ELP Fanfare Box Set (With 5.1 Surround Mixes on Blu-Ray) Coming Soon!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Order placed...

Don't care , but, to an ELP fan like me, the price is quite good for all the goodies it has...and having the 5.1 mixes in BLURAY- heck yes...

As for WBMFTTSTNE, I have never been a fan of the sound of the release , and I think a Quad release would be disappointing up to a point...(hey, it'd be great if it happened!)..the performances are great , although, the one in Mar y Sol is the MOST "spirited" one I've heard so far--

Only thing missing is video content...but , ahh, what the hell...
Hey Kap!!!! How does the Blu Ray sound compared to the DVD-A’s?

It is the same. I had both releases, and now I just have the 2014 mix.
But just because DVD-A and SACD are different formats, wouldn’t it seem that there are audible differences? Forget about charts & graphs, to me they couldn’t/wouldn’t sound exactly the same....that’s why I like the 2008 better. Yet I can’t have an opinion of the 2014 Jakko mix as I’ve never heard it.

But just because DVD-A and SACD are different formats, wouldn’t it seem that there are audible differences? Forget about charts & graphs, to me they couldn’t/wouldn’t sound exactly the same....that’s why I like the 2008 better. Yet I can’t have an opinion of the 2014 Jakko mix as I’ve never heard it.

It's definitely the same mix, even though the mastering might be a little different.

Sounds different to my ears...hmmm:unsure:

There is a very slight EQ difference. The mix itself is the same.

(beyond that, the LFE is a wildcard because there's no enforced standard for low pass cutoff. It's been a long time since I compared these two releases analytically and I don't recall whether LFE lowpass is a factor)

Last edited:
While we are talking about BSS oddities:
• Original BSS DVD-A has the 5.1 mix of the album done by Klingberg & Kellogg
• Original BSS DVD-A has no hi-res stereo content
• 2008 Universal BSS SACD also has the 5.1 mix of the album done by Klingberg & Kellogg
• 2008 Universal BSS SACD has hi-res stereo content and it's different than the 5.1 mix (e.g. compare the versions of "Still...")

The original Rhino BSS DVDA ('from the year 2000') has no separate stereo content at all ... there is a Dolby downmix that is programmed into the Dolby 5.1 mix. This downmix was actually mistakenly released on CD by Sanctuary (or was it Castle?) at one point in the 2000's.

The 2008 hi rez stereo is (IIRC) simply the original 1973 mix, remastered yet again.

Speaking of that original mix, one thing that happened once BSS started getting rereleased/remastered/remixed in the CD era, is that various alternate mixes and vocal takes popped up. A lot of these became bonus tracks on the SACD and Jakko DVD set.

For example, AFAIR, neither 5.1 mix (nor Jakko's 2 channel remix) used exactly the same vocal take on 'Jerusalem' as the original stereo mix did, (compare the phrase 'and was the holy lamb of God') . Possibly this means that the original vocal of that line was a punch-in added very late in the LP production process...never committed to tape separately.

Last edited:
Mine too. Maybe that's what they label the status as for all pre-orders? My credit card charge is pending status, so they shouldn't run the charge through until they send the box out, I would think.

Back