Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I wonder if there shouldn't be a separate thread about ripping ATMOS or something.
My thoughts exactly for the past 5 minutes as I waded through multiple pages looking for a simple list of what is available and what is coming out in Bluray Atmos. would be nice.:D

Thanks, some items to research, I don't care too much for the Lichtmonds and they have some sister bands, after spinning Ludwig Van in Atmos Pure Audio I am petrified by the lack of immersion from the surrounds, so classical is also problematic, few offerings and those that are there not always match my tastes.

I did bite the bullet and ordered:
A1ub%2B%2B4kPkL._SX425_.jpg

710Ir2Gfk5L._SL1200_.jpg

Have the 5.1, this is an expensive upgrade for the I Talk To The Wind ballad.
R-10651102-1564233998-8683.jpeg.jpg

images

61HowNUl0uL._SX466_.jpg

Yep, that was the key for me here, maybe my naming thru you off.
I guess the official name is Dolby Access Package.
After I installed it and followed the setup from the below site I'm finally getting my Marantz to lightup with Atmos, Yipeeee

Now if I could only get things going in Linux, that's where I live.

The Dolby Access app is not required to play Atmos files (MKV, MP4, M2TS) or Blu Ray discs (the physical disc or a rip) in Windows 10 using media players (example VLC). I just bought a new Windows notebook, and I'm able to send a TrueHD/Atmos or Dolby Digital+/Atmos to the receiver without installing any additional software Even the players that come with Windows ( Windows media player, Movies & TV) are able to send the bitstream -- the player does not need to recognize that the bitstream contains Atmos, it just needs to recognize that it's a TrueHD or DolbyDigital+ and be able to send the bitstream. If you look at the codec info in the VLC screenshot below, you don't see Atmos -- it just says TrueHD.

The Netflix app on Windows 10 works a little different -- Dolby Digital+/Atmos will only be bitstreamed if I select the "Atmos for Home Theater" audio/speaker setup in Windows, and this option is only available if the Dolby Access app is installed.

vlc_truehd.jpg

The Dolby Access app is not required to play Atmos files (MKV, MP4, M2TS) or Blu Ray discs (the physical disc or a rip) in Windows 10 using media players (example VLC).
You may be right but it never worked for me till I added it? But then I worked, changed, and struggled with so much I can't say for sure if it was the chicken or the egg? Just happy to have the damn thing running, more so in my PCLinuxOS desktop, that's where I spend 95% of my computer time. I'd be ever happier if I never had to boot into Windoz again. :LB

I'd be ever happier if I never had to boot into Windoz again. :LB

That's what I used to think when I moved to the Macintosh in 2006. Sadly, Apple never kept up with the OpenGL drivers (so gaming wasn't as good as in Windows even disregarding most games being optimized for DirectX) and now they're moving away from Intel which probably means less software compatibility between the two systems (i.e. I had NO trouble finding 95% of any programs I wanted to use for the Mac other than games over the past 15 years). But lately I've found some conversion utilities for Windows only (e.g. To convert SACD to FLAC). There's one for the Mac, but it isn't free. Some Mac programs are already dumping the version of macOS I'm using (which is the last version to support 32-bit applications; moving to a newer OS kills 32-bit apps of which I'm still using a few including Photoshop CS3 (new Photoshop version is subscribe only). If Windows has done one thing well it's maintain compatibility with older software (especially games). That causes some issues too and their updates SUCK anymore (bricked more than a few PCs from what I've read) plus now they advertise in the OS? Ick.

But Linux has a lack of commercial software (worse than the Mac even) so there's no perfect options for everything.

But Linux has a lack of commercial software (worse than the Mac even) so there's no perfect options for everything.
True, specially if you game, which is not my thing at all.
I only need Win for a couple things, the main being Quicken financial software.
But every time I boot in, it takes forever because of some update or another.
No perfect OS or anything else for that matter. LOL

I ended up having to cancel that Kraftwerk 3-D box set. It never showed up in 2.5 months and the sellers explanation sounded questionable (Sitting at what appears to be a US hub and UPS sends it back to England instead?) I put in for an Amazon refund and it was granted. The hell on it.

I had to go to USPS to pick up the Gordian Knot because they wanted a signature...ridiculous. I cannot comprehend why there's no way to turn down the signature nonsense. I've purchased several discs from jpc.de and suddenly this one needs a signature? My mailman told me they don't have to honor foreign requests for signatures, but some carriers are zealots. All I know is it's a royal PITA for some stupid Bluray they could just put in the damn mailbox! Why do companies have more rights than consumers? I've got a digital signature for USPS, but that's no good for this they said. WTF is the point of it, then??? Unbelievable.

Anyway, hopefully I can check it out tonight.

I ended up having to cancel that Kraftwerk 3-D box set. It never showed up in 2.5 months and the sellers explanation sounded questionable (Sitting at what appears to be a US hub and UPS sends it back to England instead?) I put in for an Amazon refund and it was granted. The hell on it.

I had to go to USPS to pick up the Gordian Knot because they wanted a signature...ridiculous. I cannot comprehend why there's no way to turn down the signature nonsense. I've purchased several discs from jpc.de and suddenly this one needs a signature? My mailman told me they don't have to honor foreign requests for signatures, but some carriers are zealots. All I know is it's a royal PITA for some stupid Bluray they could just put in the damn mailbox! Why do companies have more rights than consumers? I've got a digital signature for USPS, but that's no good for this they said. WTF is the point of it, then??? Unbelievable.

