Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been using a Sony S4100 model and have updated the software to the latest available which is M15-R-0255
These updates have not shown any adverse effects to the process.

More to follow:

Once you have the Sony Player it needs to have an initial set up:

1. Setup -> Audio Settings -> DSD Output Mode (Off)

2. Setup -> BD/DVD Viewing Settings -> BD Internet Connection (Do not allow)

3. Setup -> Music Settings -> Super Audio CD Playback Layer (SACD)

4. Setup -> System Settings -> Quick Start Mode (On)

5 Also make a note of the IP address as this will be required in the SACDExtractGUI ripping process.
Can this be accomplished without the remote? Have an opportunity to grab a used 590 for $25 but no remote. I have an X800v2, wonder if that would double if I can't use the front buttons to navigate.

Can this be accomplished without the remote? Have an opportunity to grab a used 590 for $25 but no remote. I have an X800v2, wonder if that would double if I can't use the front buttons to navigate.
Hi
I have used the front buttons before, rather than a remote and it was fine. I've also used another Sony Blu ray remote to work it. I also have the X800 v2 but not tried that remote. In theory it should work it.
Good price too.
If everything shapes up I wouldn't hesitate, if worse comes to the worse can always get a cheap remote on ebay.
Good luck when you start the ripping process.
Anything you are not sure of, ask away, plenty of folk here who can help out.

It can if the unit was already put into Quick Start mode by it's previous owner.
If not, you'd need a remote, and I'd think it very likely the remote for the X800v2 will work.
The other options are buy a generic remote for about $10 on eBay or Amazon, or use a universal remote with the Sony Blu-ray player IR codes programmed.
In the past you could also use the Sony app called Video & TV Sideview, though that was withdrawn from the Apple App Store a long time ago, and then on April 1st it was withdrawn from the Google Play Store too, so you'd have to find a copy of it floating about and then side load it on Android.
Lastly, some older Android phones had what's known as an IR blaster, that too would work.

Last edited:
May I ask has anyone successfully downgraded a Sony player (mine is BDP-S490) that is on M12.05xx firmware version?

I have been trying to do this with the project_bdp utility and instructions but the player gets stuck after part 1/9 of the upgrade process and aborts.

This is to use to make backup of SACD to DSD of my discs.

Thank you.
Hi
Sorry I've never tried to reverse the firmware on my Sony Blu Ray player.
Have you tried the ripping process with the firmware that is already there?

Well I'm already ripping the MCH tracks from Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music so I can listen to this in dts in the minivan. Excellent! Also the X800M2 remote worked like a charm.

My entire network is gigabit, perhaps the Sony BDP-S590 is the slow point? I'm getting 0.91MB/sec max, sound like it's probably the player? I'm saving to a Samsung SSD 970 Plus and my PC is Windows 10x64 with a 9th gen i-5, 64GB RAM. Plays Fortnite at 144Hz no problem. haha.

Do I have any settings fubar'd for multichannel or anyone have any additional recommendations?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    8 KB · Views: 80
Well I'm already ripping the MCH tracks from Joe Satriani's Strange Beautiful Music so I can listen to this in dts in the minivan. Excellent! Also the X800M2 remote worked like a charm.

My entire network is gigabit, perhaps the Sony BDP-S590 is the slow point? I'm getting 0.91MB/sec max, sound like it's probably the player? I'm saving to a Samsung SSD 970 Plus and my PC is Windows 10x64 with a 9th gen i-5, 64GB RAM. Plays Fortnite at 144Hz no problem. haha.

Do I have any settings fubar'd for multichannel or anyone have any additional recommendations?
Some titles just rip much slower than others in my experience, for whatever reason? I think typically my S5100 rips at about 3MB/sec; maybe network related, and my settings are about what yours are (I'll only rip dsf and multichannel if available.)

Like @beerking and @J. PUPSTER said, rip speeds are all over the place. MikeyFresh on HiFi Haven explained that it has something to do with density of the DSD stream (or something like that.) I know that DV multichannel twofer's extract at very sloooooooooow speeds.

I'm guessing the player is connected with WiFi and not Ethernet? If so the speed will generally increase the closer you move the unit to your router, so that could be a contributing factor to the rip speed being so slow.
As others have mentioned above, rip speeds will vary depending on the disc involved, but MCH is always slower to extract to DSF because there is additional processing in unfolding the lossless compression called DST. The stereo tracks (usually) don't have any DST, and thus will extract to DSF faster than the MCH tracks will. Also, there's simply more channels to process, so that takes longer.
You can't elect to leave the DST intact when extracting to DSF, which is why that setting is greyed out in the GUI, you don't have any choice.

