Al Stewart's "Year of the Cat" (Remixed in 5.1 surround by Alan Parsons!!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that was exactly one of the benefits of dvd-a; there was room for MPL AND DD or DTS. They were fully compatible with any dvd player; though you couldn't get lossless without DVD-A capability, you could still get surround.

I think the issue might be software-related. At the consumer level, it's nearly impossible to burn a DVD-A nowadays: Minnetonka DiscWelder and Cirlinca HD Audio Solo lost support ages ago and became 'abandonware'. There's actually an ongoing thread here about people struggling to keep the Cirlinca program alive on newer operating systems.

Perhaps the same is true at the professional level--whatever authoring house Esoteric is using to make these discs may have stopped licensing the proper software years ago, or maybe it stopped running once they upgraded to a certain OS (kind of like how Pro Tools stopped supporting .mov files after the upgrade to Catalina).

I think the issue might be software-related. At the consumer level, it's nearly impossible to burn a DVD-A nowadays: Minnetonka DiscWelder and Cirlinca HD Audio Solo lost support ages ago and became 'abandonware'. There's actually an ongoing thread here about people struggling to keep the Cirlinca program alive on newer operating systems.

Perhaps the same is true at the professional level--whatever authoring house Esoteric is using to make these discs may have stopped licensing the proper software years ago, or maybe it stopped running once they upgraded to a certain OS (kind of like how Pro Tools stopped supporting .mov files after the upgrade to Catalina).
I'm beginning to think that DVD-A might be a dead format. Looking through my discs, the most recently released DVD-As are King Crimson's "The Power to Believe" and "The ReconstruKction of Light" from 2019. Even Jakko's "Secrets and Lies" is a DVD-V.

I'm beginning to think that DVD-A might be a dead format. Looking through my discs, the most recently released DVD-As are King Crimson's "The Power to Believe" and "The ReconstruKction of Light" from 2019. Even Jakko's "Secrets and Lies" is a DVD-V.
Sadly DVD-A is, and software to generate DVD-A is down to one (currently) supported package, and although it generates the correct format it has a crude 'one size fits all' menu, so nothing is modifiable, you get what you are given.

Sadly DVD-A is, and software to generate DVD-A is down to one (currently) supported package, and although it generates the correct format it has a crude 'one size fits all' menu, so nothing is modifiable, you get what you are given.

Sad indeed, Dunc, but ESOTERIC did release Alan Parsons Project on BD~A so for the price we're asked to pay for these box sets ..... dispense with the extraneous BS and give us LOSSLESS remixes!

He can afford to take the hit on the cost, the artist is charged for everything!

Can we expect a stand alone BD~A of YOTC in the future? Once the 'limited edition' box set sells out ....... could be a possibility! I'd GLADLY double dip!

See the source image

Can we expect a stand alone BD~A of YOTC in the future? Once the 'limited edition' box set sells out ....... could be a possibility! I'd GLADLY double dip!

See the source image
If Sony reduce their upfront royalties who can tell, but on the positive side we did get "Fish Out Of Water" as a BD-A sometime after it was released as the CD/DVD package.

If Sony reduce their upfront royalties who can tell, but on the positive side we did get "Fish Out Of Water" as a BD-A sometime after it was released as the CD/DVD package.

Yes, I own both the pricey box set with the LOSSY DVD~V and the 'superior' BD~A of Fish Out Of Water.

Thankfully, they don't make fish~flavored Ice Cream, Dunc!🐠

I've ripped the DTS 96/24 stream to FLAC using DVDAudioExtractor, and there is quite a lot of clipping. I haven't listened to it yet, and I haven't tried ripping the Dolby stream.
I've been reading of forum members preferring the Dolby stream for EQ reasons, and perhaps clipping is part of that conversation, too?

I've ripped the DTS 96/24 stream to FLAC using DVDAudioExtractor, and there is quite a lot of clipping. I haven't listened to it yet, and I haven't tried ripping the Dolby stream.
I've been reading of forum members preferring the Dolby stream for EQ reasons, and perhaps clipping is part of that conversation, too?

Don't you mean limiting? Clipping (audible distortion on peak overs) on releases like these would be surprising, or it could come from the software conversion to FLAC.

Back