New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Complicated answer

Pre COVID19 it was say 10 days, right now I would allow up to a month. Only problem is I think we are either out of stock or very close to. I know our distributor in USA has some and he should be able to get you a unit within 2 weeks depending on the cold weather there!

Regards

Chucky
Thanks

Hi all,

Just a basic question about the V2. I have an old school setup with just an amp (Dynaco 410), receiver (Kenwood C1 Basic) and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC turntable, and a set of EV speakers. I have many Quad LPs, mostly SQ and CD-4. I just want a good decoder to listen to them on my setup and hear all or most of the content from these records on my 2 speakers. Someday I may try 4 speakers. So will the SM v2 work for me? Thanks!

Hi all,

Just a basic question about the V2. I have an old school setup with just an amp (Dynaco 410), receiver (Kenwood C1 Basic) and a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC turntable, and a set of EV speakers. I have many Quad LPs, mostly SQ and CD-4. I just want a good decoder to listen to them on my setup and hear all or most of the content from these records on my 2 speakers. Someday I may try 4 speakers. So will the SM v2 work for me? Thanks!
If you have never heard SQ with good decoder you will be very pleased with the SQ decoding It is as good as it gets The Involve (QS) decoding will bring out a new sound with Stereo
I have been using QS to play all my Stereo discs for 40 years
But it is not for CD4 playback you will need a CD4 demodulator for that
But of course you can play CD4 in Involve as you would play a stereo disc
Good luck
Yes you will need 2 more speakers to get the best sound

Last edited:
Hi all,

If all you want to do is hear all or most of the content of these quad records on your 2 speakers then you are already doing it. When you are ready to advance to 4 or more surround sound channels do consider the Surround Master.

If you have never heard SQ with good decoder you will be very pleased with the SQ decoding It is as good as it gets The Involve (QS) decoding will bring out a new sound with Stereo
I have been using QS to play all my Stereo discs for 40 years
But it is not for CD4 playback you will need a CD4 demodulator for that
But of course you can play CD4 in Involve as you would play a stereo disc
Good luck
Yes you will need 2 more speakers to get the best sound

Thanks that’s very helpful. I currently run my SQ records thru an additional receiver with Dolby to “fake it”, so adding the SM will sound better and be an upgrade. While not real quad it sounds like I’ll notice an appreciation-able difference.

One additional question...I have an old regular Sony reel to reel. Will the SM v2 decode quad reels without a quad reel deck?

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks that’s very helpful. I currently run my SQ records thru an additional receiver with Dolby to “fake it”, so adding the SM will sound better and be an upgrade. While not real quad it sounds like I’ll notice an appreciation-able difference.

One additional question...I have an old regular Sony reel to reel. Will the SM v2 decode quad reels without a quad reel deck?

Thanks again for the help.
Quad reel to reel tapes do not need decoding in the SM because it is discrete quad, nothing to decode. The tape is simply 4 chs output. The SM is analog 2ch in, analog 4.1 or 5.1 out. You need analog 4ch input for tape such as on a quad receiver or two stereo amps will do.

Edit: As I re-read your post I see you have old regular Sony R2R, and by that \I assume you mean stereo. I should metion that it will not play back quad reels in any way, shape or form that is usable.

Last edited:
Quad reel to reel tapes do not need decoding in the SM because it is discrete quad, nothing to decode. The tape is simply 4 chs output. The SM is analog 2ch in, analog 4.1 or 5.1 out. You need analog 4ch input for tape such as on a quad receiver or two stereo amps will do.

Thanks again all!

Hi all,

Yes, the Surround Master can really deliver the goods with SQ and QS. If you have at least 4 channels of amplification, and at least 4 sonically similar speakers, you'll be fine. I've had my SM for nearly a year, and it qualifies as the best purchase I ever made for my system. In addition to the best SQ and QS decoding available today, its ability to create surround from stereo sources is unmatched.

Last edited:
Order placed with Chucky special! Thanks for all the info guys. Now I just need to figure out how to setup 4 speakers with (hopefully) my available “inventory”. Isn’t that part of the fun?

Chucky, do you know shipping timeline now in the states?

Order placed with Chucky special! Thanks for all the info guys. Now I just need to figure out how to setup 4 speakers with (hopefully) my available “inventory”. Isn’t that part of the fun?

Hi
It should be real quick as our only stock of the SM left is in USA, so a week or so......

If you only a Dynaco 410 power amp (which is a very cool model) you will need to get two more chs of amplification. It would be best to get some sort of level/balance control to go between the SM & power amps.

The SM does have a bonus mode that you might like. It's called Two Speaker Surround & on 8 out 10 test monkeys (per Chucky) produces a simulated surround effect from only two speakers.

If you only a Dynaco 410 power amp (which is a very cool model) you will need to get two more chs of amplification. It would be best to get some sort of level/balance control to go between the SM & power amps.

The SM does have a bonus mode that you might like. It's called Two Speaker Surround & on 8 out 10 test monkeys (per Chucky) produces a simulated surround effect from only two speakers.

Yes reading the online manual. I’ll try TSS first and hope I pass the test. I have a Yamaha RX-V850 that I use for the Dolby and pass through otherwise. The SM will replace it for a 2 speaker setu.

Using the Yamaha, I may be able to also hookup Klipsch KG5.5s as rear speakers (the EV S-1503 3-Ways on front). Thoughts?

Yes reading the online manual. I’ll try TSS first and hope I pass the test. I have a Yamaha RX-V850 that I use for the Dolby and pass through otherwise. The SM will replace it for a 2 speaker setu.

Using the Yamaha, I may be able to also hookup Klipsch KG5.5s as rear speakers (the EV S-1503 3-Ways on front). Thoughts?
Only very good looking people with a high intelligence pass the TSS test. I do and so does Dave the Bitch and my daughter. My ignorant giant sized son Max and tiny wife are failures. As for my business partner Dawson is is both ignorant and ugly and we call him "puddinghead" due to his inability to perceive any 2 speaker virtual surround.

Only very good looking people with a high intelligence pass the TSS test. I do and so does Dave the Bitch and my daughter. My ignorant giant sized son Max and tiny wife are failures. As for my business partner Dawson is is both ignorant and ugly and we call him "puddinghead" due to his inability to perceive any 2 speaker virtual surround.

I’ll let you know. I hope I pass the audition. No pressure.

That Yamaha receiver should have multichannel analog inputs that the SM can use. If so, use them! You'll be glad you did.

This was meant for me. Ordered today, can't wait!

When you get the Blue Eyed Monster, nphxguy, don't hesitate to really crank up the rears on upmixed stereo recordings where necessary. There are recordings where it may seems as if the SM isn't extracting enough material for the rears; but it's there and just needs a little help introducing itself.

Back