Very immersive. Soundstage not frontal, but overall specially from above, even the main vocal, sometimes. Available in his web. mkv download.

Ambra - Prism of Life (although I remember you told about difficulties to get it from Grobi.tv)

Yeah. I don't know why they won't deliver to the US. They don't want more sales, I guess.

Lichtmond 3 - Days of eternity - The third release before the fourth The Journey. Similar good Video with other story and other music. Also good the first and second Lichtmond only in 7.1
Schiller - Morgenstund - Very good if you like his electronic music

I've got both of those already and all the Lichtmonds. I loved Lichtmond 3. I didn't care much for Schiller (boring mood music).

Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot - Very impressive and immersive mix. Not much panning sounds but as there are many instruments in the band, lots of different locations. A lot of use of the Wides.
RPWL - A New Down - Neo-prog RPWL concert in Atmos. Not special Atmos discrete, but good sound. Very interesting if you like that group.
Max Cooper - Emergence - Also electronic
Matt Darey - Wolf - Good Atmos effects. Very immersive. Soundstage not frontal, but overall specially from above, even the main vocal, sometimes. Available in his web. mkv download.

I'll take a look at these. Thanks.

I ordered the Kraftwerk full 3D box set back on Feb. 6th. Even Amazon says it's beyond late and is offering a refund. I don't know if it's lost or not. I might give it another two weeks before canceling.

One more BD-A disc from msm studios on the horizon – Jazzmachine's third album Times should be out in April/May with Dolby Atmos and Sony 360 mixes.
Sources: Jazzmachine or FB: Log in to Facebook

1616417109276.png

Last edited:
I tried playing off the straight dump of the INXS disc and it still skipped so it's most likely a disc error of some kind. I had just updated the MakeMKV build. I hope it's not a bug....

INXS and all other Atmos releases (music and movies) play perfectly on my two Kodi Intel NUCs. The only one that won’t play is The Beatles Abbey Road (this is high bitrate 16Mbps). But the latest MakeMKV allows that to play now with way less skips than previously (but still not acceptable).

Please try and rip your INXS to MKV with latest. There was a recent fix to TrueHD unpacking that may help you.

INXS and all other Atmos releases (music and movies) play perfectly on my two Kodi Intel NUCs. The only one that won’t play is The Beatles Abbey Road (this is high bitrate 16Mbps). But the latest MakeMKV allows that to play now with way less skips than previously (but still not acceptable).

Please try and rip your INXS to MKV with latest. There was a recent fix to TrueHD unpacking that may help you.

I believe I used V1.16.1. I don't see anything in the 1.16.2 or 1.16.3 versions that sound like what you're referring to, unless it's not listed? Maybe 1.15.4 sounds more like it? It's possible an NVidia Shield simply can't handle as high a bit-rate as your Intel NUCs? I didn't try copying it straight to the Shield's hard drive, though. In the past, things that were near the edge often did better on local drives than network. I could try that out, I suppose. I think it only skips on 3 tracks (1 video) and the regular surround soundtrack doesn't skip at all. Given the extremely poor Atmos use (most of the effects are at ear level and are in the surround version), I'm not terribly worried about it.

Maybe I misunderstand but do you have,
Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot Atmos & Auro tracks
BBB / Bernie Dresel Burn, Burn, Burn Atmos
BBB / Bernie Dresel Live and Bernin Auro
Should all be avialble from the band's website.

Maybe I misunderstand but do you have,
Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot Atmos & Auro tracks
BBB / Bernie Dresel Burn, Burn, Burn Atmos
BBB / Bernie Dresel Live and Bernin Auro
Should all be avialble from the band's website.

I tried to buy Burn Burn Burn, but I got a defective disc, as you may recall and ultimately it got refunded. I'm also not a big jazz fan to begin with (the track that was on the Auro disc had a big band slant to it, though which I like better, even though I'm not hugely into big band either, but my grandfather was so I'm rather familiar with a lot of material, particularly from Glen Miller, for example (and lots of Rag Time as well which he had piano scrolls galore to play on his player piano when I was a kid).

Generally speaking, I'm more of a progressive rock (hail Pink Floyd) kind of guy with a major thing for Tori Amos as well as Japanese anime soundtracks and various Electronica groups (starting with Enigma then to Delerium and now to Booka Shade, Yello, Kraftwerk, etc.)

Generally speaking, I'm more of a progressive rock (hail Pink Floyd) kind of guy
Amen to that, me too. Going to see the Classic Albums Live cover band do PF DSOTM at the Orlando Hard Rock on Fri. Not the same but as close as we can get live right now, and only $50 ;)

Bummer about that defective disc, both mine play perfect?

Amen to that, me too. Going to see the Classic Albums Live cover band do PF DSOTM at the Orlando Hard Rock on Fri. Not the same but as close as we can get live right now, and only $50 ;)

Bummer about that defective disc, both mine play perfect?

