King Crimson 1980s Box Set

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been through a tough few months looking hoping I would get paid every month since December only to finally be made redundant via company insolvency in July. So I never got round to getting this box. Thankfully the day I was made redundant I got a job offer do with the extra money the new job has given me I bought this box as a treat. Seemed like the most cost effective way of picking up Beat and Three of a perfect pair.
Blow me down while playing my wife with wine so I could have a catch up session with the box my 'whats that racket your listening too' wife asked me what it was I was listening to as it sounds quite nice. So Eighties King Crimson or at least Three of a perfect pair seems to float my wife's boat.
I am two hours in so far and enjoying every minute two hours and only so far picked highlights from the blu rays.
This may take some time :rolleyes:

I have had the box for the past 2 weeks now and really enjoy it, but I am puzzled. The 3oaPP BD doesn't have a surround mix of Absent Lovers. There is a stereo, but no 5.1 at all. I checked the menu, even tried to toggle the audio of my player but it was nowhere to be found. Am I missing something?

You should have DTS (Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s) and DTS-HD MA (Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit)

I should, but I don't for some reason. The surround mix for the studio album is there, but not Live in Montreal. The song list shows but not the audio choices. I nay have to contact DGM Live unless if I'm overlooking something.

You should have DTS (Audio: dts (DTS), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), fltp, 1536 kb/s) and DTS-HD MA (Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s32p (24 bit)

Most of the Kc mega boxes appear to be going OOP, I think the 80's one is still ok but all the earlier ones are no longer available from burning shed or Amazon,

And we're out of coffee!!! :eek:

I should, but I don't for some reason. The surround mix for the studio album is there, but not Live in Montreal. The song list shows but not the audio choices. I nay have to contact DGM Live unless if I'm overlooking something.

I just checked on my Sony 800X.
It plays only in DTS-HD MA 5.1 48K for me.
No stereo, no LPCM 5.1. despite the track list in the book saying all three are available.
Tried the colored buttons on my remote as well.
The book states pg. 37 the blu ray was authored for "headless playback" defaulting to DTS-MA 5.1.

Most of the Kc mega boxes appear to be going OOP, I think the 80's one is still ok but all the earlier ones are no longer available from burning shed or Amazon

It was reported that all the KC box sets got a limited re-press at the same time they sent ReconstruKCtion of Light off to me manufactured.

Is it possible your box is one of these, and something happened in the authoring?
DGM Live are fairly responsive to polite inquiries.

I looked at your profile, I assume you might have something other than a PS3 to play blu ray by now?

Last edited:
I just checked on my Sony 800X.
It plays only in DTS-HD MA 5.1 48K for me.
No stereo, no LPCM 5.1. despite the track list in the book saying all three are available.
Tried the colored buttons on my remote as well.
The book states pg. 37 the blu ray was authored for "headless playback" defaulting to DTS-MA 5.1.

It was reported that all the KC box sets got a limited re-press at the same time they sent ReconstruKCtion of Light off to me manufactured.

Is it possible your box is one of these, and something happened in the authoring?
DGM Live are fairly responsive to polite inquiries.

I looked at your profile, I assume you might have something other than a PS3 to play blu ray by now?

I still have the PS3 to play my BD's which I planned to run into the ground. If this is the case, then maybe that could be it. But there is NO surround option listed at all for Absent Lovers...just the track listing of Live in Montreal. Again, maybe I am missing something somehow.

That is a good point about this being part of the repressing. This run of the 80s boxes didn't come with the lithographs of the album covers, which is unfortunate but I don't feel as much of a loss as with the earlier album artwork.

And that's too bad about the limited pressings. I'm on the hunt for a copy of A Sailor's Tale like Ahab on Moby Dick, and the cheapest at this moment is over $400 on Ebay.

I still have the PS3 to play my BD's which I planned to run into the ground. If this is the case, then maybe that could be it. But there is NO surround option listed at all for Absent Lovers...just the track listing of Live in Montreal. Again, maybe I am missing something somehow.

I wasn't clear.
Nobody sees a menu with audio options for Absent Lovers.
It defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1 only.
I could not get it to play in stereo on my blu ray player for anything, as no file exists for it.

Therefore your problem is an odd one.
It's like your player is decoding the DTS 5.1 to stereo.

How many folks still play new blu rays on PS3?
Do you have a lot of surround blu rays?
You could buy a new disc spinner for less than the price of one box set. ;)

But I'm not one to talk.
I don't replace automobiles until the wheels fall off. :eek:

I wasn't clear.
Nobody sees a menu with audio options for Absent Lovers.
It defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1 only.
I could not get it to play in stereo on my blu ray player for anything, as no file exists for it.

Therefore your problem is an odd one.
It's like your player is decoding the DTS 5.1 to stereo.

How many folks still play new blu rays on PS3?
Do you have a lot of surround blu rays?
You could buy a new disc spinner for less than the price of one box set. ;)

True. I don't want to buy a simple Blu ray player because I want something that is somewhat specialized. Its either going to be another PS or a universal disc player that covers the different formats, seeing as I am a surround nut like everyone else here. A new amp will come first because it doesn't even have HDMI, which is keeping me from moving on and up (I can't get Disney Plus as a result of this dinosaur setup!).

I agree, it is a very odd problem if it is defaulting to stereo and yours defaults to DTS-HD MA. Is your box a repress or an "original run"?

True. I don't want to buy a simple Blu ray player because I want something that is somewhat specialized. Its either going to be another PS or a universal disc player that covers the different formats, seeing as I am a surround nut like everyone else here. A new amp will come first because it doesn't even have HDMI, which is keeping me from moving on and up (I can't get Disney Plus as a result of this dinosaur setup!).

I agree, it is a very odd problem if it is defaulting to stereo and yours defaults to DTS-HD MA. Is your box a repress or an "original run"?

Bought it last year from importcds at a good price, could be a second run.
No idea how to check.

Back