Quad LP/Tape Poll Newman, Randy: Good Old Boys [CD-4/Q8/QR]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Good Old Boys"

• 10: Great Sound, Great Mix, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Bad Sound, Bad Mix, Bad Content

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
1974 journey through the American south.

Side 1:

1. Rednecks
2. Birmingham
3. Marie
4. Mr. President(Have Pity On The Working Man)
5. Guilty

Side 2:

1. Louisiana 1927
2. Ev'ry Man A King
3. Kingfish
4. Naked Man
5. A Wedding In Cherokee County
6. Back On My Feete Again
7. Rollin'

Attachments

• Randy Good Old Boys.jpg
    Randy Good Old Boys.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 431
Everytime I think of Randy Newman, I think about how they portrayed him on Family Guy.....

"He just sits there all day singin' about things he sees!"

I picked this up on Q8 a few weeks back. The tape sounds decent enough, but since there's so much piano on this album it's easy to detect the occasional bit of speed warble.

Nothing gimmicky about the quad mix, solid front/rear separation as with most WEA titles. Usually you get vocals, piano, and drums in the fronts, with brass, strings, and bass guitar in the rears. Though occasionally it does switch things up, such as on "Naked Man" which has the piano in the rears.

I'm going with an 8. I like the content and mix better than the DVD-A of Little Criminals. If WEA/Rhino saw fit to reissue this and Sail Away, I'd happily buy.

"Rednecks":
Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 11.12.26 PM.png

"Lousiana 1927":
Screen Shot 2019-04-02 at 11.13.24 PM.png

If WEA/Rhino saw fit to reissue this and Sail Away, I'd happily buy.

Hear! Hear! Two solid mixes. I've only ever heard Good Old Boys in the excellent CD-4 decode by UnderMyWheels, and for a long time I assumed that unlike Sail Away, it never had a QR release. And then Mark Anderson disabused me of that assumption. Never seen it, but would love to hear it...

I love this album, I like it more than Sail Away even.

Stunner of a recording and performances. Only have heard the DTS conversion from Q4 and it's very good. Wish I have a DVD conversion, poor me. I don't hold out much hope for s release of this, I mean if the Doobies are that hard to get out then this one is certainly not next on the front burner at Warners.

Just got my hands on a copy of this. It's a thing of beauty. Newman in his prime and nice 4.0 mix (which is accurately described above so I won't reiterate.) I give Sail Away a slight edge over this one in terms of both songs and mix, so I'll give this one a 9. This (and Sail Away) would make a sweet SACD or BDA.

Randy Newman and Paul Simon let Vocalion.. like your friend Art.

Randy Newman as a Good Old Boy singing Rednecks .... Live 1979

And Lester Maddox and the "New York Jew"

Hear! Hear! Two solid mixes. I've only ever heard Good Old Boys in the excellent CD-4 decode by UnderMyWheels, and for a long time I assumed that unlike Sail Away, it never had a QR release. And then Mark Anderson disabused me of that assumption. Never seen it, but would love to hear it...

I was just listening to Nilsson, so Newman seemed the logical next step. Took me a year to find a QR conversion, only to be disappointed. (Way too much warble. Did Warners have issues with their R2R duplication?) So I've gone back to the CD-4 decode.

Sound: early and mid-70s pop records, especially WEA records, often sound "saturated" to me--made for AM radio, and not as dynamic or subtle as they ought to be. (Even the really delicate tunes on this album, like "Marie," aren't whisper-quiet enough. Maybe I'm asking for the impossible.) 8.

Mix: @sjcorne is a more careful listener than I am. See above. But I agree with his "8."

Content: I love every last Randy Newman record; he's one of my musical heroes. This isn't one of the 10s, even though it has its share of classics (and a couple of sleepers). But it's close: 9.

I'll go with an 8, but if Rhino would reissue this, even as a high-res Quadio FLAC download, I would personally buy multiple copies, raise my vote to "10," and go evangelizing door-to-door. (@ForagingRhino, are you still with us? Tell the execs to start thinking just a little bit outside the box! Times are desperate, right?)

Last edited:
Back