Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a chance and ordered this OOP CD/DVD~V DTS 5.1 disc from an AmazonUK vendor thinking it might only be the CD. Arrived today and lo & behold, the DVD/CD version. Exquisite DISCRETE remix and a great Nick Cave album

41T5dn5bisL._AC_.jpg
61xcY1OSbLL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
This sounds really, really fantastic (especially if you dig big band, which I know some folks on here do!). I had hesitated a bit to grab this one because sometimes Maynard gets a bit too "listen to me strangling this rabbit" for my taste, all squealin' away up there in the high register...

But he uses it pretty sparingly/tastefully on this one, so it's not a distraction. Great set list, band, performances, and beautifully recorded/nicely discreet!

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.31.22 PM.png

YES! I discovered Jarrett when i was in high school; my first purchase was The Köln Concert. Before i graduated, i also picked up Shades, The Survivors' Suite, Bop-Be, My Song, and Nude Ants! Loved me some Keith Jarrett back in the day! Still do!

Pianist Ethan Iverson does a track-by-track critical rundown of the output of Jarrett's "American Quartet" on his blog Do The Math. The post is named after Shades, which Iverson regards as "exceptional."

Interestingly, @quadtrade says here that Shades was actually QS-encoded. (I knew about Fort Yawuh, Treasure Island, Death and the Flower, and Backhand, of course, but hadn't heard that Shades was stealth quad.)
https://ethaniverson.com/shades-of-jazz-keith-jarrett-charlie-haden-paul-motian-dewey-redman/

My 4/20 in Surround playlist:

1966 Blonde On Blonde SACD Track 1
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35

1967 The Doors AP SACD Track 1
Uncensored Break On Through
(After the organ solo "Everybody loves my baby.. She get high!")

1968 Electric Ladyland Blu Ray
Rainy Day, Dream Away

1969 Sly & the Family Stone Greatest Hits AF SACD Track 1
I Want To Take You Higher - Album version

1970 Woodstock Movie Director's Cut Blu Ray

Jerry Garcia - Exhibit A

• Joe Cocker - (I Get High With) A Little Help From My Friends
  • Country Joe - Rockin' Soul Music (Barry Melton shows a joint to the camera as the song starts)
  • Arlo Guthrie - Comin' In To Los Angeles (crowd scenes during song taught every high school kid in the world how to make a pipe from foil, pass a joint & take a hit)
  • Sly Stone - I Want To Take You HIGHER
  • Jimi - Voodoo Child / National Anthem
David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name DVDA
Tamalpais High (Phil Lesh, bass gtr, Ctr Ch)

Bob Marley & Peter Tosh - Legend Blu Ray
Get Up, Stand Up

Rush 2112 DVDA
A Passage to Bangkok

Gaucho DVDA
Hey Nineteen

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Uninvisible DVDA
Ten Dollar High -> Smoke

Flaming Lips - At War With the Mystics DVDA
Vein of Stars -> The Wizard Turns On

Tom Petty - Hypnotic Eye Blu Ray
U Get Me High