Oppo BDP- 103

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been searching for an Oppo and found a 103 model for a reasonable price could I get a pros and cons review from any member that owns this model.
Much appreciated. Ken

Happy 103 owner for the past 5(?) years. I sort of wanted a 203, but couldn't afford one at the time, and I've got no regrets. I like the styling and slim profile, and the DAC is plenty good for my middling AVR and speakers. Solid transport, good remote, easy setup, FLAC and BDMV folder playback via USB.

Last edited:
I bought a used 103D after waiting too long to get a 203. Very happy with the performance. So much so that I recently bought a 103 as a backup.

They are very solidly-built with high quality components. They play most everything- no UHD of course. One of the main selling points was the incredible level of technical support, both in responsiveness and knowledge. This has continued despite the manufacturing ceasing, though how much longer it will continue is unsure.

Great AV performance, though I'm not sure there's a ton of difference between players with blu-rays if you're just using the drive as a transport, i.e. passing everything over HDMI to an AVR and TV. The Oppos do however excel at upconverting lower resolutions to 1080P. They will definitely outperform your TV or any AVR in this function. One great feature is the HDMI inputs, so you can use the Oppo as a scaler; i.e. input video sources and let the Oppo upscale them to 1080P. I have the DVR for my cable routed through the 103D and 1080i and 720p look much better than when I went straight to the TV.

The Oppo also excels as a "head unit" for digital files (I'm sure there's a better, more accurate descriptor than head unit, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I correct that). You can stream files over your network or attach USB hard drives and play their contents. There are many digital formats supported, both audio and video. More formats than any other disc player and many standalone streamers.

As mentioned you can use it to digitize sacds.

It's a remarkable piece of engineering from a company fueled by passion for high quality and performance who were very responsive to customers needs and desires, open to feedback and quick to address any problem areas. A company whose level of excellence is rare indeed today and whose passing was therefore deeply mourned. So you'd be not only buying a quality product, but a piece of technological history that celebrates value and excellence over obsolescence and bottom line.

The only con of which I'm aware is the inflated prices since Oppo left the market place. But they're still a good value imo., except for the 203/5s which I think are over-priced.

Thankyou for all the responses I have been happy with the Pioneer but it is not BR nor does it play Flac flies My only question is can I run analog RCA to my Sansui quad receiver but still use an HDMI connection for just video only with no sound when playing DVD music videos.

The Oppos do however excel at upconverting lower resolutions to 1080P. They will definitely outperform your TV or any AVR in this function.

While I agree with the the comment that the Oppo outputs stellar 1080P, I think it's somewhat of a moot point if you have it connected to a 4K TV as the TV or the AVR will have to upscale the 1080P to 2160P anyway. I guess it is important though to start with the best version of 1080P before that 2160P conversion occurs.

While I agree with the the comment that the Oppo outputs stellar 1080P, I think it's somewhat of a moot point if you have it connected to a 4K TV as the TV or the AVR will have to upscale the 1080P to 2160P anyway. I guess it is important though to start with the best version of 1080P before that 2160P conversion occurs.

Actually the 103s can upscale to 4k! But I let my TV upscale from 1080P. I think 4K TVs are optimized for good scaling from 1080P to 2160P since most of the sources they are fed are likely to be 1080P. So I believe a 4K TV will upscale from 1080P better than the Oppo. Just my belief, but I do know 1080P content looks stellar on my 4K TV.

Regardless, as you say, the better the 1080P content is, the better the result in 4K, regardless where the 1080 to 2160 upscaling occurs.

I definitely wouldn't let my AVR do any upscaling though...

It could have been the HDMI cable from the Oppo to the TV. I haven't changed it since the advent of 4K. I do have 8K rated cables running from my Sony X800 to the TV.

Great minds think alike. I also have a 103 and an x800 (mine's the M2). But I just recently added a 103 to the 103D I already had. Can never have enough universal players, given that they appear to be headed towards extinction...

Back