John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band Super Deluxe Edition (New 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me as someone unimpressed with this... ☹ The "surround" (only listened to the Atmos) is rubbish... I think they missed a trick. And the marketing of 2x Blu Ray featuring stereo, 5.1 and Dolby Atmos is highly misleading when in fact only 14 tracks on 1x Blu Ray featured a "surround" mix. Bollocks to this release... Just my opinion... 😎

Well I'll say my feelings...I bought this on the ASSUMPTION it followed the wonderful surround experience of the Extras just like "Imagine". I'm sorry but for $100 it just isn't sitting right for a described so-so surround mix only on the original album. Mine is due from Import CD next week and I don't plan on opening it and will be sending it back. By the time we were getting confirmations of no surround on the extras, it had already shipped.

Nitpickers galore. Kudos to the team Yoko has assembled to work on these reissues. The remixes are interesting and the remastering is stunning. Bitch all you want, break out your frequency meters. But the music and the packaging speaks for itself.
I don't understand why anyone would expect more from this release.
What can you really do with drums, bass, vocals, and one guitar (or piano) in surround sound?
Not much of anything, that's what.

Anybody who expected more from this release either does not know the record at all or was incredibly naive about what was actually possible.

I'm very happy with the sound quality of this release and the amount of material that is included.
It'll get a '7' from me.

:)

The recent complaints about The Beatles 1+, Gimme Some Truth and Year Of The Cat are valid:

1. The Beatles 1+: A brutal attempt at fake surround. Upmixing the high resolution stereo through the Surround Master is much more impressive.
2. Gimme Some Truth: The 5.1 AC3 and 7.1 TrueHD mixes are more impressive than the 5.1 DTS mix. But one must know how to data mine the disc to get at them.
3. Year Of The Cat: The 5.1 DTS sounds "hot" to many of us and is mastered so loud that there is clipping. I fixed it in Audacity, but it took hours to develop the filter profile.
4. Plastic Ono Band: Again, from what Jon Urban posted it seems that the 5.1 DTS mix sounds blase compared to the 7.1 TrueHD. And he found it to be much more satisfying by making his own 5.1 mix from the 7.1 TrueHD mix. As I said earlier, I really like the 5.1 remix that I made from the 7.1 TrueHD stream of the Plastic Ono Band tracks that appear on Gimme Some Truth. But to quote LuvMyQuad:

Ya know, the last thing i really want is another favorite classic 70's release (like Stewart's YOTC) that I have to mess with and put effort into, to sound proper. The futzing about labor used to be included in the price of the release. :mad:

Will be MOST interesting to behold what film director Peter Jackson [Lord of the Rings] accomplishes surroundwise with the [restored] Beatles' GET BACK soundtrack....working from 56 hours of found footage!
YES!! I'm willing to bet the movie soundtrack, if released in surround, will be spectacular!

I was just comparing the old 5.1 mix of "Love" from the Lennon Legend DVD with the new version on the Plastic Ono Band Blu-Ray. For me at least, it's no contest: Peter Cobbin's mix has the vocal and guitar in the front three speakers, with the piano almost completely isolated in the rears. The new mix is almost mono-sounding by comparison, with all three elements most prominent in the center speaker. I will concede that the new mix is quite a bit cleaner-sounding though--the old version seems to have been hit with some noise reduction.

"Love" (Lennon Legend DVD):
Love Lennon Legend.jpg

"Love" (Plastic Ono Band Blu-Ray):
Love POB Blu-Ray.jpg

Still waiting on mine from Amazon via the USPS...seems to be following a wandering star I mean how hard is it to find Alabama :unsure: covered half the south so far o_O

Monday, April 26
3:10 AM
Package has left the carrier facility.
Greensboro, NC US
Friday, April 23
9:11 PM
Package arrived at a carrier facility.
Greensboro, NC US
Thursday, April 22
5:25 PM
Nashville, TN US
3:28 PM
Louisville, KY US
10:00 AM
Louisville, KY US
Wednesday, April 21
10:54 PM
Braselton, GA US
10:37 PM
Braselton, GA US
10:34 PM
Package departed an Amazon facility
Braselton, GA US
4:52 PM
Package arrived at an Amazon facility
Braselton, GA US
2:35 PM
Delivery appointment scheduled
US

Package has shipped

Still waiting on mine from Amazon via the USPS...seems to be following a wandering star I mean how hard is it to find Alabama :unsure: covered half the south so far o_O

Monday, April 26
Greensboro, NC US
Friday, April 23
Greensboro, NC US
Thursday, April 22
Nashville, TN US
Louisville, KY US
Louisville, KY US
Wednesday, April 21
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
US

Package has shipped
Amazon go slow.
Plastic Ono come home.

importcds is its own little drama. Shipped late last week. It began sitting at depot twenty miles from here on Saturday and is expected to crawl here Wednesday in its own good time.

I’m not too pressed but I’m just as eager I’ve waited thirty years. Even the disappointing surround doesn’t dampen my own enthusiasm for this angst-ridden opus.

Maybe by the time it arrives we can write “return to sender/refused” and buy a “played once by adult in non-smoking house, minimal shelf wear” from one of those already intent on unloading their copies.

Here's a look at the 7.1 rip from AudioMuxer. Here, if you treat channels 6 and 7 as the 'rears', the levels are much better in tune with the fronts and the center. I plan to listen to what's in channels 4 and 5 and report back. Remember, this is not REALLY the Atmos mix, it's the 7.1 mix. It's all too much, a ball of confusion really.........

PS - remember you can click these jpgs and see them in more detail (if you're logged in)

View attachment 66433
Have you had a chance to extract any of the 5.1 AC3 lossy tracks? Curious if they are unmolested as was the case in the Gimme Some Truth set.

