An ULTRA ULTRA ULTRA RARE 5.1 SACD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvadro

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
I still don't understand a group like Can that remastered ALL their albums for SACD in STEREO only !!!!
This sacd was release in 2004
You are going to suffer to find a copy, unless you are VERY lucky of course
Note : it is written "All tracks RENDERED into 5.1 surround sound from the original stereo master tapes by..."
Tracks:
1- "Spoon" 3:05 (from "Ege Bamyas"i)
2- "You Doo Right" (edit) 8:25 (from "Monster Movie")
3- "One more Night" 5:33 (from "Ege Bamyasi")
4- "Half Past One" 4:30 (from "Landed")
5- "Mushroom" 4:05 (from Ege Tago Mago)
6- "Oh Yeah" 6:50 (from "Tago Mago")
7- "Halleluwah" (edit) 9:33 (from "Tago Mago)"
8- "Sing Swan Song" 4:33 (from "Ege Bamyasi")
9- "Tango Whiskyman" 4:03 (from "Soundtracks")
10- "Below this Level" 2:13 (from Ege "Rite Time")
11- "Smoke" 3:15 (from "Flow Motion")
12- "Get the Can" 2:03 (available only on Can DVD)
13- "She Brings the Rain" 4:08 (from "Soundtracks")

This is REALLY something VERY special !!!!!.!

Attachments

• rare.GIF
    rare.GIF
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,032
Last edited:
I still don't understand a group like Can that remastered ALL their albums for SACD in STEREO only !!!!
This sacd was release in 2004
You are going to suffer to find a copy, unless you are VERY lucky of course
Note : it is written "All tracks RENDERED into 5.1 surround sound from the original stereo master tapes by..."
Tracks:
1- "Spoon" 3:05 (from "Ege Bamyas"i)
2- "You Doo Right" (edit) 8:25 (from "Monster Movie")
3- "One more Night" 5:33 (from "Ege Bamyasi")
4- "Half Past One" 4:30 (from "Landed")
5- "Mushroom" 4:05 (from Ege Tago Mago)
6- "Oh Yeah" 6:50 (from "Tago Mago")
7- "Halleluwah" (edit) 9:33 (from "Tago Mago)"
8- "Sing Swan Song" 4:33 (from "Ege Bamyasi")
9- "Tango Whiskyman" 4:03 (from "Soundtracks")
10- "Below this Level" 2:13 (from Ege "Rite Time")
11- "Smoke" 3:15 (from "Flow Motion")
12- "Get the Can" 2:03 (available only on Can DVD)
13- "She Brings the Rain" 4:08 (from "Soundtracks")

This is REALLY something VERY special !!!!!.!

That's rare all right. I'd heard about but never seen a copy until now !

Blergh. More fake surround processing. No thanks.
I wondered about that but maybe it is just a poor choice of verbiage written by some marketing whiz who doesn't fully understand what they're talking about. I know that Can mixed a number of tracks in true surround from the multi-track tapes. The Can DVD has a number of the same songs listed on this Promo SACD in true surround. In fact, part of the DVD shows members of Can in the studio mixing the songs at a multi-track console. It is really cool to watch and listen as they fade in and out certain tracks.

Be that as it may, I'm very curious about this SACD. I'm tempted to say that its bogus, but I think it would be very difficult to craft an SACD bootleg. I did some research and it is mentioned on a few Can discography websites (listed as "2004 surround promo").

I remain suspect, but I'm inclined to say its the real deal. Drool, drool, drool!

Very weird if this is a legitimate release. Looks authentic, but smells like a boot. If not, the question would be: why?

Wow! Interesting item! Would be more enticing if they were true surround mixes from the stems. Most of these are pre-Landed tracks, before they recorded in multi-channel. Actually the four songs that were mixed from the stems are on the Can DVD. Still an interesting release though!

I managed to snag this disc last week. The 5.1 sounds amazing. There is no way it is fake 5.1. My surround system can isolate each channel in turn and there is no feedback from other channels except for the second last track, "Get the Can" which was mastered from a Can DVD.

I managed to snag this disc last week. The 5.1 sounds amazing. There is no way it is fake 5.1. My surround system can isolate each channel in turn and there is no feedback from other channels except for the second last track, "Get the Can" which was mastered from a Can DVD.

Wow! Nice snag! I'm still hunting for this one.

But I still don't understand how the mix on the pre-Landed tracks can be true 5.1. As I understand it, Can recorded in a mix-down state up until this album. There are no stems to work with.

Is there a noticeable difference between the earlier tracks the four I mentioned above (which are true surround)?

Sorry, just realized I never mentioned the four by name. They are:

Smoke
Half Past One
Below This Level
Get The Can

Wow! Nice snag! I'm still hunting for this one.

But I still don't understand how the mix on the pre-Landed tracks can be true 5.1. As I understand it, Can recorded in a mix-down state up until this album. There are no stems to work with.

Is there a noticeable difference between the earlier tracks the four I mentioned above (which are true surround)?
There is actually a noticable improvement in quality in the tracks you mentioned. But there is a believable 5.1 effect throughout the album.
About the SACD itself, I got it for $160 from a German guy called "toko42" on ebay.
I snapped it up because the only ones I have seen on eBay in the last year were going for upwards of $1000.
Here is the one I bought:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290604152892&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:DE:1123

(Surprise surprise!) eBay :)

there had been one up there from a seller in Europe for the longest time.. I gave up searching for it on eBay, it became too dispiriting seeing that listing since the seller wanted an absolutely astronomical price for it that I'd never pay let alone be able to afford (at one point they wanted €1,000 for it).

so, time passes.. I randomly google searched, around 10 days ago, for Can Unlimited Edition SACD (it's the last Can SACD I need now) and up popped a listing for this Promo from a different eBay seller (great guy btw, best of the best, highly recommend them) elsewhere in Europe who had it too and so I jumped on it.

It's far and away the most expensive SACD I've ever bought but it was a lot, lot cheaper than the other seller was asking, who now seems to have withdrawn their listing after all this time (or they haven't got around to relisting it yet, or I just can't find it!).

I am sure I have missed many interesting threads like this one as was not aware of this album in 5.1.
Good snag Adam, that is sure rare and what a weird thing to do by the band or the label.
Why wouldn't they just release it to everyone.
I wasn't interested in the stereo only but would have gone for a true 5.1 of this band for a reasonable price.
Who did the mix of this album in 5.1?
thanks for sharing Adam.....

Back