Ripping Sting - [SACD and DVD-A] & DTS CD too

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How were people able to get this DVD-Audio ripped into digital files? This is the one disc that I have been completely unable to do so.

How were people able to get this DVD-Audio ripped into digital files? This is the one disc that I have been completely unable to do so.

Apparently, there is a proper DVD-A version as well as a DTS-CD version marketed as DVD-A. I've got the latter and had problems ripping it; I managed to get a few tracks to rip properly but it's annoying that I can't get the whole thing to rip. If you've been having difficulties yourself then I suspect you've got the DVD-CD version as well.

Yeah, I guess you could call this one ā€œThe Sumner Surpriseā€ LOL
The dts CD nearly drove me to lithium to try ripping. I gave up and found the DVD-A to buy, I believe itā€™s this one, see the photos on discogs-

https://www.discogs.com/Sting-Brand-New-Day/release/3178040

Yeah, I guess you could call this one ā€œThe Sumner Surpriseā€ LOL
The dts CD nearly drove me to lithium to try ripping. I gave up and found the DVD-A to buy, I believe itā€™s this one, see the photos on discogs-

https://www.discogs.com/Sting-Brand-New-Day/release/3178040
hmm I will try to rip the DTS CD to see..but I have had no problems...but then I am a MAC guy (can I show off? ..lol), no really, windoze drives me freaking INSANE...I use XLD which is a VERY useful program..it rips CDs, converts ALL kinds of formats -the only one it donĀ“t is from mp4 to WAV, which is weird- but the last thing I found about it is that i converts those pesky .shm files to mp4...

I would imagine the DTS CD is lossy and not the same resolution as the DVD-A, which I am 99% sure I have.

I would imagine the DTS CD is lossy and not the same resolution as the DVD-A, which I am 99% sure I have.
well, the DVD-A is actually 48/24 and the DTS CD is 44/16 so the biggest difference is the 24 bit resolution on the DVD-A...personally the 24 bit IS a big difference and improvement in sound, especially on the low frequencies, but still, if you have a good system-which we ALL do- we probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference, at least not right away...

If I remember correctly, been a long time since I ripped a DTS, you rip with DVDAE but you have to add the Foobar add on for DTS. I think when you have DVDAE open, there is a section where you can add add ons, or maybe they are called plug ins, I forget, I can't remember if you have to pay a little for the Foobar add on?

If I remember correctly, been a long time since I ripped a DTS, you rip with DVDAE but you have to add the Foobar add on for DTS. I think when you have DVDAE open, there is a section where you can add add ons, or maybe they are called plug ins, I forget, I can't remember if you have to pay a little for the Foobar add on?
That's for DVD-Vs with DTS. @Pitscher is asking about DTS-CDs. To rip those, simply use any lossless codec (WAV, AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, etc.) to preserve the embedded DTS encoding. Play back using any system equipped with a DTS decoder and you'll get surround output. If you want to convert stereo-embedded DTS to standard DTS or multichannel PCM files, I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't personally tried to do it. Google is your friend.

All of this discussion should be moved to a new thread. Poll threads are for explaining votes only.

Last edited:
Back