SACD Conversion (moved from: Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well okay then. Seems like this thread can be locked up, as the whole thing is moot.

I am a Mac user that has recently ripped 100's of SACD's to FLAC using free software from Sonore; I have not had any issues following the attached instructions (for Oppo 103/5 players) which were posted on another forum. The software is free, but it is a 2-step process; you can rip/convert both stereo and MCh layers from the SACDs. BTW, I leave many as .dsf and only convert to FLAC to make "adjustments" in Audacity or when sending to a DAC that doesn't support .dsf audio files.

I use an Oppo BDP105 as my universal player, but a number of other disc players are capable of ripping as well (PS3, Sony, Pioneer, etc) - I also use HomerJAU's instructions Converting Multichannel Discs 101 as my primary reference material (Thank You!).

The software programs used are from the Sonore website (Link) you will need 2 software packages: ISO2DSD snd DSD2FLAC. Once you have installed the software, the first step is to rip the SACD using ISO2DSD - you can rip to .dsf (or .dff or raw ISO image) through selections in the GUI. The next step is utilizing the Sonore software DSD2FLAC (also free and found on the Sonore website). During this step, you need to choose the sample rate (multiples of 88.2 kHz), bit depth and whether you want dithering and scaling (dB) during the conversion from .dsf to FLAC. There is some explanation on Sonore's site or you can search the web for various discussions. FWIW I can provide my settings if interested.

As I said above, I have ripped 100's SACDs from my collection using this method without issue. Hopefully other Mac users can have success as well.

Attachments

• Ripping SACDs using an Oppo 103 or 105.pdf
    38 KB · Views: 724
I am a Mac user that has recently ripped 100's of SACD's to FLAC using free software from Sonore; I have not had any issues following the attached instructions (for Oppo 103/5 players) which were posted on another forum. The software is free, but it is a 2-step process; you can rip/convert both stereo and MCh layers from the SACDs. BTW, I leave many as .dsf and only convert to FLAC to make "adjustments" in Audacity or when sending to a DAC that doesn't support .dsf audio files.

I use an Oppo BDP105 as my universal player, but a number of other disc players are capable of ripping as well (PS3, Sony, Pioneer, etc) - I also use HomerJAU's instructions Converting Multichannel Discs 101 as my primary reference material (Thank You!).

The software programs used are from the Sonore website (Link) you will need 2 software packages: ISO2DSD snd DSD2FLAC. Once you have installed the software, the first step is to rip the SACD using ISO2DSD - you can rip to .dsf (or .dff or raw ISO image) through selections in the GUI. The next step is utilizing the Sonore software DSD2FLAC (also free and found on the Sonore website). During this step, you need to choose the sample rate (multiples of 88.2 kHz), bit depth and whether you want dithering and scaling (dB) during the conversion from .dsf to FLAC. There is some explanation on Sonore's site or you can search the web for various discussions. FWIW I can provide my settings if interested.

As I said above, I have ripped 100's SACDs from my collection using this method without issue. Hopefully other Mac users can have success as well.

What OS version are you using? It refuses to open/start here on 10.14.6 Mojave and I do have both versions of Java installed.

OS is up to date... Big Sur 11.2.3

I dunno, then. I refuse to update the OS past Mojave as I would lose 32-bit apps like Photoshop CS3, IsotopeRX, etc. I think they dumped my 2012 Mac Mini now anyway (with 2TB SSD system drive, 16GB Ram and quad i7 CPU, it's still pretty darn snappy even 9 years later plus I have 13TB of media storage attached gigabit Ethernet). I'd probably be better off just rebooting into Windows 10 to do it.

What OS version are you using? It refuses to open/start here on 10.14.6 Mojave and I do have both versions of Java installed.
As I said earlier in the thread, I’ve never been able to get iso2dsd to work on my Mac either. I just run it on a PC.

This is all pretty much covered earlier in the thread - albeit in less detail because the problem is the OP wanted to rip directly from SACD to flac on a Mac.

I have uploaded the Sonore file that I use to this folder if you would like to try them. These may not be the latest versions but are currently what I use... My iMac is older as well.

Sonore DSD2FLAC is being very strange. The file section where you browse to where your files are located isn't showing any folders or files past a certain point. My ripped DSF files are in a folder on my Desktop and when I browse to Desktop for my user, it doesn't show anything, not the folder nor any files. Even if I choose All Files, it shows nothing.

Back