Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - “The Red Planet” CD+DVD out 4/3/2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, a heads up to anyone still interested in this release. ImportCDs is still shipping the pop-up version with the DVD and surround mix included.
I ordered mine on March 8th and it arrived today, on March 12th. It's the version with the bar code printed centrally on the back and no blank field for a limited number to be hand written.

Interestingly the bar code is the same as the earlier limited number versions. I thought it might have been different because the ImportCDs item number is three digits different than the printed bar code, but nope. I'd guess that Rick or the label determined they'd fair better on the cost of the whole project if they subsequently released more discs that weren't limited numbers. The financial crimp of COVID and inability to tour may have helped to encourage that. Either way, I'm glad I was able to buy a copy before they do perhaps vanish.

From the blurb:

May 2021, sees Madfish releasing a new 2 disc version of the album as a CD + DVD format which will feature the original album on CD and the DVD will showcase the album in glorious 5.1 surround Sound and Hi-res stereo audio (PCM Stereo @ 24-bit 96kHz / Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround @ 24-bit 48kHz / DTS 5.1 Digital Surround @ 24-bit 96kHz) plus 3 mini promo films and a 70 minute documentary of "The Making Of The Red Planet", presented in a digipak with a 16 page colour booklet.

From the blurb:

May 2021, sees Madfish releasing a new 2 disc version of the album as a CD + DVD format which will feature the original album on CD and the DVD will showcase the album in glorious 5.1 surround Sound and Hi-res stereo audio (PCM Stereo @ 24-bit 96kHz / Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround @ 24-bit 48kHz / DTS 5.1 Digital Surround @ 24-bit 96kHz) plus 3 mini promo films and a 70 minute documentary of "The Making Of The Red Planet", presented in a digipak with a 16 page colour booklet.

Needs an edit with " glorious 5.1 surround sound upmix"

A bit of a head scratcher that they are now touting a multi-channel mix that was reported to be cancelled from the original project....
only to have quick make-good upmix gesture mysteriously appear unannounced on the delayed DVD ....
that was only supposed to be on the limited edition ......
that really wasn't a limited edition, because you could get a retail copy.....
that was really only different cause a barcode took the place where the limited # out of ### box.....
that several people could write in their own number........
that will now be reissued in a digipak that may or may not have a pop-up art feature. :ROFLMAO:

I canceled my original order when the plans for a 5.1 were scrapped. Got lucky ordering the subsequent version from CD Import that ended up having the DVD. Glad I lucked out cause Heyworth did a nice job on the upmix.

Last edited:
@lowwhistler - apologies if I hurt your feelings. Kind of just having a good chuckle at the whole thing.

Maybe maddening was the wrong word but the whole affair still seems to have played out odd to me.
You came along with inside information (it was appreciated) and then kind of left some us hanging when you stated that you would try and check to see if the retail versions had the DVD with the upmix but you ghosted the thread.

Can't wait to get my hands on the 5.1 mix!!!

Which......is why I started keeping an excel sheet of all my purchases, how I paid, how much I paid, date of order, yada yada. It helps
You really should consider using Quicken for your finance record keeping. I've been using it since 2009 and Microsoft Money for 10 years before that. Keeping everything in a finance management software will change your life, having a full overview of your spending/saving habits will greatly improve your money management.
And being able to access every transaction you've ever made since your involvement in the software with a simple
one or two word search is an awesome tool to have at your disposal.

Can't wait to get my hands on the 5.1 mix!!!

You really should consider using Quicken for your finance record keeping. I've been using it since 2009 and Microsoft Money for 10 years before that. Keeping everything in a finance management software will change your life, having a full overview of your spending/saving habits will greatly improve your money management.
And being able to access every transaction you've ever made since your involvement in the software with a simple
one or two word search is an awesome tool to have at your disposal.
Huh, well, never thought of that. I have what I have becasue it's free. I'm a cheapskate when it comes to excel type things.

Back