I'm guessing the player is connected with WiFi and not Ethernet? If so the speed will generally increase the closer you move the unit to your router, so that could be a contributing factor to the rip speed being so slow.
As others have mentioned above, rip speeds will vary depending on the disc involved, but MCH is always slower to extract to DSF because there is additional processing in unfolding the lossless compression called DST. The stereo tracks (usually) don't have any DST, and thus will extract to DSF faster than the MCH tracks will. Also, there's simply more channels to process, so that takes longer.
You can't elect to leave the DST intact when extracting to DSF, which is why that setting is greyed out in the GUI, you don't have any choice.

Sorry I should have specified, my entire network is gigabit ethernet. We only use WiFi for our iPhones. I can stream bit for bit 4K Ultra HD rips from my PC (14TB internal storage) via Plex > NVidia Shield Pro no problem including dts:X and Dolby Atmos (Atmos is why I got the Pro, the 2GB RAM in the tube can't cut it when viewing full 4K backups with Plex)

LANTest results to the ethernet jack the Sony is in:
Mbps: WRITE 772.4933760 READ 911.5741840

No worries on the speed, just wanted to ensure I didn't have anything messed up. Have already ripped about 7 discs so far today, looking forward to having many of my 5.1 titles available now in the vehicle.
\m/ \m/

Hi
Sorry I've never tried to reverse the firmware on my Sony Blu Ray player.
Have you tried the ripping process with the firmware that is already there?

Hi BeerKing,

Yes I have tried the ripping process. The player does not react the the scripts on the USB as it should with the M12-0.5xx firmware loaded.

regards

Hi BeerKing,

Yes I have tried the ripping process. The player does not react the the scripts on the USB as it should with the M12-0.5xx firmware loaded.

regards
Humm, what a right pain in the a...
Maybe try a factory reset, if that is doable.
I have not come across this, with these Sony Blu Ray players, with a firmware update that prevents the ripping process to work.
It might be an idea to reach out to Mikey Fresh over on HiFiHaven to see if he can help.
Unless there is anyone on QQ that can throw a light on this problem.
Sorry, I can't be more of a help.
Mike

Last edited:
Humm, what a right pain in the a...
Maybe try a factory reset, if that is doable.
I have not come across this, with these Sony Blu Ray players, with a firmware update that prevents the ripping process to work.
It might be an idea to reach out to Mickey Fresh over on HiFiHaven to see if he can help.
Unless there is anyone on QQ that can throw a light on this problem.
Sorry, I can't be more of a help.
Mike
Thanks Mike will try a follow up with Mickey Fresh, much appreciated.

Sorry for one other question, is there a program that converts .dsf (Windows 10) directly to 24/88.2? I'm currently using dBPowerAmp and it does not have 44.1/88.2/176.4 options. Not a huge deal, just wondered if there was something similar to DSD2FLAC for Windows? I can only find Linux and Mac versions. Any Windows users have better options? Can the SACDExtractGUI be set to do it if I don't play on keeping the .dsf files?

Last edited:
Sorry for one other question, is there a program that converts .dsf (Windows 10) directly to 24/88.2? I'm currently using dBPowerAmp and it does not have 44.1/88.2/176.4 options. Not a huge deal, just wondered if there was something similar to DSD2FLAC for Windows? I can only find Linux and Mac versions. Any Windows users have better options? Can the SACDExtractGUI be set to do it if I don't play on keeping the .dsf files?
I'm using Foobar2000 to do the conversion and it is possible to change the sampling rate.
1619202649940.png

ffmpeg can do it also.
ffmpeg -i $DSFFile -sample_fmt s16 -ar 88200 $OutputFlac

I do it in a perl loop but it is easy enough to do via batch, script, powershell, etc.

So, I've joined the Sony club.

After the demise of my Pioneer BDP-80FD (one of the worst electronic POS I have ever purchased), and some misgivings about spending money on a disk player I really only need for ripping SACDs (all my current collection is already ripped), I bought a used BDP-S5100. $32, no remote.

I got remote capability by entering the proper code into the universal remote for my cable box. After downloading the new Autoscript pack as well as the new ripper software, and the fine guidance on this thread, I got it all working in an hour or two.

Oddly, I cant get the unit to play the DSD tracks to my bedroom AVR. I reset to factory specs. I set the menu options to turn off DSD output over HDMI, and to use PCM as the HDMI output format. But still no sound from the AVR. The CD layer plays fine. Blurays and DVD's play fine. Anyone have a clue? Maybe an incompatibility with the converted DSD to PCM format and my AVR? Since this is mainly for ripping and the occasional movie, its not a big deal, but still....

If it's playing Blu-rays over HDMI, you'd figure it has to play DSD>PCM. Does it have a sampling output rate where you could try perhaps 88.2 instead of 176.4?
The AVR is pretty new to me but it plays ripped SACD which is 24/88.2 PCM. Ill have to try something beyond 96kHz. Maybe it only goes to 96kHz.

Does anyone know what PCM bitrate the BDP-S5100 resamples DSD to?

Back