Joni Mitchell?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't found any clues. But in the search, I was led to this fascinating interview with A&M engineer Steve Katz, who worked on Hejira, Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, and Mingus.
https://jonimitchell.com/library/view.cfm?id=4622

OMG, my daughter was married at the Henson Studios. I know exactly where Blue was recorded! I was there all weekend and had no clue. Thank you for this post!!!

The discrete quad is very, very nice.

It is a good mix, but in my mind they should have taken all of Joni's harmony vocals on "Raised on Robbery" and spread them around the 4 channels (like "Seven Bridges Road" on "Hell Freezes Over") Even when I first played that CD4 back in the 70's, that was what I was expecting from that song in quad but alas, all of the Joni's are mixed into a single vocal track. She probably wanted it that way, so who the F am I to complain, but I thought that would be a killer way to demo quad to folks.

It is a good mix, but in my mind they should have taken all of Joni's harmony vocals on "Raised on Robbery" and spread them around the 4 channels (like "Seven Bridges Road" on "Hell Freezes Over") Even when I first played that CD4 back in the 70's, that was what I was expecting from that song in quad but alas, all of the Joni's are mixed into a single vocal track. She probably wanted it that way, so who the F am I to complain, but I thought that would be a killer way to demo quad to folks.

Yes it would be a killer. Still, it would thrill me no end if someone reissued the quad so that we could all critique the mix.

Available June 25th from AmazonUS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091WCGFMJ/?tag=thesecdis-20
A tough call for me. I have her first three [remastered] albums in HDCD [which boasts 20 bit resolution] and I just purchased the Warner/Reprise Japanese MQA encoded UHQ~CD of Blue which sounds SENSATIONAL!

81gaTE5ITHS._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Just a note for those considering from whom to order this new set. I ordered her "Archives" set directly from her store (sent Oct. 27), and it arrived in (rural) Australia two weeks later (Nov. 11, sent from near LA, if I recall). I mention this because I got mine while others in the US were still waiting on other places to confirm shipment, or even worse, there was a failure to fulfil the order.

Other than Court and Hissing... What else would be in the box?

Blue has a 4.0 remix and it was rumored [but NOT confirmed] that Ladies of the Canyon was likewise remixed for QUAD. And wouldn't it be nice to have Joni's phenomenol LIVE album MILES OF AISLES with backing from the LA Express in stereo on a LOSSLESS BD~A, as well?

Last edited:
Back