What's your latest earworm???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah they had loads of hits in Canada, I meant more underrated in a legacy sense given just how many of them there were. Perhaps it's because they didn't have a "classic" lineup that continued to tour year after year like, say Aerosmith, or that they didn't do a big reunion tour like the Guess Who did in the early '00s, I dunno. I just feel like given the depth of their catalog, and their hits, that they should enjoy a higher profile.

Oh, and Say Hello is a fantastic song! I think one of the things I like about April Wine is that their sound continued to evolve, and very quickly too, a lot like Rush did between the late '70s and early '80s, embracing new styles and production techniques. Weeping Widow, I Like to Rock, Sign of the Gypsy Queen, Say Hello, all very different from each other, but each is incredibly catchy in its own right.
Don't know the details of the band's progression throughout the years as far as touring goes, like how much did they tour in the US? I kind of like a late studio album of theirs as well from 2006, Roughly Speaking. Real bluesy, with a great cover of Willie's Night Life. Short record though.

Yeah they had loads of hits in Canada, I meant more underrated in a legacy sense given just how many of them there were. Perhaps it's because they didn't have a "classic" lineup that continued to tour year after year like, say Aerosmith, or that they didn't do a big reunion tour like the Guess Who did in the early '00s, I dunno. I just feel like given the depth of their catalog, and their hits, that they should enjoy a higher profile.

Oh, and Say Hello is a fantastic song! I think one of the things I like about April Wine is that their sound continued to evolve, and very quickly too, a lot like Rush did between the late '70s and early '80s, embracing new styles and production techniques. Weeping Widow, I Like to Rock, Sign of the Gypsy Queen, Say Hello, all very different from each other, but each is incredibly catchy in its own right.
Worse yet, as much as I loved the way they sounded back then....I never got a chance to see them live. I have to assume, they would have been amazing live.

I
Worse yet, as much as I loved the way they sounded back then....I never got a chance to see them live. I have to assume, they would have been amazing live.

Saw them live at The Civic Auditorium in Grand Rapids, Mi. 5000 seat arena. About 3500 in attendance. Was the First Glance tour. An extraordinary concert ( they were young and hungry and trying to prove themselves in the US ). Total rock. The drummer was a wild animal on the skins. Was one of those concerts where you dont know much about the band, youre not expecting too much ---and they proceed to blow your mind. Good times

I'll put in my 2¢..

Don't know why this tune popped into my head about a week ago. I have the LP I bought in '87 when I heard it on MTV and haven't listened to it in years or heard this song in as long.

(Ace) Frehley's Comet "Into The Night"

I know it doesn't make up for it, but there's a great live concert filmed in London (UK, not Ontario) on their 1981 tour available on YouTube:

Old, but newly discovered by me, this 1982 R&B jam by Michael Wycoff, sort of in the Luther Vandross mould:

and then from the new new, Bootsy Collins showing that he might be the only P-Funker that still matters

and newest of all, the first track from Gaspard Auge, one half of French electronic duo Justice, from his upcoming solo LP, which seems to be very much in the Daft Punk mode:

Toto's latest "single", if there is still such a thing, is a remake of its own "Till The End". Steve Lukather and Joseph Williams are the only members left from the original 1986 version. RIP Jeff Porcaro and Mike Porcaro. Founding members David Paich and Steve Porcaro are no longer involved with Toto.

Oh, and the new version has no Paula Abdul either.

Nonetheless, it's a great, if overlooked, song from Toto's catalog.

Back