Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob Marley was on Island Records. Weren't they distributed by Mercury in the states?
Island bounced around from Warner / Atlantic, to Capitol, and over to Universal (when it was MCA). Mercury was a part of Polygram. Not seen any Poly related Marley.

Really too bad a lot of QQ posters don't appreciate what D~V has accomplished IN EXEMPLARY FASHION with their RCA/CBS Discrete Classical QUAD SACD releases and liberating all those RCA Charles Gerhardt Film Series from CD~4 Hell. IMO, neither RCA's CD~4 demodulator nor [most especially] CBS problematic SQ matrix systems could even HINT at what were on those extraordinary analogue masters. And by including multiple discs on their two~fer and even double SACD remasters, an amazing bang for the buck. Even those Q4 Open Reels duplicated at 7 1/2 ips with dolby b encoding pale in comparison to Michael Dutton's spot on remastering.

Keep 'em coming Michael.

Last edited:
Yes, those DV classical titles have inspired me to dig into the back catalog of Deutsche Grammophon on DVD-A and SACD to try and find any that are mixed in a more 4-corner quad style, and not the ambiance in rear channels style. I have a ton of classical works on LP and CD, and my music server has the flac encodes. But I am finding that I gravitate (mostly) to the Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living stereo stuff for those 3-channel mixes.

The newer DVD stuff from Columbia has me excited, and now I want more. There has to be some DG material from 2000 - 2004 issued discs (in true quad) of their back-catalog to dig into. I can do this while I am waiting for Sony Japan to come up with two more Santana quads and DV to come up with more of what they do best.

Yes, those DV classical titles have inspired me to dig into the back catalog of Deutsche Grammophon on DVD-A and SACD to try and find any that are mixed in a more 4-corner quad style, and not the ambiance in rear channels style. I have a ton of classical works on LP and CD, and my music server has the flac encodes. But I am finding that I gravitate (mostly) to the Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living stereo stuff for those 3-channel mixes.

The newer DVD stuff from Columbia has me excited, and now I want more. There has to be some DG material from 2000 - 2004 issued discs (in true quad) of their back-catalog to dig into. I can do this while I am waiting for Sony Japan to come up with two more Santana quads and DV to come up with more of what they do best.

I do have a lot of those DGG and Philips MLP DVD~A discs and they're ALL ambient. Even Pentatone's extraordinary RQR series of Philips and DGG unheard QUAD analogue masters from the 70's contain only ambience save for a few on DGG which were engineered discretely by Thomas Mowrey.

I likewise am a fan of those early Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo 3 channel SACD remasters. I also have a few RCA Living Stereo discs remastered in 3 channel SACD by Analogue Productions and they are, IMO, superior to those early SONY/RCA SACDs but of course omit the bonus tracks on the previous RCA SACDs.

And yeah, when, OH WHEN is SONY Japan going to release the next 'wave' of Santana QUAD SACDs in that special 7" packaging?

The licensing of the BTO quads may have to do with Randy Bachman, who has been agreeable to re-releasing anything from his long career. We'll see if any other Mercury/Phonogram artists get licensed.

I'm thinking with the new access to the Mercury Quads..... does that mean a reissue of The Ohio Players Fire & Honey in the near future?? I hope so. Perhaps even maybe delving in to see if any of the announced but unreleased titles exist? That could mean a couple of high-profile titles from Rod Stewart and Bob Marley.
I'd get those Ohio Players in a heartbeat! 💓

The licensing of the BTO quads may have to do with Randy Bachman, who has been agreeable to re-releasing anything from his long career. We'll see if any other Mercury/Phonogram artists get licensed.
Since Mercury/Phonogram are now part of Universal, could this mean UMG is open to the idea of DV releasing more of their multichannel material? They did allow a Capitol title, with the Helen Reddy disc. But if they do allow for more artists and titles to be released through DV, imagine what that could mean! More Moody Blues? More Elton John? More Who? It's mind-boggling!

Since Mercury/Phonogram are now part of Universal, could this mean UMG is open to the idea of DV releasing more of their multichannel material? They did allow a Capitol title, with the Helen Reddy disc. But if they do allow for more artists and titles to be released through DV, imagine what that could mean! More Moody Blues? More Elton John? More Who? It's mind-boggling!

