More Gentle Giant in 5.1 coming - Free Hand, Interview and The Missing Piece

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the answer. So, when I rip it with DVD audio extractor, how many channels will show up and decode?

In addition to "object placement" metadata that direct the Atmos decoder how to render the mix, based on the number of speakers, Atmos tracks also have a TrueHD 5.1/7.1 "core." (See @HomerJAU's Dolby Atmos FAQ thread.) Others here will know whether DVDAE is capable of ripping Atmos as Atmos or if it can only grab the core.

But Wilson said that the GG releases would have separate, dedicated 5.1 mixes, as well.

Last edited:
Actually Atmos isn't mixed for "channels" in the traditional sense. It is object-based, so sounds are assigned to a location rather than a channel. Here's a good, brief explanation from a CNET article:

"Atmos, for the most part, doesn't use channels. Instead, most sounds are treated as "objects." Instead of assigning a sound to a channel (and by extension, a speaker), Atmos lets filmmakers assign a sound to a place. Not "left surround speaker" but "left rear corner." Not "pan from left surround speaker to right sound speaker" but "pan smoothly across the rear wall." Not only does this give greater flexibility, but it improves the experience in the theater and, potentially, at home. "

So, the channel assignment in your system will be done by the decoder in your processor or AVR, based on the direction from which each sound should come and how many speakers (channels) your system has.

I was under the impression that DTS was like this too? Did I misunderstand this?

I was under the impression that DTS was like this too? Did I misunderstand this?

DTS:X is, but all other flavors of DTS and Dolby Digital are mixed for a specified number of channels. 5.1, 6.1, or (I think) 7.1.

Thank you for the answers, that is what I always assumed until I looked into the data and thought about an alternative explanation.
Here the detail for Axe Victim (by the way, I recommend also all the other 5.1 releases of BBD !):

Contents of the DVD-A: 5.95 GB located in the VIDEO_TS folder.
Analysis with DVD Audio Extractor (note that in DVDAE DTS and AC3 show up as "48 kHz" but rip correctly to 96 kHz wav or flac if "same sample rate as input" is selected).
Title 1 (remix):
LPCM (96/24, 2 Ch) --- 1.91 GB (uncompressed)
DTS (96/24, 6 Ch) --- 0.64 GB (direct demux) -> for some reason DVDAE rips only at 48 kHz (core?)
AC3 (96/24, 6 Ch) --- 0.18 GB (direct demux) -> for some reason DVDAE rips only at 48 kHz (core?)
Title 2 (original flat transfer):
LPCM (96/24, 2 Ch) --- 1.43 GB (uncompressed)

It appears you are using either an old version of DVDAE (before it was able to rip DTS 96/24), or the DTS stuff really is 48/24, not 96/24

AFAIK AC3 is never 96/24

Free Hand is coming on June 25 as a CD+BD-V combo w/ 5.1 and Dolby Atmos mixes by S. Wilson:
1619546798633.png

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail/-/art/gentle-giant-free-hand/hnum/10490958

Last edited:
Also, there's an animated movie for every track (description changed to BD-V):

Just The Same (Directed and animated by Noah Shulman)
On Reflection (Executive produced by JuanEB/Directed by Gerado Gonzalez/Animation and Design: Luis Mejia and Dinamita Animation)
Free Hand (Directed and animated by Sam Chegini)
Time To Kill (Directed and animated by Noah Shulman)
His Last Voyage (Directed and animated by Morgan and James Chadwick)
Talybont (Directed and animated by Dan Melius)
Mobile (Directed and animated by Noah Shulman)

Oh wow. Should be some US vendors shortly....I'm digging it man. I will be getting this for sure.

I would ordinarily wait for Amazon or ImportCDs, too, @GOS, but I've had great experiences with jpc.de this past year, and now I'm a big cheerleader. Once you enter your US address, you'll see a price drop reflected in your cart (after they deduct VAT). And unlike most other overseas merchants, they've kept their S&H low. Right now I've got two items in my cart, and total shipping costs are just over four euros.

Junior in high school, played this all the time and all hours of the day and night. Saw them play it live twice in 1975 and again in 1976, this album permeated this period in my life. Just played the corrected quad mix in the truck yesterday...

Of course I've been wanting this in surround for years (through fears of lost tapes), the fact that we are getting so MUCH more with a release now is cause for celebration! :SB

I would ordinarily wait for Amazon or ImportCDs, too, @GOS, but I've had great experiences with jpc.de this past year, and now I'm a big cheerleader. Once you enter your US address, you'll see a price drop reflected in your cart (after they deduct VAT). And unlike most other overseas merchants, they've kept their S&H low. Right now I've got two items in my cart, and total shipping costs are just over four euros.
Shipping to US: 3.00 Euros
Shipping to Canada: 8.50 Euros
:(

Back