Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found Ammonia Avenue bright, to be sure. But it didn't bother me as much as YOTC does. The latter just grates on the ear.
I wonder if most of these varied opinions have to do with the studio monitors used to master titles vs. the speakers in one’s system. I recall ES saying that he used a certain brutally revealing Yamaha speaker as a monitor because if it sounded good on his monitors, it would sound good on anyone’s system.

the Doobie Bros. Quadio which it literally pains me to say is so bright it's pretty much unlistenable for me.
I have very old ears, believe me, but I am pleased to see Steelydave has confirmed this issue of the brightness (Edge - Harsh). I keep listening to the Doobie Bros Quadio discs, and keep feeling that there is almost a mastering issue with the top end. Year of the Cat track in DTS also has moments of brightness but I have no reference to the original sound and wondered if this is the same as the original stereo vinyl?

Year of the Cat track in DTS also has moments of brightness but I have no reference to the original sound and wondered if this is the same as the original stereo vinyl?
Like I've said, it was always a bright album from the get go. That's probably why it was demo material in many audio showrooms (especially the MOFI LP release). It stood out against the typical muddyness that affected many 70's rock albums (have you ever heard a truly good Stones album? Who album? Zep album? I haven't). The brightness probably extends down into the upper midrange as well, giving the overall presentation a good deal of added presence. It helped that the material is superb and the title track was a runaway major hit as well.

The major difference between the original LP and this release is you could really crank the LP without hearing all that harshness. When you crank the DVD, it gets ugly pretty fast. Maybe its due to the limitations involved with LP playback or manufacture?

No, but I ordered mine from ImportCD and it's been stuck in St Louis since April 3.

Mine arrived yesterday from Deep Discount and ALL the discs were scrambled into a pile instead of in their respective slots! Not Deep Discount's fault but rather the flimsy poor excuse for disc holders. The exterior box was in perfect condition!

Mine arrived yesterday from Deep Discount and ALL the discs were scrambled into a pile instead of in their respective slots! Not Deep Discount's fault but rather the flimsy poor excuse for disc holders. The exterior box was in perfect condition!
Any scratched discs included in your scramble?

Same here Ralphie...pity that quality control didn't think about securing the actual items that we wish to listen to, effectively.

IMO, Alan Parson's remix of YEAR OF THE CAT deserves a PROPER high Resolution transfer. Perhaps emails to Esoteric will convince them that Time Passages remix deserves similar consideration.

While we ALL applaud Esoteric's efforts in bringing these discs to market ...... isn't it time to release them in the HIGHEST RESOLUTION possible????????

Yep......the DVD~V STEREO 96/24 portion of the disc skips ........ the 5.1 is fine, though. Too lazy to pack it up and hassle with Deep Discount. Doubtful that Esoteric will issue replacements! REAL BUMMER!
Just rechecked mine....3 have superficial marks. None of which impair playback. Even so, paid enough for this release to believe it would be new, as in new, not buggered up!!
Think an email to Cherry Red is required.

Yep......the DVD~V STEREO 96/24 portion of the disc skips ........ the 5.1 is fine, though. Too lazy to pack it up and hassle with Deep Discount. Doubtful that Esoteric will issue replacements! REAL BUMMER!

Might be worth trying to suck the bits into your computer. Sometimes discs that have trouble playing in real time can be saved that way.

Just rechecked mine....3 have superficial marks. None of which impair playback. Even so, paid enough for this release to believe it would be new, as in new, not buggered up!!
Think an email to Cherry Red is required.

I had the same issue with be~bop deluxe's DRASTIC PLASTIC boxset, Mike. Scrambled discs but at least they weren't 'damaged' like YOTC. My remedy is to enclose all the discs in those Japanese poly inserts which protect the discs and thus fit MORE securely in those flimsy disc holders.

I had the same issue with be~bop deluxe's DRASTIC PLASTIC boxset, Mike. Scrambled discs but at least they weren't 'damaged' like YOTC. My remedy is to enclose all the discs in those Japanese poly inserts which protect the discs and thus fit MORE securely in those flimsy disc holders.
Presume the extra handling , over the pond, is not helping matters.. my Drastic Plastic was fine, Ralphie.

Same here Ralphie...pity that quality control didn't think about securing the actual items that we wish to listen to, effectively.

You should ask for a replacement Ralph. Knowing your keen ear, you will probably prefer the lossless stereo version and that layer on your disc is ruined because of their lousy packing. My discs also had dislodged from the packaging, but no noticeable or audible damage.

Back