The waiting is the hardest part. I would hope for the Elton's. They're pretty good, and it's just a darn shame that ALL his classic albums were mixed but I think at least two were left unreleased. Which is a shame because I really wanted to compile a multichannel "Greatest Hits". But without "Daniel" or "Crocodile Rock"..... no can do.

I even found the multitrack to "Daniel" but it's missing some drum tracks.

Three words... Hall. And. Oates.
Hall and Oates had no quad albums.

One would think that Abandoned Luncheonette should have gotten the Quad treatment given its 1973 release. But it wasn't very successful when it first came out. By the time She's Gone became a top 10 hit in 1976, I suspect that this album was off the Quad radar screen. It ultimately did hit platinum. I certainly would buy it if re-mixed and released in 5.1.

Edit: MoFi released it on LP. Only $300 on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3335130047...MIrfXy_Jvn7wIVxZ6zCh1efAwbEAQYBSABEgL5h_D_BwE

Outside of classical D-V hasn't done any remixing. I'd imagine they'd need a host of clearances that would make it extremely difficult. But...you never know?

i think maybe DV commissioned a couple of Raiders tracks to be newly mixed into MultiCh by Mark Wilder at Sony NY for inclusion in their Raiders SACD 2-fer release?

steelydave will have the info 🙂

I'd really like to know if Laura Nyro's "Christmas & the Beads of Sweat" and "Gonna take a Miracle" were really done. Would make for another good two-fer, probably the first time either album has been remastered or even seen a digital release ... and if they were done, would mean all three shelved Quad mixes will see the light of day!

Really, I'd like to see more unreleased stuff see the light of day, and/or stuff that is trapped in either matrix or Q8-only land.

Since Mercury/Phonogram are now part of Universal, could this mean UMG is open to the idea of DV releasing more of their multichannel material? They did allow a Capitol title, with the Helen Reddy disc.
The two Donald Byrd titles DV did were Blue Note records originally which was owned by Capitol and acquired by Universal.

So there are more than a couple (at least 6 albums) of Universal titles which DV got for quad SACD reissue.

I heard that they are or were very disorganized and not easy to work with. But if DV got six titles for quad, then that's six titles for quad. We can expect more.

Last edited:
i think maybe DV commissioned a couple of Raiders tracks to be newly mixed into MultiCh by Mark Wilder at Sony NY for inclusion in their Raiders SACD 2-fer release?

steelydave will have the info 🙂

Sony Classical and Sony Legacy (which handles all of Sony's pop/non-classical catalog) are two almost entirely separate entities with different policies, people and working procedures.

Mike's studio is fully equipped with all the vintage (and modern) mixing equipment and outboard gear necessary for quad mixing - Sony Classical have graciously allowed him to take advantage of that to do a number of quad remixes of classical catalog product. Sony Legacy, as far as I know, don't allow this kind of thing, except maybe in the case of higher profile artist-spearheaded reissue campaigns, like in the case of Alan Parsons for example, which is why Mark Wilder did the two Raiders tracks.

I think perhaps as well, that aside from quality control and the quagmire of getting people (artists/managers/reps/whoever has 'say so') to sign off on newly-created mixes, that Sony probably wants to keep a tight lid on their multi-tracks so that they can be the first to exploit them for Reality360, or whatever next-gen immersive audio format gains most widespread commercial dominance. The same goes for UMG and their multi-tracks, especially since their deal with Dolby for Atmos streaming content.

The two Donald Bryd titles DV did were Blue Note records originally which was owned by Capitol and acquired by Universal.

So there are more than a couple (at least 6 albums) of Universal titles which DV got for quad SACD reissue.

I heard that they are or were very disorganized and not easy to work with. But if DV got six titles for quad, then that's six titles for quad. We can expect more.

There are more than that - two Byrd titles, two Reddy titles, two BTO, two Ray Davies, Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box, and The Swingle Singers, along with 6 Paul Mauriat quad albums and a bunch more that were stereo-only. There are definitely more UMG titles in the pipeline, but just as with Sony, things have been slowed dramatically due to COVID-related shutdowns.

Back