Monday, April 26
Greensboro, NC US
Friday, April 23
Greensboro, NC US
Thursday, April 22
Nashville, TN US
Louisville, KY US
Louisville, KY US
Wednesday, April 21
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
US

Package has shipped
Mine is literally 4 miles away but scheduled to be delivered by 8pm Weds...🤔 I could probably just go get it hahahah.

Have you had a chance to extract any of the 5.1 AC3 lossy tracks? Curious if they are unmolested as was the case in the Gimme Some Truth set.

My computer is now disconnected and sitting on the floor in another room as I wait for new carpet to be installed tomorrow in my "office" (Upstairs spare bedroom). It's the culmination of a massive cleaning/disassemble of my entire upstairs. Once I get everything back together (might be weeks) I will check it out, but in the meantime I am sure someone else will.

It's too early for me to vote, but I have to say that, after one listen to the 5.1 mix, I'm already satisfied with this purchase. I know that this puts me way in the minority here at QQ, but the surround mix has met my expectations. I was not expecting a wildly discrete mix at all. Instead, my hope was to feel immersed in the music, as if the band were right here in the room with me, and I think the mix succeeds in doing that. The fidelity is spectacular and, considering how bare bones the production is, I'm hearing things that I never noticed before.

Also, I have to say that, despite the minimalism of the mix, I love the fact that they included "surround sound maps" for this set and the other Lennon boxes. Opinions on the mixes aside, these maps at least demonstrate some intentionality in their mixing choices. I wish EVERY surround release would include surround maps like this.

It's too early for me to vote, but I have to say that, after one listen to the 5.1 mix, I'm already satisfied with this purchase. I know that this puts me way in the minority here at QQ, but the surround mix has met my expectations. I was not expecting a wildly discrete mix at all. Instead, my hope was to feel immersed in the music, as if the band were right here in the room with me, and I think the mix succeeds in doing that. The fidelity is spectacular and, considering how bare bones the production is, I'm hearing things that I never noticed before.

Also, I have to say that, despite the minimalism of the mix, I love the fact that they included "surround sound maps" for this set and the other Lennon boxes. Opinions on the mixes aside, these maps at least demonstrate some intentionality in their mixing choices. I wish EVERY surround release would include surround maps like this.

I've yet to receive my POB box set [it's enroute] but I am deeply grateful for your 'rational' assessment of the remix. Since the album does contain very sparse instrumentation, I really wasn't expecting an uber discrete remix but I believe you put everything into proper context....and NOW look forward to hearing it for myself.

Thank You!

💯 thank you for an even keeled review. Totally agree with your assessment here.

I know that this isn't about surround material, but I just started listening to the "Elements Mixes". John's isolated vocals on "Mother" - Holy. Moly. I am emotionally drained.

If you are as much of a fan of this album as I am, then you need to get this box, even if you were hoping for a more adventurous surround mix. Yes, I would have loved for the Elements and Raw Mixes to feature a surround option, as we all were expecting, but this box is about so much more than the surround mix for me (and, yes, I know that I'm posting this on a surround forum!). And I still stand by my prior comments about the effectiveness of the surround mix - I just listened again, this time to the Atmos stream (downmixed to 5.1), and I enjoyed it just as much this time through.

Update on my wandering POB box...after 6 days of travel it has now made its way all the way back to Georgia o_O. Apparently spent the weekend in Greensboro, NC....I fear for may package :eek:

Monday, April 26
4:24 PM
Atlanta, GA US
3:12 PM
Doraville, GA US
8:55 AM

Doraville, GA US
Greensboro, NC US
Friday, April 23
Greensboro, NC US
Thursday, April 22
Nashville, TN US
Louisville, KY US
Louisville, KY US
Wednesday, April 21
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
Braselton, GA US
US

Package has shipped

I feel very lucky, mine shipped on Thursday (4/22) and arrived on Friday (4/23) a little after noon with Drastic Plastic. I had pre-ordered POB whenever it was announced and DP on Tuesday (4/20).

DP is definitely a more interesting surround mix, but POB isn't bad. It's not what I was hoping for. My wildest dream was something like Sea Change, which I considered a spare mix when I originally heard the stereo. The surround mix blew me away. POB is not that, but for a recording with so few instruments, the mix was enveloping, I liked the choices made with Lennon's vocals. I don't have Imagine or Gimme Some Truth, so can't compare. Listening to the Blu-Ray was the second time I heard the Album. It was a huge improvement over the Apple Music version I auditioned, POB is a great collection of what appear to have been deeply personal songs for Lennon.

I've always been much more of a Who/Townshend fan than a Beatles/Lennon & McCartney fan, but Pete and The Who are missing the boat by not including surround mixes on their SDRs. I bought this on a single audition listen and skipped the same day release of The Who Sell Out, that did not include a surround mix.

I know that this isn't about surround material, but I just started listening to the "Elements Mixes". John's isolated vocals on "Mother" - Holy. Moly. I am emotionally drained.

What's really struck me after listening to a lot of it is how apparently lighthearted the recording sessions were. By now we all know the John Lennon Story and what he was thinking and going through at the time of POB, but clearly he and the rest were having *fun* at least part of the time.

Granted, we're hearing the best hand-picked bits from what are doubtless countless hours of tape, but still...

I've also been enjoying the back and forth between John and Ringo. I'm sure I knew at some point that Ringo drummed on the album, but it's probably another one of those bits of trivia that enters my head and then promptly exits it. That it's also Ringo backing Yoko's more out-there bits is also amusing to me.

Back