Anyway, hopefully I can check it out tonight.
I feel your disappointment. My 3D Kraftwerk box set arrived this week 3 months later from Germany, I purchased one 6 weeks ago from another, good news the Germany one I already sold.

I feel your disappointment. My 3D Kraftwerk box set arrived this week 3 months later from Germany, I purchased one 6 weeks ago from another, good news the Germany one I already sold.

I just ordered a used-like new (still sealed) one from a place in the US. It costs $35 more, though so I'm not crazy about it, but at least it might actually show up.

I had to go to USPS to pick up the Gordian Knot because they wanted a signature...ridiculous. I cannot comprehend why there's no way to turn down the signature nonsense.
Are you signed up for USPS Informed Delivery?
https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.actionWhen I have a package coming I get a email saying it is "signature required" but I can then log in and sign for it ahead of time and tell them even where to leave the package.

Are you signed up for USPS Informed Delivery?
https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/pages/intro/start.actionWhen I have a package coming I get a email saying it is "signature required" but I can then log in and sign for it ahead of time and tell them even where to leave the package.

Yes, I am. But this one gave no indication it was even coming (never showed up on the informed delivery emails) and also the digital signature waive isn't good for certain package types that require it (at least the last time I checked) including Express and I believe foreign packages fall under that. The odd thing is I've gotten discs from jpc.de before and they didn't need signatures. I've run into that before with prop and lighter collecting. I bought a half dozen lighters from the same seller in Japan and twice they claimed they needed a signature and the rest of the time they just showed up in my mailbox. I've gotten signature required notices from UPS before and I just find them on my porch. So it's hard to tell.

Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band - The Gordian Knot.... Pure Audio Blu-Ray

5.1 DTS-HD MA 24/48
2.0 PCM Stereo 24/96
11.1 Auro-3D (7.1+4) 24/48
Dolby Atmos
mShuttle 3D Binaural FLAC
plus Bonus Videos and CD Album included....

Hmmm, 11.1 (7.1+4) Auro-3D. That's one I don't understand why Auro's decoder didn't support that mode on 11.1 AVRs. Rear Surrounds + 4 overheads. That would make total sense for a 11.1 AVR. But no. no. NO. They only support 5.1 + 5 overheads (VOG) maximum. Rear surround only in Auro-2D mode. That makes absolutely no sense. Oh well.

I'm sorting it all out now and apparently I've got more than a few versions to listen to and compare.

Edit:

Interestingly, the FLAC and Binaural files (they are separate entities; the FLAC files are the hires 2.0 stereo audio and Binaural is for headphone listening) are stored on the disc in a data folder that you can simply copy through the regular filesystem on a computer (Apparently, they're meant to be accessed with the address of a Network connected Blu-Ray player from a Web Browser, but you can just copy them as files from a computer BD drive without having to Rip/Dump like the primary Atmos/Auro/DTS content.

--

I've also now got Alan Parsons - Eye In The Sky coming on Blu-Ray (no Atmos version, though, just 5.1 and 2.0)

Last edited:
Have been on the fence for this,but broke down and ordered the last one in stock from jpc.de.€35 shipped. :cool:

Hmmm, 11.1 (7.1+4) Auro-3D. That's one I don't understand why Auro's decoder didn't support that mode on 11.1 AVRs. Rear Surrounds + 4 overheads. That would make total sense for a 11.1 AVR. But no. no. NO. They only support 5.1 + 5 overheads (VOG) maximum. Rear surround only in Auro-2D mode. That makes absolutely no sense. Oh well.

I remember previous AVR Auro decoders were only 5.1 + 4, when Auro marketing said something like the CH and VOG are optional and not needed for small to medium rooms (?). Only necessary for large rooms (?? Please, define large room?)

Then, at the time I purchased the 8500, there was an upgraded Auro decoder that already used the rear surrounds (7.1) and also CH,VOG. So Auro-Matic could upmix to 13.1 because many (well many among the Auro-3D small offer) native Auro-3D were only 9.1. Auro native with more channels, up to 13.1 if any, could then be played without Auro-matic. (Although no distinction in AVR Sound Option from Auro-3D native or upmixed Auromatic).

With respect to The Gordian Knot, I have listened much more in Atmos, because I was testing with my new Wides, 9.1.4, and had enough use of them and enough immersion and great wide sound stage.

But with Auro-3D I tested less, and feel like I like it less. As if the original mix was properly done for Atmos and was only "transferred" or "converted" to Auro-3D. Or perhaps is because the lack of Wides, that I feel good sonics but less immersion with Auro-3D

I wait for your comparison and review comments of this album :)

(Apparently, they're meant to be accessed with the address of a Network connected Blu-Ray player from a Web Browser, but you can just copy them as files from a computer BD drive without having to Rip/Dump like the primary Atmos/Auro/DTS content.
Interesting, I'll have to take a second look at mine.
I only have a conventional 5.2.4 Atmos speaker layout so can't really comment on the Atmos vs Auro files.

Back