Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fixed
8184moHiSlL.jpg

So SAAAAAD...we just saw Castle's last episode right now on DVD, I got all 8 seasons... I LOOOOVE the series, discovered it in 2014(?) in Madrid and have seen it at least twice!... and of course I LOOOVE Stana...do NOT like her new series, wayyy too creepy and no humor whatsoever!!!!
528x528-Q90_01f88ff2bc34dfae4149dbb5c330aa53.jpg

With a running time of 208 minutes, Martin Scorsese's THE IRISHMAN is epic in scope yet intimate in its exploration of small time mobster Frank 'The Irishman' Sheeran who along with Teamster Union Boss Jimmy Hoffa forged a path of chaos and destruction during the rather chaotic late 50's through 1970's America.

Much has been said about the de~aging process of the three main leads, De Niro, Pacino and Pesci but IMO, their performances are equal to their very best cinematic work. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards, Scorsese's sprawling tale of mayhem, corruption and deceit ironically walked away empty handed.

Criterion's BD~V is its very own reward as both picture and sound quality struck from a 4K master is exemplary on every level.

The genesis of The Irishman was based on interviews conducted by author Charles Brandt [based on his novel "I Heard You Paint Houses'] with mobster Frank Sheeran before his death and if you really want to know what happened to Jimmy Hoffa .......I do believe Scorsese's latest mini masterpiece should adequately answer that enigma!

81ok8dePSLL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoyed the movie and it felt like a fitting film to showcase the leads and pay homage to their body of work.
I was less a fan of when it shifted from fact to fiction but I suppose the film deserved to present closure and the direction they took was as good choice as any.

I enjoyed the movie and it felt like a fitting film to showcase the leads and pay homage to their body of work.
I was less a fan of when it shifted from fact to fiction but I suppose the film deserved to present closure and the direction they took was as good choice as any.

Whether the sequence of events as portrayed by Scorsese in the donouement of the IRISHMAN are indeed fact ... or fiction...the fact remains that Hoffa's remains were never found and Hoffa's arrogance/cockiness points to a simple reality that NO MAN is omnipotent!

EDIT: If you watch Criterion's EXCELLENT 2nd BD~V containing only extras, author Charles Brandt indicates that Frank Sheeran unequivocally stated that he did shoot Hoffa and his remains were cremated!

Last edited:
Watched this SPECTACULAR Native UHD4K Remaster from Arrow Video. I never saw it before. An Over the top 90's Flick. Picture and Sound: Stunning! [HDR/Dolby Vision/5.1 DISCRETE]

King of New York UHD Special Edition image 1

Just shipping out ...my latest cache from Kino Lorber's recent super sale. Notice the Native UHD4K [FINALLY] of Sergio Leone's The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Billy Bathgate (Blu-ray)1$6.49 The Bounty (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 Brick (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 Dead of Night (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 Death on the Nile (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$11.99 Evil Under the Sun (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$11.99 Truman Capote's The Glass House (Blu-ray)1$7.99 Grandview U.S.A. (Blu-ray)1$9.99 Jack the Giant Killer (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 Kundun (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$13.99 The Mirror Crack'd (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 My Science Project (Blu-ray)1$12.99 Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 Sweet Charity (Two-Disc Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$9.99 The Wanderers (Blu-ray)1$9.99 The Spiral Staircase (Blu-ray)1$9.99 The Vikings (Blu-ray)1$9.99 UHD4K The Good, The Bad and The Ugly 23.95!

To be honest, i only picked the movie up because of Ralph's head's up to the Kino Lorber sale! I browsed the sale discs looking for surround mixes, and when i saw Coda had one, i read the reviews i posted; the description of the concert sealed the deal for me! It is absolutely transcendent! I knew Sakamoto from Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence--as an actor first! I adored the score and was surprised to see his name as composer when i the credits rolled! I don't know that i feel a need to score (as it were) Async: Surrounded, as the performance on the Blu-ray i have is so damn stunning aurally, i can't imagine it being better; and to see him performing it live just takes it to the next level. Let us know if you decide to pursue it; knowing my addiction to surround, i may follow you!
After one month and a half transit from Japan I received today Async and the surround mix is simply stunning (apart from the music being beautiful, although not suited for everyone's tastes). I'm tempted to open a thread just for Async, price is high due to the need to import from Japan but it's really worthy and really deserves some promotion here

Back