DVD/DTS Poll Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee [DTS CD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTSCD of Toy Matinee - TOY MATINEE

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters
Well I am still quite taken with this album. It may sound Pop-ish now, but good grief people what IS Pop now? Personally I find the writing superb. The music itself is so layered I'm still finding new things within it. Every time Remember My Name & Things She Said come up on the disc I sing along.
The final two songs take the wind out of me, though. Not bad songs... the gist of There Was A Little Boy is clear enough, sadly. We All Come Home is a wistful reminder to me that I've lived most of my life. But I'm determined to stick around as long as The Stones!

Downgrading my vote from a 10 to 9, for the DVD-A. 8 for the DTS CD.
Content could be a little bit stronger. Weird that the MLP is only 44.1k. Maybe the album was recorded that way?
Anyhow, this is still a must.

Blasphemy, young man, I say it! o_O Lol, yeah the DVDA's a pretty good 8.5 - 9, I agree.

Interesting video about the speed (and pitch) difference on "Last Plane Out" from the stereo to the 5.1 mix:

BTW, I corrected that issue in Audacity this evening, and it sounds a lot better now, more like the stereo mix when I heard it for the first time!

:)

I did the exact same thing on my FLAC copy of this album, sped the first track up just slightly.

"Things She Said" is an amazing song.

I'm going all the way to 10 on this one, very punchy and surroundy, don't know why the LFE has full range info in it though.

Nice Pop/Rock music also, will return for more listens for sure!
Maybe they forgot to filter the LFE? Your AVR/prosessor will filter out LFE over a given frequency, I've mine set at 100hz.

I'm going all the way to 10 on this one, very punchy and surroundy, don't know why the LFE has full range info in it though.

Nice Pop/Rock music also, will return for more listens for sure!
Your post prompted me to listen to this again last night. I have enjoyed this many times but haven't really intended to do so critically, analytically. Well that didn't happen, again, because I get no further than Turn it on Salvador & I am swept away.

Yes punchy and quite surroundy. But not gaudy like Santana Abraxas. Expansive sound field but precision sound placement. I'm not sure what oddly odd alliance lead to both DTS & DVD-A formats being on the same disc. But it's super easy to switch between the two for evaluation. On my set up I just let the Oppo decode both, analog out into my Anthem pre-pro which has zero EQ or digital trickery on it.
What it is is what you hear. It would be just habit for me to always choose the DVD-A. But this is a great demo disc to show just how very, very good 'ol lossy DTS can be.

Using my Oppo as I said, I get proper .1 LFE on both audio selections. No full range sub woof here.

Like most others I gave it a ten. Such a shame Toy Matine was so short lived. I guess there was a live album after this & then they morphed into Third Matinee that I've never heard. I probably should.

Your post prompted me to listen to this again last night. I have enjoyed this many times but haven't really intended to do so critically, analytically. Well that didn't happen, again, because I get no further than Turn it on Salvador & I am swept away.

Yes punchy and quite surroundy. But not gaudy like Santana Abraxas. Expansive sound field but precision sound placement. I'm not sure what oddly odd alliance lead to both DTS & DVD-A formats being on the same disc. But it's super easy to switch between the two for evaluation. On my set up I just let the Oppo decode both, analog out into my Anthem pre-pro which has zero EQ or digital trickery on it.
What it is is what you hear. It would be just habit for me to always choose the DVD-A. But this is a great demo disc to show just how very, very good 'ol lossy DTS can be.

Using my Oppo as I said, I get proper .1 LFE on both audio selections. No full range sub woof here.

Like most others I gave it a ten. Such a shame Toy Matine was so short lived. I guess there was a live album after this & then they morphed into Third Matinee that I've never heard. I probably should.
Kevin Gilbert is the mastermind behind Toy Matinee. There is a nice selection of stuff that he had done during his short time here on earth over at kevingilbert.com . A real fun listen is his live cover of The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway album. The Casey Kasem opening is so funny.

Such a shame Toy Matine was so short lived. I guess there was a live album after this & then they morphed into Third Matinee that I've never heard. I probably should.
Kevin Gilbert is the mastermind behind Toy Matinee.
Well, yes and no. Toy Matinee was a band project conceived by noted producer Patrick "Pat" Leonard, who was coming off a series of massive successes with Madonna. He saw Kevin with his band Giraffe perform at and win the 1988 Yamaha Soundcheck Competition in Los Angeles, and approached him afterward to both play on sessions for Madonna and work with him on the Toy Matinee project. Kevin contributed a good deal to the musical and lyrical content of the album, and while I do consider it to be part of his output canon, it was really a band effort helmed by Pat.

Unfortunately, after the album was released, Pat wasn't interested in live gigs or touring. The other players were busy with session work. Meanwhile, Kevin was hoping to use the album as a springboard toward greater success as a singer-songwriter and musician. So, he ended up convening different groups of musicians to perform live as "Toy Matinee" both on radio shows and at venues in LA. One of those musicians was his then-girlfriend, Sheryl Crow, before she was famous... But that's another story.

Later, Pat wanted to do another band project in the same vein as Toy Matinee, and recruited Richard Page (ex-Mr. Mister) to fill what had been Kevin's role, calling it "Third Matinee." Page is a great singer, and I like the album, but it's definitely missing that "lightning in a bottle" magic from Kevin and the rest of the original Toy Matinee band.

As for the rest of Kevin Gilbert's output, I highly recommend it. A singular talent and artistic voice gone way too soon.

Well, yes and no. Toy Matinee was a band project conceived by noted producer Patrick "Pat" Leonard, who was coming off a series of massive successes with Madonna. He saw Kevin with his band Giraffe perform at and win the 1988 Yamaha Soundcheck Competition in Los Angeles, and approached him afterward to both play on sessions for Madonna and work with him on the Toy Matinee project. Kevin contributed a good deal to the musical and lyrical content of the album, and while I do consider it to be part of his output canon, it was really a band effort helmed by Pat.

Unfortunately, after the album was released, Pat wasn't interested in live gigs or touring. The other players were busy with session work. Meanwhile, Kevin was hoping to use the album as a springboard toward greater success as a singer-songwriter and musician. So, he ended up convening different groups of musicians to perform live as "Toy Matinee" both on radio shows and at venues in LA. One of those musicians was his then-girlfriend, Sheryl Crow, before she was famous... But that's another story.

Later, Pat wanted to do another band project in the same vein as Toy Matinee, and recruited Richard Page (ex-Mr. Mister) to fill what had been Kevin's role, calling it "Third Matinee." Page is a great singer, and I like the album, but it's definitely missing that "lightning in a bottle" magic from Kevin and the rest of the original Toy Matinee band.

As for the rest of Kevin Gilbert's output, I highly recommend it. A singular talent and artistic voice gone way too soon.
Yeah, and let's not talk about that girlfriend any more than we need to. That whole thing sucked. I hated her for a long time. I knew a bit about Pat, but just looked at his Wiki page was blown away. Him and Kevin should have been a perfect duo with both of them loving prog and both being so talented with great pop sensibilities. There could have been more great music, if if if...

Back