Well, I didn't want to order another one from the same eBay guy because he seemed kind of put out about having to refund that one. The disc at least somewhat played in a regular BD player (I was able to preview, but a couple of tracks still skipped), but then I tried a dremel polishing tool thing to try and get the scratches out (he didn't want the disc back) and ended up making it 100% unplayable and since it refused to dump at all, I only have the Auro-3D demo track now. Maybe I'll order one again at some point, but I'm not crazy about paying through the nose for jazz when I know I won't listen to it on a regular basis.

I'm already finding myself avoiding most of the tracks on Booka Shade's Dear Future Self (I LOVE "Perfect Way" though; that track just rocks) and I just listened again to Galvany Street yesterday all the way through and while I thought was excellent the first listen, I'm now finding half the tracks don't do that much for me, at least not when I'm in the mood for some bass pounding stuff (oddly light on the bass/drums on that album, but does place objects all over creation which is nice, but eventually loses its stand-alone magic if the music doesn't move me).

Really, the one album in Atmos I keep playing constantly is Yello's Point. It's just awesome. There's only two tracks I don't really care for (Zephyr Calling and Insane). I've already purchased and listened to four more Yellow albums (Essential plus the last 3 albums, "Toy" "Touch Yellow" and "The Eye") and even though I've listened to The Eye and Toy like 30 times now each, they just don't do as much for me as Point. I do love "Tiger Dust" on The Eye, though. The "hmmmm" sound appears about halfway out into the room in DSU and Neural X and about 35% with just stereo.

I think Toy and The Eye would be awesome in Atmos, but in stereo they're just very good. I couldn't get into most of Touch Yello and I only liked about half the tracks I heard on Essential so Yello isn't a "100%" kind of thing for me like Pink Floyd and Tori Amos were (OK, they're about more like 90% each, but both had a lot of albums and material so just playing through it takes hours at a time picking out favorites even).

I also remembered I had Yello's One Second on LP from a long time ago and dusted that one off and played it straight off the turntable on the Carver system. It was actually pretty good so I might still go back and get a few more full early albums.

At least I'm listening to some new (to me) music again. I went like 10+ years where I probably only bought around 8 albums. I've bought more music (due to Atmos and Auro) over the past two years than the previous 12 combined (and I have 12,000 songs and over 400 CDs and probably 50+ LPs). Something went wrong with mainstream pop and progressive rock after grunge and I had a hard time finding new music so I went back to the '60s and '70s and even the '30s and '40s for some stuff along with some Japanese anime soundtrack recommendations in the mid-90s from a friend in Connecticut. I discovered Electronica in the mid-90s too, but I haven't kept up with all of it. I've only got one Daft Punk album, but I have to wonder why they haven't put out an Atmos remix yet? They seem like they would be right on top of that.

If Waters - Gilmore could at least come together on some new mixes they could all make a lot of money selling their entire catalog all over again in Atmos mixes. OMG that would be awesome. LOL

I have no problem with my Auro rips, but still have yet to get a Atmos rip on the hard drive and be able to get my Marantz Pre/Pro to recognize it. :mad: You must have some magic tricks.

Last edited:
If Waters - Gilmore could at least come together on some new mixes they could all make a lot of money selling their entire catalog all over again in Atmos mixes. OMG that would be awesome. LOL

I have no problem with my Auro rips, but still have yet to get a Atmos rip on the hard drive and be able to get my Marantz Pre/Pro to recognize it. :mad: You must have some magic tricks.

Really? What are you using for ripping and what are you using for playback? What does it show on the Receiver display and INFO button when you play the files? Do DTS:X rips work for you?

Just to save time even though I'm probably just going over the obvious, for MakeMKV, just rip TrueHD 7.1 tracks with Atmos. There's nothing to it. For playback with KODI, you need a device (e.g. NVidia Shield) that do a bitstream passthrough (obviously set to "Expert" in KODI settings and "TrueHD capable receiver" checked in the audio settings, but I would think if Auro works, Atmos should also work (although that needs DTS-HD MA capable receiver enabled in KODI instead). Otherwise, KODI just wants to re-encode to Dolby Digital. If by some odd reason the decode mode gets set to something else on the Marantz, you cycle through to Dolby Surround/Atmos (but it's usually automatically recognized unless you saved a non-Dolby setting or something in the smart keys) and that's pretty much all there is to it.

Atmos is way easier to deal with than Auro-3D because it's readily auto-recognized as is DTS:X in the Marantz receiver. Auro-3D often defaults to DTS + Neural X or something instead (depends on the saved setting). Auro-3D discs generally have two sets of DTS files too which is kind of annoying (usually the 2nd set). But Atmos? Smooth sailing here every time (well except for the higher bitrate on INXS).

Back