Van Der Graaf Generator - 5.1 mixes coming in 2021. It's happening!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately, a comment on the band's Facebook page indicates that the 5.1 remixes will be released as part of a 20-disc box set.
That would be a heart-breaking outcome. And kind of of like saying 'Look what we have for you!' but then slapping all of us long-term avid fans in the face. A giant of a box set with locked-in surround discs, out of reach for most us. :( :( :( Please please please let this not be true.

I'm down with a 20-disc box if that's what it takes to get Pawn Hearts and Godbluff in 5.1. We're talking about one of the major progressive rock groups of the '70s here. Much like the Gentle Giant box with all of their albums, lots of live stuff and the Wilson mix of their first LP, a huge VDGG box with (presumably) all of their albums and a couple in surround would be great.

Pawn Hearts looked scary when I found it used, and I didn't know what it was. So I bought it. The music goes places other bands approach, but this goes further.

Unfortunately, a comment on the band's Facebook page indicates that the 5.1 remixes will be released as part of a 20-disc box set.

So it's gonna be like the Steve Hackett, Gong, and Tangerine Dream box sets then.
Fine with me. Those are all excellent sets, especially if all 7 studio albums from that Charisma era are included in 5.1!

:)

Unless the 5.1 remixes are stand alone releases ..... NO WAY am I investing in a 20 RBCD set!

Not even if all 7 Charisma albums are remixed in 5.1 surround?
Even if CD/DVD sets for each album are released, at $20 each, that would be around $140 in total.
The 20-disc box set probably would not be a whole lot more than that...

Van der Graaf GeneratorH to He, Who Am the Only One- I think is a good start. The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other was my first experience of VDGG. But I think H to He, is a good place to start. Pawn Hearts may be their finest hour. It is one intense album.
H To He was my first (and thus far only) VdGG album. Reasonably accessible.

Van der Graaf GeneratorH to He, Who Am the Only One- I think is a good start. The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other was my first experience of VDGG. But I think H to He, is a good place to start. Pawn Hearts may be their finest hour. It is one intense album.
OK, I will take your advice. I just ordered H to He from Amz after briefly checking out a few of the songs on youtube. I am not sure I like the vocals but the music is pretty out there, plus I love long songs. My first impression is that they were mining the same territory as Genesis.

Ha!
When I first read here in this thread "H to He", my 1st thought was "some reference to the top row of the Periodic Table?"

I have never heard of this band until this thread, much less am I familiar with any albums or songs. Because of the excitement shown here in this thread I will have to sample at least one of these 5.1 releases.

OK, I will take your advice. I just ordered H to He from Amz after briefly checking out a few of the songs on youtube. I am not sure I like the vocals but the music is pretty out there, plus I love long songs. My first impression is that they were mining the same territory as Genesis.
I listened to H to He last night, for the first time in a while. While its good, I would say it sounds a bit dated compared to some of the others. If I had to recommend to someone a first dip into Van Der Graaf, it would be any from Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, Still Life and World Record.

Big clue
So it's gonna be like the Steve Hackett, Gong, and Tangerine Dream box sets then.
Fine with me. Those are all excellent sets, especially if all 7 studio albums from that Charisma era are included in 5.1!

Big clue right there, with Stephen W, Taylor liking your comment.
I say this with all fingers crossed!!

I'm sure he would like to say more but contractually waiting for the official release date, I expect.

I listened to H to He last night, for the first time in a while. While its good, I would say it sounds a bit dated compared to some of the others. If I had to recommend to someone a first dip into Van Der Graaf, it would be any from Pawn Hearts, Godbluff, Still Life and World Record.
Now ya tell me. Where were you yesterday,,, LOL ;)

I almost bought Pawn Hearts instead. If I like H to He at all, I will grab Pawn Hearts next (or maybe I will wait to see the specifics of the 5.1 releases. If I am going to start buying VDGG albums might as well spend the money on the surround mixes). I can say with certainty that there is no way I am going to consider buying a huge box set unless I see God when I start listening to H to He.

Big clue

Big clue right there, with Stephen W, Taylor liking your comment.
I say this with all fingers crossed!!

I'm sure he would like to say more but contractually waiting for the official release date, I expect.
Let's hope so :D. The Prog magazine website mentions the Van Der Graaf reissue campaign, which commences in July.

Now ya tell me. Where were you yesterday,,, LOL ;)

I almost bought Pawn Hearts instead. If I like H to He at all, I will grab Pawn Hearts next (or maybe I will wait to see the specifics of the 5.1 releases. If I am going to start buying VDGG albums might as well spend the money on the surround mixes). I can say with certainty that there is no way I am going to consider buying a huge box set unless I see God when I start listening to H to He.

For me, while Pawn Hearts was the peak for Van Der Graaf Generator's first period, it was when they did an 'all change' four years later and put out Godbluff -- well, it felt as if the Earth had tilted. Everything that came after it in this second period for the band is wonderful -- Still Life, World Record, Quiet Zone, Vital -- but for me, and surely many, many fans, Godbluff is their landmark release.

Last edited:
This is another legendary band whose music I've heard of for many years but never actually heard. I checked out a sample earlier in this thread courtesy of IMachine. I like it. The lead singer kind of sounds like David Bowie and the instrumentation reminded me of the Moodies.

For me, while Pawn Hearts was the peak for Van Der Graaf Generator's first period, it was when they did an 'all change' four years later and put out Godbluff -- well, it felt as if the Earth had tilted. Everything that came after it in this second period for the band is wonderful -- Still Life, World Record, Quiet Zone, Vital -- but for me, and surely many, many fans, Godbluff is their landmark release.

I agree about Godbluff, and if anyone's interested, here it is live :rocks

Premonitions only had two real 5.1s plus two pretty worthless upmixes. Broken Skies Outspread Winds only has seven songs in 5.1, but didn't have all the albums already to was more worth it. In Search of Hades only has two and a half albums in surround plus a bunch of CDs I already had. So, I'm hoping it's not a surround mix of a couple of albums plus a bunch of other discs I don't want. OTOH, if it's a full set of 5.1s like the Genesis, Talking Heads and Quadio boxes then I'm in for sure.

I agree about Godbluff, and if anyone's interested, here it is live :rocks

I only vaguely remember Van Der Gruff and is it me but is Peter Hammill's voice taking a bit of getting used to.

Sorry all you Van Fans !!

Nope, I don't own any of their releases.

But I may in the future. ;)

Alright, just listened to H to He for the first time ever while doing some housework. Singer definitely sounds like Bowie (for better or worse). When I first listened to a few snippets before buying the cd my first thought was they sounded like Genesis musically, but now I am leaning more towards a King Crimson influence. The music was a little too meandering for my taste and I still am on the fence about the vocals. Definitely not music that you will be whistling the rest of the day as you go about your business. If there are stand alone 5.1 releases, I will definitely pick up a couple because they sound like, if done correctly, they could produce an awesome surround mix. I will listen to this again because bands with music like this usually take a few listens to gel in my brain. I also gravitate towards music with a heavier rock sound which this is not.
Put on Zep 4 after.... that's better.

Back