John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Super Deluxe Edition (New 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I still plan to buy this box set. Considering what was on the original master tapes, this was about what was to be expected, from the initial reviews I’ve read so far. Musically, this is a great album.

Let’s just hope that the other John Lennon titles get a nice release. I’m still waiting for a re-release in pristine audio of the Quadraphonic mix of “Walls and Bridges.”
Yes, honestly...once we determined that the raw mixes were not going to be in the Quad type form.......then there would have been little hope that they could make the super sparse regular album into a surround tour de force. I agree. I sounded bitter in my post. I'm not. I will keep my copy as it's a cool looking set. In time, I will rip the tracks and get them on my NAS. :)

So far, an early listen on Tidal, I'm kinda feeling that this will get a 7 or 8 in the polls from me. It's not super aggressive with the surround, but there's enough to create a sense of placing you squarely in the room with Lennon, Voorman, Ringo, et. al. as they play.

For a 1969/1970 album it sounds fantastic and even to the point where you can hear the clipping, because the recording dynamic range seemingly can't handle the singing/instruments. I like the RAW feeling of this.

I have the box coming, and I don't think jumping the gun to cancel before giving this a chance is fair. But YMMV. :cool:

Starting to creep into this huge music listening experience. I just finished the Dolby Atmos version and was quite pleased. If the listener wants to compare all Atmos releases to 3D Kraftwek or Point Yello, this 1970 release intended for stereo will dissapoint. But in the context of now vs then I enjoyed the Atmos experience and was done quite well with some outstanding parts in the heights and other tracks not so much.
I purchased this box set with the intention of enjoying it all, book, pictures, out takes, demos, etc and this will take awhile to go through all this. Voting in a poll, not even close.
When I eventually rip, I can see a lot of note taking will be necessary on the Blu Ray rips as there is a lot of options.
Sadly, I am guessing, under no circumstance will a first time listener building a surround collection be happy with this. This likely will only be for the seasoned veteran of John Lennon and The Plastic Ono Band.

Been listening to the rest of blu-ray disc 1 this morning. Outtakes, elements, demos. Its fantastic, if you’re at all a Lennon fan or a fan of the album I’d say it’s a must have.

I agree. As a Lennon fan, and someone who loves this album, I would have bought it not matter what. When I get a chance to boost the rear channels in Sound Forge and get this in the car, I will probably appreciate the surround mix more. Sad that we have to do such things, but at least we have the ability to do those things.

Crap like that was impossible for us to do back when the album first came out.

Here's a look at the 7.1 rip from AudioMuxer. Here, if you treat channels 6 and 7 as the 'rears', the levels are much better in tune with the fronts and the center. I plan to listen to what's in channels 4 and 5 and report back. Remember, this is not REALLY the Atmos mix, it's the 7.1 mix. It's all too much, a ball of confusion really.........

PS - remember you can click these jpgs and see them in more detail (if you're logged in)

71.jpg

Here's a look at the 7.1 rip from AudioMuxer. Here, if you treat channels 6 and 7 as the 'rears', the levels are much better in tune with the fronts and the center. I plan to listen to what's in channels 4 and 5 and report back. Remember, this is not REALLY the Atmos mix, it's the 7.1 mix. It's all too much, a ball of confusion really.........

PS - remember you can click these jpgs and see them in more detail (if you're logged in)

View attachment 66433
And now a question for which I don't expect an answer... what is the logic in the AVR supposed to do when downmixing the 7.1 to 5.1 and then adding the info that should go to the height channels? Will it average the volume of the back rears with the rears? This should be my case where I have a 5.1.4 setup

I just auditioned the 5/6 channels on the 7.1 mix and found this. Nothing spectacular by any means, but interesting none the less.

I am thinking that taking the F-R-C-RS-LS of the 7.1 (tossing 5/6) might make the best 5.1 of the lot!

MOTHER: Piano w/Vocal Bleed
HOLD ON: Ambience
I FOUND OUT: Vocal
WORKING CLASS HERO: Ambience
ISOLATION: Bass Drum, Organ, Piano, Ambient Vocals
REMEMBER: Echo Piano, Out of time Vocals
LOVE: Echo Piano, Ambient Vocals
WELL WELL WELL: Bass Drum, Percussion, Vocals
LOOK AT ME: Ambience
GOD: Piano
GIVE PEACE A CHANCE: Ambience
COLD TURKEY: Silent except for a few sections of guitar only (Look at the wav above and you can "see" the guitar)
INSTANT KARMA: Ambience, but almost full background vocals on the chorus

I just auditioned the 5/6 channels on the 7.1 mix and found this. Nothing spectacular by any means, but interesting none the less.

I am thinking that taking the F-R-C-RS-LS of the 7.1 (tossing 5/6) might make the best 5.1 of the lot!

MOTHER: Piano w/Vocal Bleed
HOLD ON: Ambience
I FOUND OUT: Vocal
WORKING CLASS HERO: Ambience
ISOLATION: Bass Drum, Organ, Piano, Ambient Vocals
REMEMBER: Echo Piano, Out of time Vocals
LOVE: Echo Piano, Ambient Vocals
WELL WELL WELL: Bass Drum, Percussion, Vocals
OH MY LOVE: Ambience
GOD: Piano
GIVE PEACE A CHANCE: Ambience
COLD TURKEY: Silent except for a few sections of guitar only (Look at the wav above and you can "see" the guitar)
INSTANT KARMA: Ambience, but almost full background vocals on the chorus
So are you thinking this 5/6 info is incorporated into the 5.1 mixes?

So are you thinking this 5/6 info is incorporated into the 5.1 mixes?

I would guess so.

Very interesting is "Remember". The 5/6 has the vocal but it's like a split second BEFORE the front vocals! I pulled the fronts only, dropped the volume 13 db (!!), then put that in the fronts of a new 6CH wav file, then pasted the 5/6 into the rears of that file and listened closely. The vocals seem to me to be slightly ahead of the main vocal. Maybe it's just my aging ears, but it's pretty strange

I have to admit, taking the 1-2-3-6-7 tracks from the 7.1 and making a 5.1 does sound pretty damn good. It looks to be that the 6+7 of the 7.1 are pretty much the same as the 4+5 of the 5.1, but the levels are much higher. You might be able to do the same just by boosting the 4+5 of the 5.1, but the levels used on the 7.1 seem to match perfectly the levels on the 1-2-3, so rather than guess a db increase, if you can, rip the 7.1, dump the 4+5, and create your own 5.1 from 1-2-3-6-7 on the 7.1.

I'd like to hear from someone else who tries this to see if I'm on the right track, or just peeing into the tornado! :)

Atmos 5.1.jpg

Last edited:
Back