Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Atmos is way easier to deal with than Auro-3D because it's readily auto-recognized as is DTS:X in the Marantz receiver. Auro-3D often defaults to DTS + Neural X or something instead (depends on the saved setting). Auro-3D discs generally have two sets of DTS files too which is kind of annoying (usually the 2nd set).
Strange, I never had a issue with Auro, rip like any normal disc, one pass thru MakeMKV to decrypt and make the backup file, one pass thru DVD AE. Just select the right DTS file and rip. I can play back the file in Linux using Strawberry or Win 10 using Foobar (wasapi event into my marantz thru the onboard nVidia sound/video HDMI card). You then just have to manually select Auro3D and if you look at Status you'll see it's recognizing and playing AURO, Sig. AURO/PCM FORMAT: AURO 9.1 , Same as playing the disc on the BD player. Appears any player that can deliver the file bit perfect to the AVR will be fine

for MakeMKV, just rip TrueHD 7.1 tracks with Atmos.
Now to Atmos, to clerify, you mean use MakeMKV to create the backup file, and then rip the TrueHD 7.1 tracks with DVD AE?
What is the purpose of the Shield device, that one loses me if you can delievr the file bit perfect to the AVR?

No, he uses MakeMKV to create an MKV with only the TrueHD 7.1 stream, where Atmos lives, included.

1616536727941.png

VLC will pass Atmos now even on a Shield. But yes, you need to rip straight to MKV (no DVD AE; I'm not sure what that's doing, but I'm betting it's somehow messing up the Atmos information in the TrueHD tracks). KODI plays MKV and even MAT MP4 files directly.

I just ordered Gordon Goodwin's The Gordian Knot on Blu-Ray (Big Band '30s/'40s sound on a modern album). It has both Auro-3D 11.1 and Dolby Atmos versions included on the disc. It's a bit pricey at $40 USD shipped from jpc.de, but it also includes a CD copy.

Still waiting on Kraftwerk 3D Box Set.... I just contacted the seller to find out what's going on (just under 2 months now).

New Atmos and Auro-3D title is coming on March 31st:
The J.B. Experience (as in James Bond) album was originally recorded by the band Mister Moto around 2014. Now remixed at msm studios – incl. a dedicated 5.1 mix – it's released as a BD-A digipack (5000 pcs) and pre-order is already up here:
https://www.grobi.tv/pureaudio-blur...ce-alternative-rock-in-dolby-atmos-und-auro3dThe German outfit (fronted by a Canadian/German singer Tomson) has disbanded around 2017. The music is described as alternative rock with electronic elements, more information can be found in this short teaser video:

Wish I could get this in the US. Sounds excellent!

Wish I could get this in the US. Sounds excellent!

I thought the same until I previewed the album. I don't know where they get the James Bond Experience name from. The music sounds nothing like Bond music, let alone actual covers. I though maybe it was updated style Bond covers, but it just sounded like some rock/metal band, which leads me to believe they are/were just trying to capitalize on the James Bond moniker.

If you are using Kodi 19 (Matrix) you can use MMH to Extract Audio to M4A, tag and play the Atmos in Kodi as a normal audio album in the Kodi audio library.
I'll give that a try, thanks!
I'm still struggling with Atmos in both Win10 and Linux on my computer.
I assume both of you have the Atmos sound package installed in Win10?

Atmos sound package? I assume most are decoding at the AVR/prepro level, not in the OS. The Windows player (Kodi, JRiver) is just passing the MKV, etc files to the AVR/prepro

I just upgraded to KODI Matrix on m Nvidia Shield Pro. You can now play SACD ISOs directly instead of having to convert them using a plugin. It works with multichannel discs as well. I plan to try separating the audio tracks from my Bluray Atmos albums next (should save some space dumping blank video and perhaps you can then use a visualizer with Atmos/Auro albums instead of a blank/black screen.

On the down side, SMB is all screwed up (they apparently want to force you to use a name/password now instead of a guest account even though SMB3 has no such requirement). Be careful or you'll have to rescan all your library. I just edited the master network source list and added the info, but the problem then is uf I reboot on my Mac into Windows 10 instead, it has a different password (actually a passcide instead) so that makes it difficult to make the libraries available under both operating systems.

Someone told me adding a single space for name and password gets guest working again, but I haven't tried it yet. I really don't know why Team KODI insists in trying to make life miserable for people out of nowhere; it reminds me of MAME changing Rom requirements all the time with zero functional difference just for the hell of it back in the day).

Does anyone offer a 4K UHD BD player with 3D support that also does SACD multichannel over HDMI (preferably regionless too) I only want to have one disc player connected to my home theater at this point (other than my old laserdisc player).

Sony 800M2 has what you want,but is not regionless,but think I saw on another forum that some sellers could deliver it that way.Beware that it has no display,if that's a dealbreaker.

Sony 800M2 has what you want,but is not regionless,but think I saw on another forum that some sellers could deliver it that way.Beware that it has no display,if that's a dealbreaker.

I believe I found one on the 220 Electronics site that is perhaps a regionless version of it or similar for around $360. I'm thinking about it. I rarely use discs anymore since I dump and convert if necessary to put them on my whole house server, but it would still be nice to have just in case.

Back