Primus - Sailing The Seas Of Cheese to be released in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to see how I respond to the Chocolate, if it's that challenging. At least I won't have to overcome familiarity with the originals, since I never saw the movie.
This wouldn't be a problem, even if you did see the movie. And how did you never see the Gene Wilder movie version? Its like the Wizard of Oz, a rite of passage.

This wouldn't be a problem, even if you did see the movie. And how did you never see the Gene Wilder movie version? Its like the Wizard of Oz, a rite of passage.

It seemed to be a problem for some of the reviews I read- hard to accept the album versions when compared to the originals. And I don't think you can compare Chocolate factory with Oz unless it's been rumored to be synced with a Floyd album... 😆 But seriously, I loved Oz as a kid; I don't watch kiddie-movies as an adult- unless I'm watching with a kid- and I always saw WW as a kiddie movie. I also got kinda burnt out on Gene Wilder.

So, had my first listen to Chocolate Factory and found that another reference surround mix and really enjoyed the experience. I'm starting to form some opinions on the band and esp. it's leader. I'd like to run them by more experienced fans of the band...

I get a sense of satire, irony, subversion, derision, disillusionment, etc. It appears that they (or Les) like to look below the superficial surface and expose the insanity underneath the delusions. They like to poke fun, but it's not everything's a joke so much as the commonly accepted realities are so far from the truth- often the opposite of it- that they are laughable if you're willing to look.

Kinda makes sense that a bassist would want to look down below right?

Or am I reading too much into this? Or even if this might be somewhat accurate, it doesn't represent their output- just some/most of these two albums? Seems like a band that embraces "we suck" could indicate a sardonic attitude.

Hope to hear from some experienced Primus fans.

I don't want to color your opinion but I'm inclined to think you are pretty spot on.
If you are digging Primus, there are some tasty side roads that Les has taken along the way.
I really dig Les Claypool's Due De Twang - Four Foot Shack
On the 2 Live Frog Sets from Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade you get to watch him play music from bands he digs.
I have not been able to get into The Claypool Lennon Delirium; although not for lack of trying.

And of course Miscellaneous Debris is a Primus cover album and they crush Making Plans For Nigel

crap, guess I'm a Claypool fanboy... it all started with Tommy the Cat in 1990.

Thanks for the info. I currently have Punchbowl and antipop on the way from previous suggestions, but I will return to yours later. The live frog sets sound interesting; covers of KC and Floyd!

Seems like there's a wealth of Claypool output to investigate. Will see what I can see...

Thanks for the info. I currently have Punchbowl and antipop on the way from previous suggestions, but I will return to yours later. The live frog sets sound interesting; covers of KC and Floyd!

Seems like there's a wealth of Claypool output to investigate. Will see what I can see...

Live Frogs are awesome...
Oysterhead is outstanding too.

Aye, saw Rob pulling double duty at a Sucidal Tendencies / Infectious Grooves show .. he and Mike were killing it with both sets.

Awesome. One of the best shows I saw was Jane's Addiction with Suicidal opening. Funny that they passed out flyers before the show saying NO SLAM DANCING! This was in St. Petersburg FL. Dinosaur Jr was supposed to open but that was a damn good replacement!

Thanks to the folks on this thread for pointing out the authoring error on the EU discs, and for those who have put ideas out there for how to improve the experience a bit. I looked at the files from my preordered copy that I never listened to and it appears that I have the EU version. I'll apply the fixes mentioned previously in the thread and get on the lookout for a fixed copy.

Back